OctaneRender™ 2018.1

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2018.1
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

OctaneRender™ 2018.1

Postby haze » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:20 am

haze Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:20 am
Dear all,

Today we release the first stable of OctaneRender 2018.1. Thanks to all who tested the XB and RC builds - your feedback was vital. Of course it doesn't end there, we will always be open to more feedback.

To use Octane 2018.1, you need to have a Studio or Enterprise subscription license.

Important: we recommend that you upgrade your NVIDIA driver to version 419.17 or newer. There has been some critical fixes in this newer version.

Changes since 2018.1 RC6:

• Fixed undo after pasting a node into a node pin via the node inspector.
  • Fixed undo after camera rotate with alt+left mouse button drag.
  • Fixed noise in shadow pass when using uniform color environment.
  • Fixed there sometimes being dark pixels on the top left of the denoiser output.
  • Fixed inconsistent labelling of color vertex attribute node.
  • Fixed UV set 2 not working on displacement triangles.

What's new in 2018

• Cryptomatte
  • Deep render passes
  • Vectron (analytic geometry)
  • Vertex Attributes
  • Spectron (procedural volumetric light system)
  • Much less volume render noise
  • NV Link support on RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti (Enterprise only)
  • Direct Levelset surface rendering from VDB (can be fed into Vectron)
  • Scatter depth limiting (i.e. fast fog rendering)
  • Cached compressed textures

2018.1 Feature Overview

Cryptomatte

A Cryptomatte pass contains the masks for all object layers or for all materials in a scene. These masks can be used in post-processing to select one or more materials. The masks will be correctly anti-aliased, taking into account motion blur and DOF.

cryptomatte2.png

CM_kitchen.png

Vertex Attributes

You can now use vertex colors or other vertex attributes directly in Octane while rendering materials. Octane will load and interpolate automatically both real numbers and colors over the triangles in the scene, and provide them directly to your OSL shaders.

Vertex attributes test.png

Image Pasted at 2018-10-10 14-37.png

NVLink on consumer GPUs: RTX 2080 Ti and RTX 2080

NVLink gives you the ability to effectively double GPU VRAM by combining two cards into one pool of fast shared (not mirrored) memory. NVLink will currently only work with 2 cards, which either need to be both Quadros, or RTX cards.

SLI mode needs to be enabled for non-Quadro GPUs (TCC mode for Quadros). Ensure you use the bridge over your cards, or you may experience a large performance drop.

Vectron

Octane Vectron (Vector-Polygon) is a new procedural ‘uber’ primitive, providing infinite procedurally generated scenes, volumes, and geometry which bypass meshes and volumes. Vectron is revolutionary in that it has zero memory footprint, driving increased efficiencies when compared to meshes or volumes generated on CPUs. This enables Vectron to provide procedurally generated scenes entirely on the GPU without using GPU VRAM. Vectron provides awesome new tools in an artist’s workflow - and render triangle-free geometry using all of Octane's built in OSL and texture shaders and more.

Procedural Primitives using OSL [Open Shader Language] vector geometry nodes enable artists to create complex shapes, surfaces, volumes, warps, operators and effects. By ‘vectorizing’ meshes and volumes into Vectron objects, artists can now manipulate Vectron nodes in revolutionary new ways. Examples include: spheres, strands, sound waves, infinite planes, liquids, clouds, oceans, flow field and more.

Geometric Operators allow the procedural OSL geometry node graphs workflow to follow the same structure as OSL texture node graphs with 4D mixing, blending, and boundary operator nodes for skinning, Metaballs, and procedural resurfacing. Finally, Boolean operations are also enabled in Octane Vectron.

vectron (1).png

Octane will render SDF surfaces defined using OSL shaders directly without the need to mesh them first. You can change the surfaces with input variables without having to wait for any processing, and you can also create networks of set operations such as unions, subtractions, intersection, and their smooth variants also. None of which need to be meshed before rendering, and all compiled using OSL.

vectron-csg.png

Vectro_op2.png

You can also easily take samples from shadertoy and feed them into the OSL Vectron geometry node like this:

Vectron_Shadertoy.png

Here is an example of an SDF smooth union with a material mix implemented as part of the union:

union_material_2.png

sdf-union-material4.orbx

Less Volume Noise with Fast Fog (new scatter depth limiting)

We have modified the way we integrate over volumes and also introduced a new mechanism that allows you to limit the scattering depth in kernel settings. Often a good result needs only a scatter depth of 2 or 3 bounces, and if you limit the scatter depth to this, you should see a good gain in performance.

volume scatter depth-2.png

We have also improved our integration which results in less noise, particularly near the boundaries of volumes. For this we keep a legacy volume rendering setting in the kernel settings, because volumes look slightly different, but render faster with less noise.

volume-accuracy.png

Spectron and Procedural Volumetric Lights

Octane Spectron is a procedural lighting system enabling artists to create procedurally driven volumetric lighting - like spot lights - with blockers, barn doors, gels (in the distribution pin) and more.

We introduce a basic procedural light node type in 2018.1 XB1 which can be used for quick volumetric effects and spot light generation.

Spectron_spotlight.png

Direct Rendering of Levelset Surfaces

Octane can now render level set surfaces, including those from VDBs, such as this example below without first converting them to meshes.

levelset surface.png

These level sets will also work with Vectron, so that you can add procedural effects over surfaces defined by VDB level sets:

ls-displ.png

DB_DISPPLACE2.png

VDB_displace.png

Downloads

Downloads for users with a Studio subscription license
OctaneRender Studio for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Studio for Windows (zip)
OctaneRender Studio for Mac OS
OctaneRender Studio for Linux

Downloads for users with an Enterprise subscription license
OctaneRender Enterprise for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Enterprise for Windows (zip)
OctaneRender Enterprise for Mac OS
OctaneRender Enterprise for Linux (updated*)

Demo downloads
OctaneRender Demo for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Demo for Windows (zip)
OctaneRender Demo for Mac OS
OctaneRender Demo for Linux

*Linux Enterprise build updated to include missing libsenseEIV.so.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender™ 2018.1 [current 2018.x]

Postby PolderAnimation » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:02 am

PolderAnimation Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:02 am
Great job! Thanks for the release!
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby David_S » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:59 am

David_S Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:59 am
Hi there,

how can I enable network rendering with Studio Version? Or do I need the Enterprise Version for this?

Best
David
David_S
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby nuno1980 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:24 pm

nuno1980 Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:24 pm
PMC kernel issue v3/v4 isn't fixed yet for 2.5 years.......... WHEN???

--> When PMC issue will have been fixed, I'll upgrade FREE to any future version of OR (except free v4 for PMC fixed is FAILED) but I do NOT pay any future version until year 2022 because the developer still waits to fix that issue for 2.5 years.
Last edited by nuno1980 on Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NOTE: I'm sorry for bad english due to mute ;)

i7-12700KF
2x16GB RAM@DDR4-3600
MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4
Zotac GF RTX 4090 NEW! <3 :mrgreen:
SSDs OCZ RD400 0.5TB and Crucial 2TB SATA3
HDD 1TB SATA2
LG BD-RE BH16NS40
PSU 1kW
CRT 21" Sony E530 :D
nuno1980
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby haze » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:18 pm

haze Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:18 pm
David_S wrote:Hi there,

how can I enable network rendering with Studio Version? Or do I need the Enterprise Version for this?

Best
David

Hi David, currently only Enterprise supports network render and NVLink.
haze
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby PolderAnimation » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:51 am

PolderAnimation Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:51 am
Question regarding the extra octane slave we get with the enterprise version.
How does this work? How can I launch it? Where can i download it? Is there any documentation about this?
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby nuno1980 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:01 am

nuno1980 Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:01 am
@haze or any moderator: I get super-confused for the lack of response!! :twisted:
NOTE: I'm sorry for bad english due to mute ;)

i7-12700KF
2x16GB RAM@DDR4-3600
MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4
Zotac GF RTX 4090 NEW! <3 :mrgreen:
SSDs OCZ RD400 0.5TB and Crucial 2TB SATA3
HDD 1TB SATA2
LG BD-RE BH16NS40
PSU 1kW
CRT 21" Sony E530 :D
nuno1980
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby twinsk8 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:11 am

twinsk8 Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:11 am
how can i install it? i try sign out and start again but same window appears again...

Thank you for help
twinsk8
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ramone163 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:04 pm

ramone163 Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:04 pm
How this 2018.1 can be the FINAL one?

Still, when I look inside the volumetric spotlight (Spectron?), it disappears. I wrote about this from the first 2018 RC1.
So this volumetric spotlight is useless when my camera flies through the light.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GPU: 980+1080+1080Ti; 3ds max;
Behance portfolio; Handmadefont.com;
ramone163
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby manalokos » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:22 pm

manalokos Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:22 pm
We have 14 Standalone Licenses, and we are failing to understand how this licensing is working, there is no option for standalone, only subscription?
Will our Standalone licenses become subscriptions? What the hell is going on here?
:evil:
manalokos
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)