Be able to choose to work in subnet or not.

Forums: Be able to choose to work in subnet or not.
Sub forum for feature requests etc

Moderator: juanjgon

Re: Be able to choose to work in subnet or not.

Postby juanjgon » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:02 pm

juanjgon Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:02 pm
Hi,

Create a render target HDA for the /mat context should be really easy. I'll add it in one of the upcoming builds, but I don't understand your question about moving the Octane light to this context ... the Octane light, like all the other Houdini lights, is an OBJ node, so working with them in the /mat network designed to work with VOP nodes makes no sense.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby fantome » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:02 am

fantome Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:02 am
Hi Juanjo !

Thanks for your very fast answer.

Indeed it is really easy to create my own render targets in Mat Context.
But if you want to recreate the full network and most importantly all the UI tab / UI panel / UI slider / UI button and interface/connect them correctly to get the exact same things as the default RT in shops, It will be time consuming.

render_targets.jpg

And as shops tend to be a legacy context in houdini now. I thought that moving all stuff to the Mat context by default would be more elegant and more close to the path follow by SESI.

In the same idea for octane lights. If you dive inside your OTL you see that the octane shader you use is in the shop context, i would find cooler to translate it to the Mat context, to unify things.

light_01.JPG

light_02.JPG

In the same idea when you use octane shelf , everythings is created in the Shops context, replacing this by the Mat context , would be nice imo.

shelf_01.jpg

shelf_02.jpg

Finally in the same idea, if you import a liveDB shader, it is imported by default in Shops, the problem is that if you work in Mat context in your scene for your shaders,
you will not be able to CTRL+C/CTRL+V it in your working context. You will have to keep the shops plus the mat context in your scene, introducing some confusion in scene organisation.
- one Mat context where you work
- one Trash context where you import everyting that can't be imported and copied in your working context

live_db_01.JPG

live_db_02.JPG

Again all this might sound picky but i really find that moving all octane shading operators to the new Mat context would be a great idea.
The goal is to unified everything in order to follow SESI directions.

Of course keeping the possibility to work in shops for legacy / old scene compatibility is still very important.

Cheers
E
fantome
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:35 am

juanjgon Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:35 am
Ok. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Yes, building a new RenderTarget HDA and modify the liveDB feature for the /mat context are indeed planned features in the short term.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby fantome » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:48 pm

fantome Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:48 pm
Thanks for your answer Juanjo !
I'm happy to know, that it's in the todo list.
fantome
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Previous

Return to User Requests