animating sun position and more

Forums: animating sun position and more
NUKE Integrated Plugin

Moderator: face_off

animating sun position and more

Postby carmandale » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:16 am

carmandale Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:16 am
Here is a possible use case for Octane Render for nuke...

I have some footage shot on the jaunt for 360. So I end up with a stereo latlong image. I would like to use octane render for nuke to position the camera precisely and line up the stereo imagery. I am also using the footage as a source for the texture environment and reflections, so I want to be able to also animate the sun position in Nuke and line it up.

can I do this? and are tasks like this what you have in mind for the plugin?

thanks,
Dale
carmandale
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: animating sun position and more

Postby face_off » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:00 am

face_off Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:00 am
I have some footage shot on the jaunt for 360. So I end up with a stereo latlong image. I would like to use octane render for nuke to position the camera precisely and line up the stereo imagery.
Isn't this as simple as just having the camera point to the origin of the scene - so it is pointed to the mirror ball you took the footage from? (perhaps I am not understanding well enough what you are trying to do). Is this for a still or animation? If it's an animation, you will need to edit the Octane scene in the plugin an use the IBL images as an image sequence for the Texture Environment.

I am also using the footage as a source for the texture environment and reflections, so I want to be able to also animate the sun position in Nuke and line it up.
I don't think Nuke is the package to use if you want to do this. The sun direction is animatable - however it would be tricky - because you'd need to work out the sun vector each frame which would not be trivial. I would recommend instead using something like Modo to animate the sun (by animating the directional light used as the sun) and then exporting the animation to ORBX, which you can load in the Nuke plugin.

Paul
Win7/Win10/Mavericks/Mint 17 - GTX550Ti/GT640M
Octane Plugin Support : Poser, ArchiCAD, Revit, Inventor, AutoCAD, Rhino, Modo, Nuke
Pls read before submitting a support question
face_off
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to NUKE