This release is solely to incorporate the new Octane 3.04 SDK. There are no other changes to the plugin beyond what was in the previous release.
The 2.x and 3.x plugins cannot be simultaneously installed with the same copy of SketchUp. Installing the 3.x plugin should replace the 2.x plugin if you already have it, although we recommend uninstalling any existing plugins first. If you install the 3.x plugin and want to go back to 2.x, you will need to fully uninstall the plugin before reinstalling 2.x.
Please note that stable releases will not be identified by any special version numbers. Because of potential compatibility issues if different builds of the Octane engine are run on the same system, we believe it is more important to keep plugin version numbers synchronised with the corresponding build of the standalone Octane application and the Octane SDK. If you are having problems, the first thing you should check is that you do not have different versions of other Octane 3.x products installed.
If you have problems installing or uninstalling the plugin, please try the uninstall assistant and see if that helps first.
Major Changes (since 2.x)
* Like the Octane 3 standalone version, the SketchUp plugin uses the new single sign-on system. You still need to have purchased a license for the SketchUp plugin, but it will now be checked automatically when you log in using your Otoy account credentials; you no longer need to keep track of user IDs and passwords for individual licenses.
* Because most rendered images are now stored in your computer's main RAM instead of your video card's RAM (see the section on host film buffers in the Octane 3 feature list here), all Octane 3 applications, including the SketchUp plugin, will frequently use a good deal more memory than their Octane 2 equivalents, especially for high resolution renders. You should keep this in mind when upgrading.
* The new authorization management window is a modal dialog where the user can sign out and sign in. It also informs the you under which name you are signed in and if that sign-in was in offline or online mode. When a user signs out, all of your licenses which were activated on this computer will be deactivated. This requires that all these licenses are currently not in use by other Octane processes. If that's not the case the sign out will fail.
* Because of ongoing changes to the license management system, you should avoid mixing different 3.x Octane installations on the same computer. Please make sure that all Octane standalone and plugin installations are the same version. (Expect this to be relaxed in future releases.)
* 3.03+ releases include experimental Pascal GPU support. Please note that we are still working on performance issues there.
* Support has been added for the Skatter plugin's Render Only mode.
Recent Bug Fixes
* Skatter support has been greatly improved. In "Render Only" mode, scattered objects should now be reliably rendered in the Octane window (apart from an issue with the Skatter library noted below).
* Scattered objects will now be rendered regardless of whether or not the original object is hidden.
* Better synchronisation between Octane and SketchUp rendering of Octane materials. This will fix many of the cases where you change the parameters of an Octane material, and see the change in the render window, but not in SketchUp. Because SketchUp materials don't support all the features of Octane's materials, it isn't always possible to make the appearance of a material in SketchUp exactly match the way it's rendered in Octane, but the plugin will now make a better attempt to show a good approximation.
* Adjusting the UV transform in an Octane material should now re-scale the material in the same way in both SketchUp and Octane.
* A texture scaling issue that sometimes caused textures to be rendered much larger or smaller than their correct scale has been fixed.
* Undoing and redoing changes in SketchUp will now be more accurately tracked in Octane.
* Closing and re-opening the Octane render window should no longer cause it to freeze up.
* Octane license menu now correctly opens the new license manager window.
* Importing pre-built scattered objects from the Skatter library does not work if the host is a solid object instead of a plane. We are working on this in conjunction with the author of Skatter.
* Re-applying the same texture after an undo may fail to work. This is a bug in SketchUp, not related to the Octane plugin.
- The plugin requires SketchUp 2015 or 2016 for Windows x64.
- SketchUp 2016 is recommended.
- If you are using SketchUp 2015, remember to select this when installing the plugin.
- If you have multiple versions of SketchUp, plugins are installed separately for each version.
- The plugin is not compatible with any x86 (32-bit) version of SketchUp.
- 64-bit Intel or AMD CPU.
- Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 for x64.
- One or more recent model Nvidia GPU cards.
- Nvidia drivers 353.x or later; CUDA 7.5 support is required.
- SketchUp plugin manual (3.0)
- New features in Octane 3.0 (manual)
- New features in Octane 3.0 (forum)
- Octane 3.0 release notes
- Octane 3.04 release notes
- Post your questions here on this forum thread!
If you have a support issue, please provide the following information:
- Operating system (e.g. Windows 8.1 x64)
- CPU type (e.g. Intel Core i7)
- Amount of RAM
- Graphics cards - model (e.g. Nvidia GTX 690 with 4GB)
- Nvidia driver version (e.g. 365.10)
- SketchUp version (e.g. SketchUp Pro 2016 version 16.1.1449 64-bit)
- Skatter version (if you have it installed; e.g. Skatter 1.2.0)
- OctaneRender for SketchUp version (e.g. 3.04.0.0)
The most important part of resolving a problem is our being able to reproduce the problem, so please provide as much detail as possible!
- Current 3.x release
- Current 3.x demo release
- Current 2.x release
- Current 2.x demo release
- Build with Octane 3.04 SDK.
- Fix failure to render objects from Skatter library.
- Improved Skatter support.
- Improved synchronisation between Octane and SketchUp material appearances.
- Fixed UV scaling and other texture scaling issues.
- Undo/redo now more reliable.
- Closing and re-opening render window should not trigger Flash freeze.
- License menu updated.
- First stable release of 3.0 series.
- Added Skatter support.
- Compiled with Octane 3.03.3 SDK.
- Fixes for texture scaling issue and various other bugs.
- More changes to file path code.
- Tweaks to internal file name manipulation code to avoid save errors due to invalid paths.
- Rewritten shutdown process to address license deactivation issues.
- Compiled with Octane 3.03.2b SDK.
- Changes to file path handling code to address issue with user home directories on network paths.
- Compiled with Octane 3.02.0 SDK.
- Compiled with Octane 3.01.1 SDK.
- Compiled with Octane 3.01 release SDK.
- Added authorization management window
- Compiled with Octane 3.0 release SDK.
- Compiled with Octane 3.0.0 beta 4.
- Added a demo version.
- Compiled with Octane 3.0.0 beta 1.
- Internal changes to texture rendering, LiveDB access, and licensing for compatibility with Octane 3 API changes.