Roadmap for the maya plugin

Forums: Roadmap for the maya plugin
Autodesk Maya (Plugin developed by JimStar)

Moderator: JimStar

Re: Roadmap for the maya plugin

Postby itsallgoode9 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:54 pm

itsallgoode9 Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:54 pm
limeforce wrote:
itsallgoode9 wrote:It sounds like it definitely has some benefits but maybe a drawback of of having to find the node amoung all the other billion nodes.

Which I imagine is as simple as doing a search for '*kernel*' or '*Kernel*' in the Outliner search box to give you a list of all Octane Render kernels in the scene (along with a few irrelevant nodes maybe).

meh. typing in kernel for a search in the outliner 50 times a day isn't exactly efficient. It's simple for a few times but doing it a ton isn't a good workflow. Regardless, I'll wait and see how it works when I get it. If I can make shelf buttons, as we mentioned, that should do the trick.
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby gah5118 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:22 pm

gah5118 Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:22 pm
itsallgoode9 wrote:
limeforce wrote:
itsallgoode9 wrote:It sounds like it definitely has some benefits but maybe a drawback of of having to find the node amoung all the other billion nodes.

Which I imagine is as simple as doing a search for '*kernel*' or '*Kernel*' in the Outliner search box to give you a list of all Octane Render kernels in the scene (along with a few irrelevant nodes maybe).

meh. typing in kernel for a search in the outliner 50 times a day isn't exactly efficient. It's simple for a few times but doing it a ton isn't a good workflow. Regardless, I'll wait and see how it works when I get it. If I can make shelf buttons, as we mentioned, that should do the trick.

The more we can have access to in order to create mel scripts for would be great!
Windows 8.1 | i7 950 | GTX 780ti | 24gb ddr3
gah5118
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ivankio » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:22 pm

ivankio Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:22 pm
Resume:
ocRenderSettingsSuggestion.jpg

k.a.schubert wrote:Well, most options from the render settings menu (render passes, kernels etc. ) are moved to the nodes they come from in octane standalone (render settings menu is just UI displaying these attributes).
So there is not that much left anyways.
And I don't see much reason to keep the render settings menu alive (for any octane settings).
Wouldn't it be nicer to have those options in the nodegraph in a seperate node as well,
since the new workflow is all about the node graph?
The render settings window will be less important, as I stated above. Just makes sense to go all nuts on nodes, since maya is build for dealing with them,
and yeah all attributes are scriptable than. So thats a plus I think.

Those loose kernels are also kinda scary. I hope they are easily accessible and not only buried inside the outliner with other hundreds of DAG nodes.

I agree. Nodes that are not connected to render target will be harder to find. While testing the node editor keeps them right where they are after loading the scene though.
It is quite possible to have unconnected nodes, like different maya2octane cameras or said kernels, so u can quickly change a configuration.

Any ideas how to keep them handy, except trusting the node editor to keep them where they are?
You could group them in the outliner. Still in my small test scenes its already cluttered there.

Of course 2D node graph has more space for organizing things than a 1D list, like the outliner.

So yeah, any ideas anyone on maya's capabilities on how to manage (find at least) unconnected nodes?

I already love you, Kai. And sympathize because of the so many things you have to design that we take for granted and obvious. I'll throw some ideas...

Let's see... How does the user tells which render target to use on a "Batch Render" command from Maya?

The workflow that focus on nodes can add an improved functionality to Maya's usual render settings: multiple Batch Render settings.
I imagine something like currently the "renderable" flag for cameras, but switched to Octane's "Render targets". Then you'd place "file name" and "frame range" into Octane's "Film Settings" nodes that already sets "Resolution" (those 3 options are closely related).
For example, from a single scene in archviz I output animations at 720p , still images in a larger and varied aspect ratio and maybe some panoramas. It'd be cool to not have to remember settings like resolution, frame range and file naming for each render output I want to "batch render".
CameraRenderable.png
CameraRenderable.png (10.28 KiB) Viewed 7888 times

As for how to access nodes without the node editor:
Maybe, for the first moment, the render settings could house an specialized outliner for octane nodes - granted that you said there's not much in the render settings and I think it's the first place regular users will look for anything other than materials and lights. This outliner could filter:
- render targets,
- render settings,
- kernels,
- environments.
- (and maybe cameras and lights too)
The user selects the node on this simplified outliner and use the Attribute Editor to adjust the settings of each node. Like vray's access to sky and sun in that window. But then there's the problem of unconnected nodes.
vraySunOnRS.png

So, maybe instead of an outliner, something more like Apple's file browser (or a sort of Maya's Connection Editor / Relationship Editor):
mac directories - Pesquisa Google-2016-06-12 11_50_34.png

A quick sketch of how to access to the relevant network fit for "render settings" as a maya user (of course, this in addition to the UI for GPUs settings and the likes) without losing functionality (in fact it seems to me even easier to reroute some wiring - imagine you want to switch all your render targets from a preview kernel to a final one):
ocRenderSettingsSuggestion.jpg
First column would always be Render Targets with toggles for Batch Render, and the second column would be a list of all octane nodes in the scene (even unconnected) filtered/tabbed by connection type (each render settings node, camera, kernel, environment). If you select a render target, it highlights on the second column the inputs for that target. If you select another node on the second column, you replace the connection (like connection editor) since all plugs accept only 1 input.
This UI would also have to have a way to create and delete those nodes.
Actually, we should be able to select without connecting them. We want to select a node just to see on the AE. But you get the idea. Maybe a right click context menu that allows to assign the clicked node to selected render target(s), delete or duplicate. treeView command has options for buttons additionally. And/or ctrl+left click to comply with Maya's standard for toggling selections.

I think that as far as we expect from "Render Settings", these 2 columns would suffice. Materials are already the way maya works and new users will pick up quickly.

A button to open Maya's "Attribute Spread Sheet" with all nodes of a type would be dandy too.
Autodesk Maya 2016_ untitled_   ---   camera2...-2016-06-12 13_20_54.png
GTX 1080 8gb, GTX 970 4gb, I5 4590, Z97-E, 32gb RAM, Win 10 64bits, Octane for Maya
ivankio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jolbertoquini » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:14 pm

Jolbertoquini Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:14 pm
Well well any news for a first release of the plug Please??

I'm tired to export my scenes to standalone... :lol:
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kommando_2k » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:45 pm

kommando_2k Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:45 pm
waiting... waiting..
kommando_2k
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby itsallgoode9 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:33 pm

itsallgoode9 Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:33 pm
We've still got two weeks before we're allowed to pester! Don't jump the gun buddy! :)
Intel i7-3930K, 64gb RAM, Asus X79 Deluxe mobo, 2x EVGA 780 6gb (for rendering), 1x PNY quaddro k4000 (for display)
Windows 8.1 x64, Maya 2014, Octane Render v2
itsallgoode9
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Jolbertoquini » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:56 am

Jolbertoquini Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:56 am
itsallgoode9 wrote:We've still got two weeks before we're allowed to pester! Don't jump the gun buddy! :)

Okay so when they said June that's mean and of month??? Really?? I'm if we say that to our clients here... we are on troubles. We are at middle of the month June.
I think we should have a First version at least no? We need keep mind we are clients so we paid for it. some of our paid a lot for a lot plugs.

Use the standalone and not the plug only for export still not right! I don't try to speed thing I just try to make people understand the reality nothing more. :evil:

I pretty sure many of users do business with Octane so is not mater to waiting because time is money! And don't tell me we can use OC2 or export please think on the other studios are using C4D and etc they have OC3 plug this is business maters.

Very best,
Jo
Octane Render for Maya.
https://vimeo.com/jocg/videos
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jocgtd
http://www.hmxmedia.com/
--------------------
Join MAYA OCTANE USERS Skype discussion here :
https://join.skype.com/LXEQaqqfN15w
Jolbertoquini
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby jagger » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:03 am

jagger Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:03 am
So will be this new workflow more complex than the previous one?

Im used to octane in c4d and its pretty easy to setup. Octane in maya is a bit convoluted, hope this version will be easy to setup.

Any release date?
intel i7 3770k // 2 x Evga Titan Superclocked 6gb Vram // 16gb RAM
http://www.octavioalonso.com
jagger
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby renmaxhb » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:07 am

renmaxhb Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:07 am
LightFog!Please!
renmaxhb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Davve » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:52 am

Davve Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:52 am
Will we be able to run octane in the viewport ?

Davve
Davve
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Autodesk Maya