OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.07 TEST 7

Forums: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.07 TEST 7
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.07 TEST 7

Postby abstrax » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:45 am

abstrax Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:45 am
Hi all,

This is hopefully the last or second last test build until we can declare 3.07 as stable. This version fixes various issues and improves the FBX import/export, node graph editor drawing performance and the object handles.

For an overview of all the main changes of 3.07, please check out the new features post.

We are aiming for a stable build of 3.07 next week. Getting the FBX import/export and glTF import into a mature state will probably take a couple minor versions, but all the rest should hopefully be solid by the end of next week. Our goal is to release a first public test build of 3.08 as soon as 3.07 stable is outor only a few days after. We can't promise because we haven't finished all necessary work yet, but we really want to get 3.08 into your hands as quickly as possible.

Changes since version 3.07 TEST 6:

• Added support for joints that are not used for deformation, but still provide transformations in the skeleton hierarchy.
  • Added support for importing and exporting subdivision surfaces from/to FBX.
  • Added support for importing and exporting sub-frame animations from/to FBX.
  • Added support for scaling in the FBX import.
  • Added listing of available GPUs during the installation of a net render daemon.
  • Added support for object handles for geometry that is rendered via the preview render target.
  • Improved drawing performance of the node graph editor, which slowed down a lot when very large node graphs are displayed.
  • Improved render speed of material preview.
  • Improved rendering of object handles in small scenes.
  • Improved single line text fields in the node inspector.
  • Improved compact display of directory/file inputs in the node inspector.
  • Improved reporting of LiveDB upload errors.
  • Improved appearance of object handle buttons.
  • Fixed missing contribution of volumes to the SSS pass.
  • Fixed dirt texture in emitters.
  • Fixed emission of sphere primitives.
  • Fixed artifacts in background pixels of info passes, if scattering media are used in the scene (see viewtopic.php?p=323067#p323067).
  • Fixed CUDA failure if a gradient texture is used that has unconnected control point texture pins.
  • Fixed incorrect selection of transformation node for the object handles in some cases.
  • Fixed rendering of the object handles in some cases and disabled rendering of them if they are behind the camera.
  • Fixed loading of the net render daemon selection from the preferences.
  • Fixed picking offset when the render viewport shows scrollbars.
  • Fixed global drop events being blocked by the outliner.
  • Fixed various FBX import/export bugs.
  • Fixed single-click on numeric fields on OSX (see viewtopic.php?p=323034#p323034).

Downloads for users with a regular license

regular version for Windows (ZIP archive)
regular version for Windows (installer)
regular version for Mac OS X (DMG archive)
regular version for Linux (ZIP archive)

Downloads for users with a subscription license

subscription version for Windows (ZIP archive)
subscription version for Windows (installer)
subscription version for Mac OS X (DMG archive)
subscription version for Linux (ZIP archive)

Photoshop workflow plugin download

You can download and install the current Photoshop workflow plugin (1.0.5) either via the Adobe Exchange platform or you can download it from the link below and manually install it.

Windows and Mac OS X
Photoshop extension (v1.0.5) (ZXP archive)

Happy rendering,
Your OTOY NZ Team
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Re: OctaneRender™ Standalone 3.07 TEST 7 [latest 3.xx]

Postby PolderAnimation » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:36 am

PolderAnimation Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:36 am
Looking good, also nice to hear about 3.08! Thanks for the update.
Could you add an additional info pass? I would really like a falloff pass (like the falloff node in octane).

Cheers,
Sander
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby PolderAnimation » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:43 am

PolderAnimation Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:43 am
What really works nice in some 3D programs are shortcuts toggle between world space and object space for the manipulators.
Of example if you use the shortcuts W E R for translation rotation and scale.
By double pressing W you can toggle worldspace and object space for translation. This works very intuitive and is very quick.
This would also be a nice thing to add.
Win 10 64bit | RTX 3090 | i9 7960X | 64GB
PolderAnimation
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:12 pm

funk Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:12 pm
abstrax wrote:[*] Fixed dirt texture in emitters.

Can you also get dirt textures working in the material passes? eg. if you plug dirt into a diffuse material's diffuse pin, then add a MATERIAL PASSES > diffuse filter, you see some random noise instead of the dirt texture
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jolbertoquini » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:56 am

Jolbertoquini Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:56 am
Hi Abstrax,

Any news about displacement? "mesh size" issue https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=61819&p=316181#p316181
and "continuity " from this posts https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=61634&hilit=displacement as well mix texture for displacement would be great.

Cheers,
JO
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:56 pm

Notiusweb Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:56 pm
Hello, Just reporting back on FBX.
I see more consistency with timelines and geometry, hit or miss with characters.
For example, current iteration does not like Daz Studio FBX character exports, sometimes crashes, or loads in with slots for the geometries, but then in viewport, no respective geometries are present. Or, some will be missing. (ie - I will see eyeballs, jaw, and hair, but no body...) In these cases, even if you load a material in to an invisible geometry, it does not appear in viewport as the underlying geometry wasn't present in viewport to begin with.

Then, there are times when other character files load in fine, with a camera, and with a timeline. Just no materials. But the full geometry of the figure is there.

Just curious- is the intended end FBX import option going to support textures (like an OBJ) or will they need to be loaded in separately (like in alembic)?
I see in the import options for FBX there is a settings dialogue related to textures, but I haven't seen one file make it into Octane via FBX import with any loaded textures yet, so I wasn't sure.
And assuming all is well and a geometry is present, the material slots shows "No Node", ready and needing for a texture to be manually added in.

Great work! Thanks so much, this is truly Awesome!
Exciting!!!

-Notiusweb
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby abstrax » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:15 pm

abstrax Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:15 pm
Jolbertoquini wrote:Hi Abstrax,

Any news about displacement? "mesh size" issue https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=61819&p=316181#p316181
and "continuity " from this posts https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=61634&hilit=displacement as well mix texture for displacement would be great.

Cheers,
JO

No news about displacement mapping yet. Regarding mixing: You can use the baking texture node to generate an image from an arbitrary texture input which can then be used in displacement (see viewtopic.php?f=33&t=62395).
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:29 pm

abstrax Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:29 pm
Notiusweb wrote:Hello, Just reporting back on FBX.
I see more consistency with timelines and geometry, hit or miss with characters.
For example, current iteration does not like Daz Studio FBX character exports, sometimes crashes, or loads in with slots for the geometries, but then in viewport, no respective geometries are present. Or, some will be missing. (ie - I will see eyeballs, jaw, and hair, but no body...) In these cases, even if you load a material in to an invisible geometry, it does not appear in viewport as the underlying geometry wasn't present in viewport to begin with.

Thanks for the report. Could you send us a few of those scenes that are not imported correctly? Thanks.

Then, there are times when other character files load in fine, with a camera, and with a timeline. Just no materials. But the full geometry of the figure is there.

Just curious- is the intended end FBX import option going to support textures (like an OBJ) or will they need to be loaded in separately (like in alembic)?
I see in the import options for FBX there is a settings dialogue related to textures, but I haven't seen one file make it into Octane via FBX import with any loaded textures yet, so I wasn't sure.
And assuming all is well and a geometry is present, the material slots shows "No Node", ready and needing for a texture to be manually added in.

Material import is not supported at the moment and is not planned for the near future. There are also no material import options for FBX.

Great work! Thanks so much, this is truly Awesome!
Exciting!!!

-Notiusweb

Thanks. The FBX import/export is highly complicated and will take a few versions to get mature. Originally we were hoping to allow FBX become a replacement for Alembic as geometry format, but similar to Alembic, FBX has its own set of weirdnesses and problems and its specification is constantly modified. Because of this we are planning to develop our own geometry format that more closely matches how Octane is dealing with geometry and will hopefully load faster. I.e. eventually, FBX and Alembic will be mostly used for data exchange between Octane and other applications and our own geometry format will become the foundation for Octane - Octane scene exchange (i.e. between Standalone, plugins, ORC, etc.). I hope that makes sense.
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:46 pm

FrankPooleFloating Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:46 pm
Just don't forget about glTF 2.0.. is that still on the back burner?
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:24 pm

Notiusweb Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:24 pm
Material import is not supported at the moment and is not planned for the near future. There are also no material import options for FBX.

The option for "merge materials with the same name" in FBX import made me think that it was a material import option for FBX.
But I see, it is not related to bringing the mateials in, but more related to the management of the scene elements somehow once brought into Octane, like if you apply a material manually to an empty node, it will only have to be applied to 1 channel/slot, as opposed to multiple, if there were otherwise multiple same name materials? Or something like that? I wasn't sure.

FBXImportMaterialCheckbox.jpg

FBX has its own set of weirdnesses and problems and its specification is constantly modified.

I have my own set of weirdnesses too! :twisted:

Cool, thx!

Oh yeah, +1 on GLTF happenings as well
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Development Build Releases