stereoscopic cube map support

Forums: stereoscopic cube map support
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

stereoscopic cube map support

Postby v-cube » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:20 pm

v-cube Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:20 pm
hi there,

since there is not much support from otoy for linked stereoscopic panoramas, I wonder if I could use unity to create panoramic tours.

I have a simple question: has anyone managed to get stereoscopic panoramas into unity and connect them by using hotspots?

thank you for any feedback

best

Andreas
4 machines, each with 1 X1070 GTX and 1 X1080 Gtx cards core i7, 32 GB RAM http://www.v-cube.de
User avatar
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:02 am
Location: Aachen, Germany

Re: stereoscopic cube map support

Postby ChrisHekman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:39 pm

ChrisHekman Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:39 pm
v-cube wrote:hi there,

since there is not much support from otoy for linked stereoscopic panoramas, I wonder if I could use unity to create panoramic tours.

I have a simple question: has anyone managed to get stereoscopic panoramas into unity and connect them by using hotspots?

thank you for any feedback

best

Andreas


Hi Andreas

Octane supports steroscopic panoramic rendering.
Simply create a rendertarget, set the camera to panoramic. Then set stereo output to what you need.
You can save the result via the PBR Viewport.

You will probebly have to change the unity texture import setting - texture shape - to cube. And mapping to latitude-longitude in order to use it in unity.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: stereoscopic cube map support

Postby v-cube » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:23 pm

v-cube Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:23 pm
Hi Andreas

Octane supports steroscopic panoramic rendering.
Simply create a rendertarget, set the camera to panoramic. Then set stereo output to what you need.
You can save the result via the PBR Viewport.

You will probebly have to change the unity texture import setting - texture shape - to cube. And mapping to latitude-longitude in order to use it in unity.


Hello Chris,

thank you for your answer, I am well aware that octane can render stereoscopic panoramas, in fact I have been providing them to my clients for over 2 years now...

My question is , if someone has been able to import these stereoscopic cube maps into unity and assign them as a skybox / background (or whatever it is called...) .
The reason I am asking are the limited possibilities to create panoramic tours by scripting as I have to do now.
My hope is to be able to add further content like mouseover text boxes and alike within unity to enrich the clients experience.

best regards

Andreas
4 machines, each with 1 X1070 GTX and 1 X1080 Gtx cards core i7, 32 GB RAM http://www.v-cube.de
User avatar
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:02 am
Location: Aachen, Germany

Re: stereoscopic cube map support

Postby ChrisHekman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:05 pm

ChrisHekman Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:05 pm
Ah ok, that is more a unity question.
Yes the render results from Octane can definitely be used by unity as cubemaps and placed on a skydome.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: stereoscopic cube map support

Postby v-cube » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:39 pm

v-cube Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:39 pm
ChrisHekman wrote:Ah ok, that is more a unity question.
Yes the render results from Octane can definitely be used by unity as cubemaps and placed on a skydome.


yes, you are right, it is more a unity question, but I thought maybe there is someone in the unity forum who could help me ( or even a dev...)
You say that it is definitely possible to use octanes stereoscopic panoramas in unity ?
-> That's great, do you have any links or docs for me maybe ?

thanks

Andreas
4 machines, each with 1 X1070 GTX and 1 X1080 Gtx cards core i7, 32 GB RAM http://www.v-cube.de
User avatar
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:02 am
Location: Aachen, Germany

Re: stereoscopic cube map support

Postby ChrisHekman » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:21 pm

ChrisHekman Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:21 pm
v-cube wrote:
ChrisHekman wrote:Ah ok, that is more a unity question.
Yes the render results from Octane can definitely be used by unity as cubemaps and placed on a skydome.


yes, you are right, it is more a unity question, but I thought maybe there is someone in the unity forum who could help me ( or even a dev...)
You say that it is definitely possible to use octanes stereoscopic panoramas in unity ?
-> That's great, do you have any links or docs for me maybe ?

thanks

Andreas


Yes. Unity 2017.3 and higher have stereo panoramic skybox material that can use Octane stereo panoramic renders. Seems that unity supports both side-by-side and over-under
Here is an example. Havnt tested it in VR yet personally.
Example.png


More here:
https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.1/Documen ... ramic.html
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: stereoscopic cube map support

Postby v-cube » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:20 pm

v-cube Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:20 pm
thank you very much Chris !

I have not noticed that when I looked at unity the last time...

I will try this out ASAP

thanks again

Andreas
4 machines, each with 1 X1070 GTX and 1 X1080 Gtx cards core i7, 32 GB RAM http://www.v-cube.de
User avatar
v-cube
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 392
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:02 am
Location: Aachen, Germany

Return to Octane for Unity


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:09 am [ UTC ]