IMPORTANT 1: If you get a "Package not compatible" error when installing the plugin, please follow the instructions at https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/5/rhi-problems -> "Package not compatible".
IMPORTANT 2: If you get an "Unable to load OctaneRenderForRhino.rhp plugin: initialization failed" error when starting the plugin, delete the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-Ins\F109BD23-4CF3-4C0B-9F83-06BE474B0152 and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\McNeel\Rhinoceros\6.0\Plug-Ins\F109BD23-4CF3-4C0B-9F83-06BE474B0152 registry entries using Regedit and then reinstall the plugin.
If the above does not resolve the problem, then delete HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\McNeel\Rhinoceros from the registry.
IMPORTANT 3: If you get an "OctaneRender for Rhino not activated." error when rendering via the Rhino->Render->Render menu, open the plugin Setup window via the OctaneRenderForRhino command, or by adding the plugin panel to the Rhino Properties window as per https://docs.otoy.com/RhinoH/RhinoPluginManual.htm#Rhinoceros/InstallationofthePluginintoRhinoceros.htm.
This version requires Rhino5, SR14 or later or Rhino6, SR14 or later on Windows. MacOSX is not currently supported.
Unless you have a subscription license, you will have to upgrade your version 3 licenses to version 4. This upgrade is free and can be done via these 4 steps:
- Go to https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/purchase/
- Select "Upgrade" in the top menu.
- Click on "UPGRADE NOW" next to "Upgrade existing licenses to OctaneRender 4".
- Select the licenses you want to upgrade and confirm.
To use this version, you need a GPU of compute model 3.0 or higher. Support for Fermi GPUs (like GTX 4xx and 5xx) has been dropped. Also make sure you use a driver of version 387 or higher and if you are working on Mac OS that have a CUDA driver installed that supports at least CUDA 9.1.
For Network Rendering, you must use the Octane slave release from the Octane Standalone installer which matches the exact Octane version of the plugin you are using. This version matches OctaneRender Standalone 4.00.
If you have a support issue, pls provide the following information:
- Operating System (ie. Win XP, Vista, 7, 8)
- 32 or 64 bit
- Amount of RAM
- Graphics Card(s) - model (ie. GTX 580, 3GB)
- Nvidia driver version
- Rhino version and build number
- OctaneRender for Rhino version (ie. 188.8.131.52)
For more information
- Watch Iceglance's quickstart tutorial http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=36299
- Read the on-line manual
- Watch the "Getting Started" video http://vimeo.com/73202740
- Post your question on this forum thread
- To learn more about the new features and improvements of OctaneRender 4, please check out our blog post.
- Prior to rendering a Sun Study, Flythru Animation or Bongo Animation, you must select the Perspective Viewport in Rhino that the animation uses
Current STABLE build (Octane 4.04 & 4.05)
- For users with a Regular license
Previous STABLE build (Octane 4.04)
- For users with a Regular license
- Added additional checks to ensure the Viewport is visible on a screen after using two monitors
- Compiled with Octane 4.05
- Experimental support for Rhino Clipping Planes
- Changes for HDR Light Studio support
- Fixed issue where loading or importing scenes after the first scene had been loaded was incorrectly setting the rendertarget settings
- Fixed issue where LiveDb material thumbnails were not displaying correctly when the Windows UI had been scaled
- Fixed issue where Texture Mapping changes for meshes where Live Update enabled where not being live updated in the Octane Viewport when the texture mapping widget was used
- Fixed issue where opening an Octane Material in the Material panel would not show the material tree if the OctaneRender panel had not been opened
- Compiled with Octane 2018.1.1
- Fixed crash when loading the plugin with the Material tab selected
- Fixed issue where Texture Mapping changes for meshes where Live Update enabled where not being live updated in the Octane Viewport
- Fixed issue where an incorrect message appeared if you tried to use the Rhino Render->Render menu option to render when you had not yet opening the plugin Setup panel
- Compiled with Octane 4.02.1
- Increased the maximum resolution to approx 15k x 10k (on a 16GB RAM system).
- Fixed issue where importing an ORBX when adding a material for a layer was not working correctly
- The Albedo of a Universal material is now rendered in the Rhino Rendered preview window
- Multiple changes to fix issues with Octane material previews, and the appearance of Octane materials in the Rhino Rendered and Raytraced viewports. NOTE: This will need the final release of Rhino6 SR13 to work correctly
- Compiled with Octane 4.01.1
- Internal changes to support HDR Light Studio
- Resolved rare issue where loading a .3dm file with a blank texture file would raise an exception
- Fixed bug causes proxies to be placed at the center of the scene in Rhino6
- Fixed issue where thumbnails were not updating correctly
- Fixed Safe Frame not working with the Rhino6 version of the plugin
- Compiled with Octane 4.00 RC 7
- Fixed issue where the Setup tree menu Sync to Rhino options were not being loaded correctly when loading a .3dm
- Fixed exception being raised when doing a File->New
- Compiled with Octane 4.00 RC6
- Fixed issue where the Reload Texturemaps function was not working
- Octane 4.00 RC5
- Fixed multiple issues causing the Rhino rendered view not showing Octane Image maps correctly
- Fixed material thumbnails not rendering with the Octane 4 version of the plugin
- Compiled with Octane 4.00 RC4
- Changed Devices tab to use the Octane API panel
- Added Denoiser options in the Imager settings
- Added Denoised Beauty pass to the Select Render Pass combobox on the Viewport toolbar
- Added Kernel AI Light options
- Added RenderPasses Denoiser passes
- Fixed pause state being lost when restarting a completed render