Lightmapping Unity - whole scene at once?

Forums: Lightmapping Unity - whole scene at once?
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Lightmapping Unity - whole scene at once?

Postby pfschuyler » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:07 pm

pfschuyler Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:07 pm
I'm trying to grapple with the new (beta) lightmapping feature in Unity 2018.1. I've seen some tutorials and demos out there that show some of the basics. You use the render to texture option and add a lightmap channel for each object etc. I understand that reasonably well, and I can see how this would be great for fine control in a video game where one or more objects will get the lightmapping.

But what about a quick way to lightmap an entire scene full of objects and materials? Is there any single option that would allow you, in one clean step...to add lightmapping and display it universally in the viewports? Lets say I have a building with 50 different materials, I simply want to import this complex object with tons of materials and use octane to bake the lighting so that the model can be navigated in VR with some reasonable ambience. Manually adding lightmapping channels etc to each material is a practical impossibility for this kind of workflow. Is there any simple solution to doing this on one fell swoop to get architectural models to leverage this power?

The standard lightmapping workflow works OK for this, albeit at a much slower speed.
pfschuyler
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Lightmapping Unity - whole scene at once?

Postby ChrisHekman » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:59 am

ChrisHekman Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:59 am
We are working on lightmapping. Lightmapping the entire scene will be part of it.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby EFS » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:01 am

EFS Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:01 am
ChrisHekman wrote:We are working on lightmapping. Lightmapping the entire scene will be part of it.

What is the difference in quality between Lightmapping with Octane vs Rendering a still with Octane? I assume lightmapping will work with anything the built in Unity lightmapper handles as opposed to the Viewport which requires textures to plug into Octane's rendering engine.
EFS
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby AscentXR » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:01 am

AscentXR Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:01 am
Is there a sign-up for the beta or an ETA for release? Really could use this functionality asap.
Thanks. Great Job!!
AscentXR

Postby SamuelAB » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:54 pm

SamuelAB Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:54 pm
Also looking forward to this

Please keep in mind my request for a baking material shell :)
viewtopic.php?f=129&t=70101
SamuelAB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Octane for Unity