OctaneRender is currently being used as a benchmark by major hardware review websites to evaluate the CUDA performance of new GPUs (see for example the GeForce GTX 780 reviews using OctaneRender by Tom's Hardware and BOXX Technologies).
In a few weeks time we will launch a newly developed benchmarking tool called OctaneBench, which will allow you to compare the path tracing performance of OctaneRender on different CUDA enabled GPUs in a much easier and more standardized way.
We hope that OctaneBench will become the de facto benchmark for hardware review websites, exposing OctaneRender to a much wider audience. To this end, we decided to start a new competition in which we are looking for a visually amazing benchmark scene from the Octane user community.
The winner will be rewarded with a GeForce GTX 780 and eternal fame by having his or her scene being used and displayed on major hardware websites all over the world (that's what we hope at least). On top of that, we will throw in a free license of a fully integrated OctaneRender plug-in for the host app of your choice.
- the competition starts today and ends on October 1, 2013 at midnight CET
- the theme is free to choose
- the total zipped file size of the scene (geometry and textures) must fit in under 60 MB
- both the 3D models and textures used in the scene should be free from copyright
- the scene should converge to a reasonably noise free image at 1000x600 resolution in under a minute with the path tracing kernel on a GTX 580/680 level GPU (~ 30 seconds on GTX Titan)
- you can include your credentials in the scene (in a non-obtrusive way)
The winner of the competition will be announced on 8 October 2013. Depending on the number and quality of the entries, we will choose one or more scenes that will be bundled with OctaneBench.
To keep everything nice and centralized, please create a topic for your entry in this forum:
To avoid a sudden influx of scenes at the last day of the competition, we will favour scenes of which we have seen WIPs in that forum.
UPDATE (30 Sept): Please email your final scene to [email protected] or if the scene is too large send it via PM to me. Thanks!
Happy modelling and texturing,
the OctaneRender team