Share your tricks for faster rendering

Forums: Share your tricks for faster rendering
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

Share your tricks for faster rendering

Postby 3dreamstudios » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:33 pm

3dreamstudios Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:33 pm
I normally use Direct Lighting Kernel with Ambient Occlusion. However I have a scene I really need full global illumination. I tried Diffuse and it's nice but for low lit areas the noise takes FOREVER to clean up. With well lit areas it's not bad really (time wise).

Are there any tricks to getting Diffuse or Path Tracing to be faster for low lit areas to clean up the noise?

I was even thinking of doing some crazy pass of LW native Radiosity CLAY SCENE and compositing in AFX or something. Not sure it would even work...just looking for wasy to improve noise and time...I'm sure no one ever wants to do that! lol.

Thanks for any thoughts.
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Share your tricks for faster rendering

Postby LightwaveGuru » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:06 am

LightwaveGuru Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:06 am
use for example neat video 4 for cleaning up noises. it make no sense to kill all noize with brutforcing by the renderer....
hint: take massiv down the GI Clamp...under 10

https://www.neatvideo.com/

snip lwugru
LightwaveGuru
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby 3dreamstudios » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:36 pm

3dreamstudios Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:36 pm
LightwaveGuru wrote:use for example neat video 4 for cleaning up noises. it make no sense to kill all noize with brutforcing by the renderer....
hint: take massiv down the GI Clamp...under 10

https://www.neatvideo.com/

snip lwugru

I didn't see much difference between the default (lot's of 0's) and 3-6. I must be doing something wrong, or that setting wont help what I'm seeing in my scenes. I'll look into what that setting is doing and go from there. Thanks for pointing it out.
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ryanroye » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:54 pm

ryanroye Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:54 pm
Here's one:

By making all of the outer walls in an interior emit light you can boost your render times by ~70%+. The gotcha to this one is that you have to be careful not to rely too heavily on it, or else it can make the environment look flat or too inaccurate. Octane favors scenes with balanced quantities of light, which is why this method works and part of the reason why daylight scenes render so much faster.

Below shows an image with identical Octane settings and the same number of samples (100), the left image was lit the normal way, the image to the right has emissive walls.

ryanroye
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BorisGoreta » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:59 am

BorisGoreta Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:59 am
You should set caustic blur to 100% or higher and lower GI clamp to around 1.0.
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby 3dreamstudios » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:06 pm

3dreamstudios Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:06 pm
Can someone tell me what the difference between setting the sliders for glossy, diffuse and specular are compared to this GI Clamp. As far as I can tell the GI Clamp, clamps those above values? I did not see a difference when I tried 1000000 (default) and 3-5. You'd think that would show "something"

Thanks.
3dreamstudios
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Lightwave 3D