What is possible to do with Octane?

Forums: What is possible to do with Octane?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

What is possible to do with Octane?

Postby hottabych » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:01 pm

hottabych Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:01 pm
Why do we need your renderer? Are there any differences from standard Unity rendering? Do you have any pictures / videos for a comparison and features demonstration?
hottabych
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Re: What is possible to do with Octane?

Postby Goldorak » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:19 pm

Goldorak Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:19 pm
hottabych wrote:Why do we need your renderer? Are there any differences from standard Unity rendering? Do you have any pictures / videos for a comparison and features demonstration?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9oILsWlW1U

https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/otoy/
User avatar
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: What is possible to do with Octane?

Postby Trackerless » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:40 pm

Trackerless Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:40 pm
Ok I see now you are aiming for Unity+Octane as a full cinema quality PBR renderer. But isn't that as well possible with Max or C4D?
I'm not very into the topic but Unity is a game engine and for game engines it's important to have a fixed stable/solid light and texturing solution and not progressive real time rendering.
Progressive real time rendering is not fast enough to play a game in a game engine, or am I wrong?
Trackerless
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:54 am

Re: What is possible to do with Octane?

Postby Goldorak » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:39 am

Goldorak Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:39 am
Both Unity and UE4 are aiming to be full DCC production tools. Game engines and cinema DCC pipeline have pretty much converged at this point.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/3017 ... _enter.php
User avatar
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: What is possible to do with Octane?

Postby Trackerless » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:53 am

Trackerless Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:53 am
Goldorak wrote:Both Unity and UE4 are aiming to be full DCC production tools. Game engines and cinema DCC pipeline have pretty much converged at this point.


Ok so it's not possible to use octane in the "game" mode? It's only for production content as I see.
Does a player of games created with Unity+Octane sees Octane in action?
Trackerless
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:54 am

Re: What is possible to do with Octane?

Postby Goldorak » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:31 pm

Goldorak Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:31 pm
Trackerless wrote:
Goldorak wrote:Both Unity and UE4 are aiming to be full DCC production tools. Game engines and cinema DCC pipeline have pretty much converged at this point.


Ok so it's not possible to use octane in the "game" mode? It's only for production content as I see.
Does a player of games created with Unity+Octane sees Octane in action?


We're working on Octane game mode fix with help from Unity at this moment. Stay tuned!
User avatar
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: What is possible to do with Octane?

Postby Trackerless » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:47 am

Trackerless Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:47 am
Goldorak wrote:
Trackerless wrote:
Goldorak wrote:Both Unity and UE4 are aiming to be full DCC production tools. Game engines and cinema DCC pipeline have pretty much converged at this point.


Ok so it's not possible to use octane in the "game" mode? It's only for production content as I see.
Does a player of games created with Unity+Octane sees Octane in action?


We're working on Octane game mode fix with help from Unity at this moment. Stay tuned!


Ok just for understanding so when I build my Unity+Octane project to a .exe file the Octane rendered material is included?
Trackerless
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:54 am

Re: What is possible to do with Octane?

Postby Trackerless » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:02 pm

Trackerless Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:02 pm
Goldorak wrote:
Trackerless wrote:
Goldorak wrote:Both Unity and UE4 are aiming to be full DCC production tools. Game engines and cinema DCC pipeline have pretty much converged at this point.


Ok so it's not possible to use octane in the "game" mode? It's only for production content as I see.
Does a player of games created with Unity+Octane sees Octane in action?


We're working on Octane game mode fix with help from Unity at this moment. Stay tuned!


So just that I understand the topic is it possible to to build a Octane+Unity game to a .exe file?
Trackerless
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:54 am

Re: What is possible to do with Octane?

Postby Goldorak » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:36 am

Goldorak Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:36 am
Trackerless wrote:
So just that I understand the topic is it possible to to build a Octane+Unity game to a .exe file?


Not right now. If you build an exe, you can link or include to baked Octane assets for real time use (including light field baking jobs if you want perfect Octane quality in real time). Today, this will be even more valuable for games until we are at a point where real timee path tracing on all devices is the norm.
User avatar
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 2065
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Return to Octane for Unity


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:16 pm [ UTC ]