Questions on Random Walk SSS

Forums: Questions on Random Walk SSS
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: Questions on Random Walk SSS

Postby Despot » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:35 pm

Despot Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:35 pm
@Notiusweb

1. I haven't found the hot pixel problem - and I've tried multiple scenarios.
2. I also cannot replicate the 'darkening' that you are experiencing.
3. I've found that Random Walk SSS works perfectly well with the Daylight system.

You'll find that both the legacy 'Scattering' and 'Random Walk' will always look a lot better when using path tracing or PMC as full light transport will be calculated - this won't happen with Direct lighting as there is no indirect light being calculated.
Despot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:25 am

Notiusweb Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:25 am
Hey D,
Give this scene a whirl, I think you will see the Hot Pixel Phenomenon.
It happens the more separated the Transmission and Radius colors are.
The thing with my characters is that I like to have them with a heavier SSS like red-pink, not a soft white-pink.
But, the closer I being them to parity,then the Hot Pixel disappears. But it limits the utility of some of the SSS here.

The other thing was a mis-type, I mean to say Direct Lighting and I put Daylight.
So if you use Direct Lighting, the Random Walk SSS will be black, whereas with path Tracing it will render.
The thing here again is the utility of it here is less than a traditional SSS, where I could render the object either way.

RandomWalk_HotPixel.orbx
(91.98 MiB) Downloaded 237 times

Thx!
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby feels » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:56 pm

feels Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:56 pm
J.C wrote:Sure, here is my material setup:

Material:
material setup.png

Medium details. Here I'm using color for radius:
medium.png

Diffuse details:
diffuse.png

Hi JC, thanks for sharing this - looks awesome! I'm trying to replicate this and curious about the layer group of specular and sheen layers on the right portion of the node trees. As soon as I try to add them, the look appears too glassy. Are you just using very small opacity percentages for both layers, or are you using maybe thin film to give you just reflections? Would love to hear more about your approach. Thank you!
feels
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:57 am

J.C Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:57 am
feels wrote:Hi JC, thanks for sharing this - looks awesome! I'm trying to replicate this and curious about the layer group of specular and sheen layers on the right portion of the node trees. As soon as I try to add them, the look appears too glassy. Are you just using very small opacity percentages for both layers, or are you using maybe thin film to give you just reflections? Would love to hear more about your approach. Thank you!

Hi feels, in Specular layer I enabled Thin layer, added roughness map and bump map.
specular layer setup.png
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Development Build Releases