rendering scaled-down (or up) characters/props

Forums: rendering scaled-down (or up) characters/props
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

rendering scaled-down (or up) characters/props

Postby gsfcreator » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:39 pm

gsfcreator Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:39 pm
Hi there, folks.

I realized that there are a lots of tweaks to do inside octane in order to transfer textures/displacement maps properly, etc.

If I need to render an object/character, when its scaled down to 5% (or less) of its original size, what should I change in order to have Octane render match the scene in poser? (poser do it automatically, so when I render - it still renders the same regardless of the scale).

here is an example.

actress - normal scale (100%), octane (fast DL render, just for the test):

normal scale.png


same actress at 3%, look what happens to her body tattoos and eyes:

bugs when scaled down.png


fast firefly - the eyes looks strange in octane compared to this, even in normal size:

poser fast render LDL.png


any ideas? thanks for your help and patience, guys!
Core I7-8700K, 32RAM, GTX1080Ti, win10
gsfcreator
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:45 pm

Re: rendering scaled-down (or up) characters/props

Postby wimvdb » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:20 am

wimvdb Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:20 am
I think one of the material (my guess is displacement) is using absolute metric units, not relative units, so they are not scaled down.

Poser uses a very small scale, so be aware of anything which uses absolute units in terms of scale or distance.
Configuration: Windows 10 64bit Creators Edition, I7 6850K, 128GB, 2 GeForce 1080ti, P11 Pro SR6
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:03 pm

Re: rendering scaled-down (or up) characters/props

Postby gsfcreator » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:27 am

gsfcreator Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:27 am
wimvdb wrote:I think one of the material (my guess is displacement) is using absolute metric units, not relative units, so they are not scaled down.

Poser uses a very small scale, so be aware of anything which uses absolute units in terms of scale or distance.


I think you are correct, my friend...is there a way to fix/avoid that?
Core I7-8700K, 32RAM, GTX1080Ti, win10
gsfcreator
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:45 pm

Re: rendering scaled-down (or up) characters/props

Postby wimvdb » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:18 pm

wimvdb Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:18 pm
just reduce the height of the displacement map with the same amount as the model
the model is now at 3%, so her height is 3.8 cm. If the height was 0.001 (is 0.1 cm) reduce it to 0.00003
Configuration: Windows 10 64bit Creators Edition, I7 6850K, 128GB, 2 GeForce 1080ti, P11 Pro SR6
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:03 pm

Re: rendering scaled-down (or up) characters/props

Postby gsfcreator » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:15 pm

gsfcreator Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:15 pm
wimvdb wrote:just reduce the height of the displacement map with the same amount as the model
the model is now at 3%, so her height is 3.8 cm. If the height was 0.001 (is 0.1 cm) reduce it to 0.00003


awesome. thanks! that solved the problem (though I fear there is a hard limit as for how small octane allows me to go...But i'll deal with that bridge when I get there).

do you have any idea regarding the eyes?
Core I7-8700K, 32RAM, GTX1080Ti, win10
gsfcreator
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:45 pm

Re: rendering scaled-down (or up) characters/props

Postby wimvdb » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:15 pm

wimvdb Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:15 pm
I am not really sure. Maybe you need to lower Ray-Epsilon in Kernel section. The distances are so small, that it could be self shadowing. ray-epsilon sets the treshold. In this case i think it should be lower, maybe 0, but that might give other artifacts.

The other way would be to make the entire scene larger in size. Parental all to a group and scale tje group up
Configuration: Windows 10 64bit Creators Edition, I7 6850K, 128GB, 2 GeForce 1080ti, P11 Pro SR6
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 312
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:03 pm

Re: rendering scaled-down (or up) characters/props

Postby gsfcreator » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:30 pm

gsfcreator Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:30 pm
wimvdb wrote:I am not really sure. Maybe you need to lower Ray-Epsilon in Kernel section. The distances are so small, that it could be self shadowing. ray-epsilon sets the treshold. In this case i think it should be lower, maybe 0, but that might give other artifacts.

The other way would be to make the entire scene larger in size. Parental all to a group and scale tje group up


I'll try that, thanks!

regarding the enlarging the entire scene - that's what I was aiming to do in order to use "smaller" cameras :-). I just hope the up-scale will pass properly to octane!
Core I7-8700K, 32RAM, GTX1080Ti, win10
gsfcreator
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:45 pm

Return to Poser


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:35 am [ UTC ]