This is the second stable release of OctaneRender version 4 fixing various issues that have been reported for 4.00.
Unless you have a subscription license, you will have to upgrade your version 3 licenses to version 4. This upgrade is free and can be done via these 4 steps:
- Go to https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/purchase/
- Select "Upgrade" in the top menu.
- Click on "UPGRADE NOW" next to "Upgrade existing licenses to OctaneRender 4".
- Select the licenses you want to upgrade and confirm.
New GPU requirements
To use this version, you need a GPU of compute model 3.0 or higher. Support for Fermi GPUs (like GTX 4xx and 5xx) has been dropped. Also make sure you use a driver of version 387 or higher and if you are working on Mac OS that have a CUDA driver installed that supports at least CUDA 9.1.
And if you are working on Windows 7 or 8 we highly recommend to update your driver to version 417.22 or higher. This driver fixes an issue where the CUDA API function calls fail with error 2 (out of memory) even though these API calls don't allocate any memory. See viewtopic.php?f=24&t=69639 for more details.
Changes since version 4.00:
- Improved the planetary environment by replacing the planetary axis and angle input pins with latitude and longitude pins, to allow you defining the correct orientation of the planet underneath your location that can be matched against the coordinates in the sun direction node.
- Improved memory management during progressive scene data updates, when out-of-core is used to fix a performance regression observed with various scenes. It was caused by better a utilization of VRAM with a smaller amount of unused GPU memory, but then having to subsequently move new resources to out-of-core because progressive data updates couldn't fit new data.
- Removed the fast GPU upload which caused issues on systems that connected via PCIe risers/expanders (see viewtopic.php?p=351110#p351110). It didn't make much of a difference in most cases.
- Refactored the resource tracking of render devices to avoid that some allocations are not accounted for correctly. Also the memory usage and distribution can be quite different for each device. The most visible sign of these changes is the viewport status bar which shows now more detailed scene statistics and memory usage for each device, when you click on it.
- Fixed CUDA failure in the baking camera when rendering a scene with animated meshes.
- Fixed hot pixels and incorrect light distributions in scenes with portals that have AI light enabled.
- Fixed global light exclusion of the environment if the scene contains portals (see viewtopic.php?p=351802#p351802).
- Fixed clamping of post-effects in the denoised main pass.
- Fixed artifacts in scenes of scaled meshes that use displacement, which became most visible in the AO info channel kernel.
- Fixed wireframe rendering when using the baking camera.
- Fixed incorrect attribute access when a scene with volumes is rendered using the baking camera.
- Fixed bug that caused the denoiser to not start on the very first frame / render (see viewtopic.php?p=352129#p352129)
- Fixed incorrect rendering of shadow catcher materials in the denoiser main pass (see viewtopic.php?p=352596#p352596).
- Fixed filtering out of daemons that run on the same machine as the net render master.
Downloads for users with a regular license
OctaneRender for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender for Windows (zip)
OctaneRender for Mac OS
OctaneRender for Linux
Downloads for users with a Studio subscription license
OctaneRender Studio for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Studio for Windows (zip)
OctaneRender Studio for Mac OS
OctaneRender Studio for Linux
Demo version downloads
OctaneRender Demo version for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Demo version for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Demo version for Mac OS X (DMG image)
OctaneRender Demo version for Linux (ZIP archive)
Your OTOY Team