No light source works in Daz Studio?

Forums: No light source works in Daz Studio?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the demo version of Octane Render.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

No light source works in Daz Studio?

Postby lek1 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:57 pm

lek1 Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:57 pm
Hi guys, I downloaded the free version of Octane for Daz Studio, everything is simple and easy to understand, but Octane just ignores any types of light sources in Daz Studio other than environment lighting, such as HDR, sky/sun. I tested with a clean scene, a standard sphere, I kept everything as simple as possible. When I throw a distant light, point light, spotlight, Octane doesn't show any changes.
All the software and drivers are updated.
Any tips? Thanks a lot!

a sphere and 3 types of lights
DAZStudio_BtwEdh7HsN.png

Octane render, the physical sky set to late sunset. I tried all different kernel types, global illumination modes, I tried turning on/off "AI light" and "AI light update". No difference.
i8FBRxP3dT.png
lek1

Re: No light source works in Daz Studio?

Postby amancue » Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:19 am

amancue Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:19 am
Your Right,.. In that it doesnt use Iray's lights,.. The Octane for Daz Studio Plugin's Lighting modes are HDRI, Sun/Sky, Emmitters (Emissive Textures/objects) and Emissives w/ IES profiles
if you were to go and take the sphere you put in the scene, and right click on its material in the material properties section of Octane, and under create new texture tell it, emissive instead of auto texture then you'd notice it glowing, to get more traditional lights your thinking of you need to make a light object and apply a IES profile to it,.. which will define the light to be shaped more like a say Spotlight. I'm sure someone more experienced can explain it better. and Good Luck
amancue

Postby lek1 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:01 pm

lek1 Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:01 pm
Thanks a lot for your help. Is there any preset to help us eliminate the need to create light sources every time? The point light is easy to create. But the spotlight with direction and the soft area around the hot zone is difficult to create inside Daz Studio. Is there any quick way to do it? What do other Octane/Daz users do on a daily basis? HDRI map all the way? :D
lek1

Postby amancue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:47 am

amancue Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:47 am
well I'm guessing for something like a reused spotlight, you could use a plane or sphere, w/ an IES attached to make it project to a spotlights pattern and to reuse it often just save it to your presets. by right clicking on it in the used materials tab and saying add to presets, then you can also rename it to something more useful so its easy to remember everytime you want to you it, right now I'm working on a scene that uses a LOT of neon panels, so what I'm doing making several base colors. after I get them how I want, saving them to my presets, so then I can just drag and drop apply the different colors to the different panels, instead of having to make one for each floor panel. this is only my 2nd serious render w/ Octane so there maybe better/easier ways to handle things but this is whats working for me right now
amancue

Return to Demo Version Questions & Discussion