OctaneRender™ 4 RC 7

Forums: OctaneRender™ 4 RC 7
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 4 RC 7 [latest version 4]

Postby Refracty » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:39 am

Refracty Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:39 am
I
FrankPooleFloating wrote:Yes. I played with all kinds of different settings, including Ray Epsilon. Try making a ground plane and a specular "ice" plane. Displace ice so it is popping through ground. My object that ice and snow displace through is also displaced, though I do not think that makes any difference. My displacement is being driven by LW procedural into texture map.. and I don't think that matters either. Like I said, with LW displacement I am g-t-g...

Is your scene far from the origin?
This can invoke problems.

And I guess your scene scale is set correctly.
Refracty
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:09 pm

FrankPooleFloating Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:09 pm
Is your scene far from the origin? No

And I guess your scene scale is set correctly. Yes
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:08 pm

abstrax Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:08 pm
PolderAnimation wrote:When trying to bake a dirt texture node to a texture I get weird artifacts.

I use a bake camera.
I render in infochannels kernel in diffuse filter
I use a dirt texture with invert normals

Thanks for the report. Until now, the info channel kernel / info passes don't support dirt. Instead of fixing the artifacts caused by some uninitialized values, we will add dirt support to the next release.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby roeland » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:47 am

roeland Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:47 am
Notiusweb wrote:Some very screwy stuff with the OSL texture UI:
1 - It saves over files without you intending to if you use the Standalone OSL editor...it has a save over this file icon that will just all of the sudden grey out, and it overwrites the file without you wanting it to
2 - the UI allows you to load in new OSL, but when you do, it still works as if you didn't load in a new one. Then it overwrites (see above 1) and it saves the original OSL over the newly loaded in file!
3 - sometimes when you load in a new OSL file, it remembers the last version of it somehow. (ie- if you have a syntax error line 12, it will remember the syntax error, and even if you fix externally and load in with only 11 lines, it still says error line 12). You have to close out everything, standalone itself, load in again after editing. Even still, it sometimes holds on to the previous iteration some how, so you have to externally create a new one with a new file name
4 - More generally, with the standalone UI for a texture's Projection Node, if you select 'OSL UV', it is not working....it does nothing.

1 – the button is greyed out if the document currently has no changes.

2 – AFAIK the new file will also be shown in the OSL editor.

3 – If a compilation fails the device code will not be updated, as this is potentially a slow process.
The issue with reloading is a bug. To work around for now, use the reload button in the node inspector.

4 – OSL UV node is used together with the built-in _evaluateDelayed() function (docs). On the other hand “OSL Projection” lets you write OSL code to create custom UVs.
roeland
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby funk » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:03 pm

funk Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:03 pm
I had to use the batch rendering script to do something today and discovered some bugs:

1) The framerate slider shows 1.0, rather than the FPS shown in Octane (though it doesnt seem to affect the result)
2) If you enable "start file numbering at", it is completely ignored. This affects all options (saving layered exr, discreet, deep, start and end frames etc)
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mac3d » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:44 am

mac3d Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:44 am
Hi guys,i have a problem with this version when I use the kernel infochannel.

When I use the infochannel kernel the sofa disappears from the scene

With other kernels it works correctly.
Attachments
nodegraph.jpg
pt.jpg
Path tracing
info.jpg
Info channel
My Computer:i7 2,6ghz ram 8gb schede video nvidia 9600tso 512mb gtx560ti 1gb mainboard asus p6t se sistema operativo:Ubuntu 14.10 64 bit
mac3d
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:47 pm

Notiusweb Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:47 pm
Look at this Mystery! :P

I have a scene, where I have a TV as an emitter, and emission works properly, but the 'self-brightness' of the TV itself only shows in a mirror reflection, but not in the actual 'reality'.

Is there a setting I am missing, some sort of "Show Emitter self-brightness in reflection, but not in actual scene component itself"?
(pretty sure there is...)

And, can I do this in real life? :twisted:

Thanks for any help!

Left
-TV in real,
-emitting light
-no self-brightness

Right
-TV reflection
-emitting light
-self-brightness present

TVMystery.jpg

And look at this, if I set the emitter as 2-sided, it works, but just the back 'glow' of the self-brightness, in both parts? :?:
Because, look how much stronger it is in the reflection, as reflection shows both forward self-brightness, and backwards self-brightness.

TVMystery.2.jpg

Also, if we could harness this power into giving free-lighting virtually, that would be awesome! :mrgreen:
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:39 pm

Notiusweb Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:39 pm
Okay, so if I adjust the opacity on the emission material, I can get the real foreground to match the reflection.
But any ideas how come the mirrored part won't reflect the opacity of the foreground, thx!

Ohhhhhhhhhh....
Wait - I have to uncheck "Visible on Specular" to make it appear or not appear...
:oops:

A little counter intuitive, but then again, everything is, including my perception....
our existence is counter intuitive... :geek:

How are the poor folks using Unity plugin, and the future UE4 plugin, supposed to figure this stuff out...
They are not as smart and nimble as I am, you know?
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby calus » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:35 pm

calus Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:35 pm
So it's possible in the Image Tiles Texture node to setup a pattern for most of the UV tile naming conventions,
except for the UDIM convention ?

iI mean with %u, %v and %i placehoders,it doesn't seem to be enough to setup the UDIM pattern ... or did I miss something ?

Please add support to the UDIM convention by allowing to define a pattern following this fonction :
Code: Select all
udim = 1001 + u + (10 * v)
(with u tile index between 0 and 9)

PS: obviously I know I can load by hand each tile one by one at the right UV tile index but this would defeat completely the purpose of UDIM.
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby roeland » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:53 pm

roeland Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:53 pm
calus wrote:So it's possible in the Image Tiles Texture node to setup a pattern for most of the UV tile naming conventions,
except for the UDIM convention ?

You can set it up as follows:
  • The grid is 10 tiles wide.
  • Use the %i placeholder for single index
  • Set the start index to 1001
  • 4 digits.
roeland
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases