Octane and popping hair

Forums: Octane and popping hair
Poser (Integrated Plugin developed by Paul Kinnane)

Moderator: face_off

Forum rules
Please keep character renders sensibly modest, please do not post sexually explicit scenes of characters.

Re: Octane and popping hair

Postby wimvdb » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:59 am

wimvdb Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:59 am
Seaking406 wrote:Thanks! Since my previous scene builds doesn't require their inner construct, I opted to make my default scene without it so that I can use the empty background for other purposes as well

The only time I ever get the 1080 Ti to heat up is with Octane.. gaming doesn't affect it what so ever but man, it can get hot. I run Afterburner to ramp the fans up to keep the temps down in the 60's otherwise it would go up to 80'C (below peak temp but not good for the card...)

i can only image what it would be like with two of them!! (if the prices come down, I'll find out ;)

I let it go up to 80s, it won't get higher. My previous set ( 2 old titans) stayed alive for 4 years (up to now), that is good enough for me.
I never play games, the cards are just rendering octane. Compared to the old titans, i have a speed increase of a factor of 9, which is more than I expected (nr of cores does not make that much difference)

I am pretty happy with my new rig (i7-6850K, 128GB, 1TB SSD 960 EVO, 2 x 4TB HD.
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seaking406 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:34 am

Seaking406 Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:34 am
Just curious, how much of that 128 G of memory do you actually use? I run 32 Gigs of mem on my i7-5960X @ 4.4 GHz air cooled, and with Poser, Octane and Photoshop running at the same time (whilst watching youtube vids in between renders) I don't even push close to 16 Gigs being in use at any one time.. if that at all..

i was running with a 980 Ti but it was limiting me with only 6G mem on it.. hence the 1080Ti.. much better ;)

I must report also that the hair popping issue that started this whole mess has been resolved, Octane is super stable and I daresay faster rendering than the previous version I had installed (thinking it was the latest)..

now just waiting for DAZ to get back to me to find out why none of my Gen2 characters will load into Poser 11 Pro as the DSOn loader thingy isn't working for some reason.. sigh..
Seaking406
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby wimvdb » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:46 am

wimvdb Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:46 am
I use very large scenes (up to 20 figures in a scene). The Octane plugin converts the scene for Octane, effectively doubling the memory usage. And i often use HDR Lightstudio, Photoshop, Substance Painter, ZBrush during Poser sessions, so it quickly adds up. My previous machine had 64GB and that has always been enough, but for my new machine I wanted to have more since I sometime use up to 50GB and that is getting close the 64GB border.

DSON works fine for me, but I still use version 1.1.2.117 and not the latest one. Just make sure that you have the cache folder and the writable Runtime folder set to a location outside of Program Files.
Configuration: Windows 11 Pro, I9 12900K, 128GB, RTX 3090, P12 b1029
wimvdb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seaking406 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:14 pm

Seaking406 Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:14 pm
128 G of mem would then be sufficient ;)

I have the cache and writable runtime folder set outside of the regular runtime and still doesn't work on Poser 11 Pro.. works fine with Poser 2014 GameDev which is odd.. works on one, not the other.. Still waiting on DAZ to get back to me.. probably take a month of back and forth before finding out that they can't help.. Mostly like will have to keep the older version of Poser on the system just to get to my older projects that require DSON..

Addendum:
And OH happy days, I sorted out the problem with the DSON simply by copying the Poser2014 GameDev files over to the Poser 11 runtime and all is good once again.. sad that all this doesn't happen automatically when doing one update.. would save a lot of time huh?

Thanks again
Seaking406
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to Poser