OctaneRender™ 2020.1 XB1 [superseded by 2020.1 XB2]

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2020.1 XB1 [superseded by 2020.1 XB2]
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2020.1 XB1

Postby funk » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:10 am

funk Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:10 am
I have some questions regarding ACES support. I'm only learning about ACES at the moment and don't really have first hand experience, so please excuse the dumb questions.

As far as I can tell, we need to transform all inputs (textures and colors) to the correct ACES colorspace BEFORE anything is rendered eg. Just like we linearize sRGB images, using an approximation of 2.2 gamma on RGB image nodes.

So I'm confused at what the point of saving to an ACES container is? Don't we need an additional option on our image nodes, to select ACES, so they are converted before being used by the renderer? Or an additional node to plug in after our texture/color nodes, which will convert them to ACES first?

Can someone at OTOY explain please?

EDIT: Here is a post on the chaosgroup forum related to what Im talking about:
https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/cha ... ost1023625
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Agendum » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:58 am

Agendum Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:58 am
Gavnomaster wrote:Otoy will generally listen to its users who invest in product development? Give us normal licenses, give us working plugins. Otherwise, you will lose customers, your reputation will drop. :shock: :? :idea:

+1

Feels like the loyal customer base (who are too forgiving) is being exploited.
Agendum
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:13 am

Goldorak Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:13 am
Agendum wrote:
Gavnomaster wrote:Otoy will generally listen to its users who invest in product development? Give us normal licenses, give us working plugins. Otherwise, you will lose customers, your reputation will drop. :shock: :? :idea:

+1

Tell us how we can specifically help and we will do if at all possible. Always here to support the costumer.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Gregor.Zimmermann » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:45 am

Gregor.Zimmermann Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:45 am
Hi,

I can't seem to find the $399 version as well. How should I go about it?
Also - is there a way to test 2020.1 XB1 without buying it first?
I'm on a regular V4 without AA, but the download links are only for subscription users.
I don't wanna buy something that I haven't had the chance to test before...
Attachments
Octane_Pricing.png
Gregor.Zimmermann
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jolbertoquini » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:47 am

Jolbertoquini Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:47 am
Goldorak wrote:
scooternva wrote:Well, it is a beta release. Still, this is discouraging preliminary news.

RTX is completely scene dependent. Here are two users seeing 3x speed out of the box with 2020.1:

90CE941E-493B-4074-A8D9-6642D14D8508.jpeg

4AEB308D-253E-44DB-8C2D-F9682378ECA1.jpeg

So if RTX isn’t giving you that kind of speed boost then the raytracing HW simply can’t help your scene - and that’s OK, it should just render as it did before RTX was an option. We will make it so that it will automatically be at least as fast as CUDA, and this current bug will be fixed by the stable release.

Hi Jules,

I already give my scenes for you Guys for the Siggraph the two ones "Baby Groot" and "R2D2", I though with that update would support better, please let me know if I need send then again is not a problem.

Best,
JO
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jolbertoquini » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:56 am

Jolbertoquini Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:56 am
mojave wrote:@Jolbertoquini @LFedit @cgpanda @omegear @ivansemenow

Hi,

For those of you not finding the expected results after enabling RTX please check this is not your case:

• Driver version should be at least 435.80 for Windows or 435.12 for Linux. This is when OptiX support was introduced by Nvidia in their drivers, so anything below this will result in RTX being disabled and getting the same results.
  • Just simple triangles are supported via RTX acceleration in this version. This means that other geometry types such as particles, hair and triangles with rounded edges (those using the fast rounded edges shader) are still being rendered the usual way. If your scene is heavy in these you may not see a noticeable improvement. More primitive types will be added in future releases.
  • RTX does not accelerate all scenes equally. Those scenes with heavier ray tracing loads will benefit the most while those with very heavy shading should still see some improvements but not as large.

If this is not your case we would appreciate if you could please share a test scene via PM so we can take a look at it.

Please keep in mind this is an experimental build and we appreciate all feedback we can get from you.

Thank you.

Hi,

Thanks for the information, yes I have all checked, indeed is all scenes we have hairs,particles, triangles and round edges cause is pretty much standard on the projects, Is good to know still not supported, I just though it was due the fact you guys changed the system, I will give a further test with really simple scenes.

Any idea or plans for the support of this features?

best,
JO
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby dinf » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:46 pm

dinf Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:46 pm
Hi there,

some questions about the licensing, let me see if I've got it right:

1. As a 4.x user, the €499 Enterprise upgrade path would lead to the perpetual 2020.x like it does a new 699€ Enterprise Box License?
2. A new Enterprise Box License contains 1 (one) perpetual Standalone, 1 (one) perpetual DCC plugin and access to all other plugins as long as maintenance is doing, 1 year in this case, right? So how do I get another perpetual DCC plugin, as I like to buy one for lets say Modo and Blender also, beneath e.g. C4D and Houdini wich are already in my pipeline. Am I right that I have to buy 1 Enterprice Box for each more perpetual DCC Plugin, or are there some hidden paths to get there?
3. Theres one 1.x license left in my licenses. In the case I am right with #1., then I may upgrade the 1.x standalone to 4.x and then again upgrade it to perpetual 2020.x with the same €499?
4. If so, how long will these prices stay, until newyear?

Thanks in advance!
| Win 10 | 64 GB RAM | AMD 5900X | RTX 3080 12 GB| C4D 21| C4Doctane v2022.1.1|
dinf
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Agendum » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:20 pm

Agendum Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:20 pm
Goldorak wrote:
Agendum wrote:

+1

Tell us how we can specifically help and we will do if at all possible. Always here to support the costumer.

General consensus is that the pricing system shouldnt be a system at all, its existence invites the idea that a scheme is trying to undercut the current customers and potential customers. There doesnt appear to be options to perpetually own newer plugin versions alone (majority of people only use a single plugin and are less than excited for temporary All-Access.) Customers look down on subscriptions.

Then comes the supposed "discounts" from customers who've been using it for years wanting to upgrade on TOP of Black Friday discounts which makes for unsatisfactory pricing. I would have to pay more to upgrade than I did initially paid in total when I could just switch to a rival competitor with better pricing because the current pricing paradigm makes upgrading an inferior choice.

Many of us users have invested time learning and money for the Octane plugin ecosystem including RTX cards. Hobbyists are beginning to consider migrating to alternatives.

The new features look great but the the pricing.......not so much. I cannot justify upgrading even as much as I want want these new features. Instead Im stuck staying with V4 (from v3) which had the best features-to-price ratio at the time of initial purchase. $370 for the standalone in 2017 (which I dont use) and $269 for C4D plugin last year that I exclusively use and I own perpetually.
Agendum
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby chrisbrearley » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:58 pm

chrisbrearley Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:58 pm
What ACES display transform is it rendering to? ACESCC, ACESCCT, ACESCG?
chrisbrearley
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby alaman64 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:22 pm

alaman64 Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:22 pm
Same here, new pricing makes no sense for me, In Canadian dollars it's $45/month. I'm not making money of this, it's just a hobby.
Asus Z97-A / usb 3.1 - Windows 10 - 980 ti - Titan Black - Titan Z - Daz Studio
alaman64
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases