OctaneRender™ 4 RC 7

Forums: OctaneRender™ 4 RC 7
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 4 RC 7 [latest version 4]

Postby VVG » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:11 am

VVG Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:11 am
kacperspala wrote:What is the status of the stable version? It is almost a month since this 'we can get the stable version out next week' version and 8 months since the announcement of octane 4.

it`s "The NeverEnding Story" :lol: :D
Win 10x64, AMD 1950x 16C/32T, RAM 32Gb, RTX 3060x3
Octane-for-C4D(R23.110)2021.x.x, Cycles4D, Centileo. Nvidia 472.47 STUDIO
VVG
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:00 pm

frankmci Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:00 pm
kacperspala wrote:What is the status of the stable version? It is almost a month since this 'we can get the stable version out next week' version and 8 months since the announcement of octane 4.

In 25 years of 3D animation work, I don't think there has ever been a truly stable version of anything, just more or less unstable. If you always wait for stability, you'll never get anything done. :)
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tim_grove » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:07 pm

tim_grove Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:07 pm
frankmci wrote:

In 25 years of 3D animation work, I don't think there has ever been a truly stable version of anything, just more or less unstable. If you always wait for stability, you'll never get anything done. :)

I think stable in this case means it won't break under normal use and currently it still does.
tim_grove
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby frankmci » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:21 pm

frankmci Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:21 pm
tim_grove wrote:
frankmci wrote:

I think stable in this case means it won't break under normal use and currently it still does.

I think what "breaks under normal use" is pretty subjective. There are always some required work-arounds for elements that seem like they should work, that used to work, that sometimes work, that require babysitting and hand-holding, that cause headaches under deadline. With any tools as complex as those used in production level 3D animation and rendering there will be some things that glitch out, that behave oddly, behave unreliably, that crash a render job and just are just generally unruly. It's a constant battle between technological growth, new features, backward compatibility and inter-feature compatibility. If you have ever had a "stable" pro 3D tool, you were probably just lucky to not be using the elements that happened to be glitchy at that particular time.

Part of what this profession entails is the creative problem solving required to work around these inevitable shortcomings and get the job done. Sure, push the developers to resolve the most problematic issues, but don't let them stop you from moving ahead.

My humble opinion.
Technical Director - C4D, Maya, AE, - Washington DC
frankmci
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tim_grove » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:23 am

tim_grove Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:23 am
frankmci wrote:I think what "breaks under normal use" is pretty subjective. There are always some required work-arounds for elements that seem like they should work, that used to work, that sometimes work, that require babysitting and hand-holding, that cause headaches under deadline. With any tools as complex as those used in production level 3D animation and rendering there will be some things that glitch out, that behave oddly, behave unreliably, that crash a render job and just are just generally unruly. It's a constant battle between technological growth, new features, backward compatibility and inter-feature compatibility. If you have ever had a "stable" pro 3D tool, you were probably just lucky to not be using the elements that happened to be glitchy at that particular time.

Part of what this profession entails is the creative problem solving required to work around these inevitable shortcomings and get the job done. Sure, push the developers to resolve the most problematic issues, but don't let them stop you from moving ahead.

My humble opinion.

I completely agree with you, and I share the same enthusiasm for problem solving myself. However in this case there are major functions that still don't work. A good example is this scene I shared in the C4D forum, displacement combined with projection nodes seems to be wildly unstable giving Cuda 700 errors regularly. Apparently this is a problem with standalone.

I'm all for the slightly "unstable stable" release, and granted they are getting more stable as time goes by but when major functions like displacement just don't work it's a deal breaker.
Attachments
Displacement 700.zip
(87.72 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
tim_grove
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:27 am

FrankPooleFloating Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:27 am
Have you tried making your displacement 16bit?
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kacperspala » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:28 am

kacperspala Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:28 am
frankmci wrote:

I am sorry. How is your 25 years of 3d animation work having anything to do with me asking what is the status of the stable version? No one asked about it, no one care. Also there is a term call software stable version in software development cycle so maybe use 1% of your 25 years to read about that before trying to change the subject.
kacperspala
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby tim_grove » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:20 am

tim_grove Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:20 am
FrankPooleFloating wrote:Have you tried making your displacement 16bit?

It's a checks node, not sure if there is a setting I am missing to interpret bitrate.

I have the checked everything else including drivers, updates and adjusting TDR on my cards. Not sure what else to troubleshoot.
tim_grove
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:08 am

abstrax Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:08 am
tim_grove wrote:
frankmci wrote:I think what "breaks under normal use" is pretty subjective. There are always some required work-arounds for elements that seem like they should work, that used to work, that sometimes work, that require babysitting and hand-holding, that cause headaches under deadline. With any tools as complex as those used in production level 3D animation and rendering there will be some things that glitch out, that behave oddly, behave unreliably, that crash a render job and just are just generally unruly. It's a constant battle between technological growth, new features, backward compatibility and inter-feature compatibility. If you have ever had a "stable" pro 3D tool, you were probably just lucky to not be using the elements that happened to be glitchy at that particular time.

My humble opinion.

I completely agree with you, and I share the same enthusiasm for problem solving myself. However in this case there are major functions that still don't work. A good example is this scene I shared in the C4D forum, displacement combined with projection nodes seems to be wildly unstable giving Cuda 700 errors regularly. Apparently this is a problem with standalone.

I'm all for the slightly "unstable stable" release, and granted they are getting more stable as time goes by but when major functions like displacement just don't work it's a deal breaker.

The problem was just reported to us this weekend (by a different user) and I spent 3 days to get to the bottom of it and fix it. If it would have been reported earlier, we would have fixed it earlier. It's one of the reasons why the stable version hasn't been released yet.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby tim_grove » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:23 am

tim_grove Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:23 am
abstrax wrote:
tim_grove wrote:

My humble opinion.

The problem was just reported to us this weekend (by a different user) and I spent 3 days to get to the bottom of it and fix it. If it would have been reported earlier, we would have fixed it earlier. It's one of the reasons why the stable version hasn't been released yet.

I would have reported it if I had found it earlier. But only found it when using displacement the other day.
tim_grove
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases