Camera projection problem

Forums: Camera projection problem
Maxon Cinema 4D (Export script developed by abstrax, Integrated Plugin developed by aoktar)

Moderator: aoktar

Re: Camera projection problem

Postby noisyboyuk » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:52 pm

noisyboyuk Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:52 pm
aoktar wrote:
noisyboyuk wrote:Well I'm even more confused now after looking at the Camera Projection example scene. In the values are totally different. I can't seem to work out the precise formula to get the projection to work accurately every time without having to manually dial in scale values and eyeball it.

Any advice would be amazing :)

Test and compared the both of C4D's camera mapping and Octane's perspective projection methods. These values are giving exactly same outputs.

I seem to be getting very different results for some reason. The project I'm working on is under NDA, do you mind if I message you privately so I can send you screen shots without them being public?

Thanks.
noisyboyuk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:11 pm

aoktar Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:11 pm
It depends to output ratio. But send me, I'll try to check.
Octane For Cinema 4D developer / 3d generalist

3930k / 16gb / 780ti + 1070/1080 / psu 1600w / numerous hw
aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby niestudio » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:14 pm

niestudio Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:14 pm
This is a setup I've been using for a while to calculate exactly what Ahmet pointed out.
It still needs some work to be more user friendly, but it works for me. ;)
If any xpresso gurus want to add to it, feel free. Ideally camera and render settings would only be loaded in the main attributes panel.

niestudio_camera_projection.jpg
Attachments
projection.zip
(141.74 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
OSX 10.12.4 | Intel 12 core @ 3.33 ghz | 128 gb ram | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080TI | Ubuntu Linux slave with 3x 1080ti
niestudio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby noisyboyuk » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:38 pm

noisyboyuk Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:38 pm
niestudio wrote:This is a setup I've been using for a while to calculate exactly what Ahmet pointed out.
It still needs some work to be more user friendly, but it works for me. ;)
If any xpresso gurus want to add to it, feel free. Ideally camera and render settings would only be loaded in the main attributes panel.

Thanks for this dude.

I'd love it if there was a simple preset within the project node (like with the other projection methods) that just instantly gives you full a full screen projection like with C4D's own setup. My worry is that if I don't do this for a while in Cinema, I'll come back to it and totally forget how this was set up or that I used this XPresso set-up to get it working. Next thing you know it's back down the back of the internet again to try and work out how I had it working before (I literally had this all worked out last year but it's so complicated I had just forgotten how to set it up).

Also, I'll be honest, I still don't fully understand the logic behind the math. I can see the "how" I just don't understand the "why".

Also, do you mind me asking why the render settings need to be dragged into the field in the attributes manager? I can see it's taking the film aspect ratio for the division but I was just curious as to why it needs to be dragged in there manually?

Great work anyway dude and thanks a million for this - it's super useful!

noisyboyuk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:42 pm

aoktar Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:42 pm
Camera_mapping is simply like projecting a texture to screen. So It's fixing width of image to screen's left and right borders and adjusting the height from what ratio you give.

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby noisyboyuk » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:25 pm

noisyboyuk Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:25 pm
aoktar wrote:Camera_mapping is simply like projecting a texture to screen. So It's fixing width of image to screen's left and right borders and adjusting the height from what ratio you give.

Hi mate.

Might it be possible to add a more intuitive way of setting this up in Octane which doesn't require people to do math to get it working at all?

Cheers :)
noisyboyuk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aoktar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:14 pm

aoktar Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:14 pm
noisyboyuk wrote:
aoktar wrote:Camera_mapping is simply like projecting a texture to screen. So It's fixing width of image to screen's left and right borders and adjusting the height from what ratio you give.

Hi mate.

Might it be possible to add a more intuitive way of setting this up in Octane which doesn't require people to do math to get it working at all?

Cheers :)

To be honest it's like a pain to do atm. Currently C4D camera mapping is supported by plugin as I describe on my previous message. But due uv-mapping method it's giving iteration problems on low res polygons. Another way is to implement similar method what you do with Octane perspective projection. But it will require a special type handling in material management. I'll think for that but not on first priority.

aoktar
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Previous

Return to Maxon Cinema 4D