Octane Stability

Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)
Post Reply
interelectronix
Licensed Customer
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:25 am

Right now I am so fed up with Octane because the amount of bugs are unbearable for production work especially on OSX.

As much as I like Octane and the look the pain is hardly worth it.

No I will no longer report the bug all the time because it is a full time job.

This is my feedback from Grok to remove the bias a little.
Screenshot 2026-10-06 at 13.54.37.png
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
Posts: 1553
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:10 pm

I understand the frustration when bugs get in the way of production, and I appreciate that reporting them takes time.

To be clear, I don’t personally test the Mac version because I don’t own a Mac. My experience with Octane for Blender on Windows has been very positive. That doesn’t invalidate your experience, but it does mean we should be careful about generalizing across platforms and integrations.

Regarding the Grok response, quoting an AI-generated answer doesn’t “remove the bias” or provide independent verification. The prompt already frames Octane as “buggy as hell,” and a response agreeing with that premise is not a technical assessment. Any claims it makes still need sources, context, and verification.

Your firsthand experience is far more relevant than Grok’s commentary. If you’ve already reported these issues, links to those reports would help us keep this discussion focused on the specific problems without asking you to document everything again.
interelectronix
Licensed Customer
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2023 9:25 am

Thank you Lino,

you nailed the problem. OSX is not in focus testing at OTOY and this is the reason the OSX version is so bad.

The windows Nvidia Version is very stable I can second that because we use it as a render node and sometimes to work on. The OSX version is nowhere near. There are so many unsolved bugs and whenever a new release we go through some of the shit again.

You get the look and all the nice things but many features are half baked and sound nice on paper but are not in reality. I am talking stricly OSX here.

I would love to stick with Octane but it is unbearable. You can believe me this is not an easy decision for us because the material library needs a full rebuild and many ongoing projects need to be converted. This switch will cost us 10k+ in the long run but it is still cheaper than chasing all the bugs.

Sometimes you have to cut a little off.

We have canceled the subscription yesterday but there is almost a year left to support the transition. Let´s see how the transition works or if we have to come back and bite the bullet.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
Posts: 1553
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:10 pm

Thanks for clarifying. I understand how disruptive recurring issues can be, especially with ongoing projects.

Just to clarify my earlier point: the fact that I personally don’t test on Mac doesn’t mean the platform isn’t being tested at OTOY. We’ve recently added new testers dedicated to the macOS version, which should help us catch platform-specific issues and regressions earlier and improve stability.

I know that doesn’t resolve the problems you’re facing today, but it’s a concrete step, and I expect things to improve as a result.
Post Reply

Return to “Blender”