Community Plugin 1.50 - fixed for Octane 1.5+

Forums: Community Plugin 1.50 - fixed for Octane 1.5+
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Community Plugin 1.50 - fixed for Octane 1.5+

Postby matej » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:54 pm

matej Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:54 pm
Hi there!

This is the unofficial Octane exporter now fixed for OCS versions 1.5 and above. I took the 1.17 exporter version (which I was using up until now), rewrote the engine module, changed the GUI a little bit and also integrated the particles exporter script, so now you can do animations with particle instances.

Major changes:

* It works with Octane OCS versions 1.5 and above (or more precisely: it wont wreck your .ocs :) )
* It automatically exports particle systems as .csv files
* "export camera only" for flyby animations
* OCS is written only if the file doesn't not exist, never edited thereafter
* Camera updating works for RenderTarget node

What doesn't work any-more (because of OCS file structural changes)

* writing stuff into an existing OCS, which would corrupt it
* the material tab is pretty much useless now (shading is done in Octane anyway)
* "create or replace OCS file" was removed
* "Write materials in OCS file" was removed

New GUI options
octane15_sett.png

* Export options: Image (renders current frame still), Animation, Geometry (just exports obj/mtl, without starting Octane)
* Camera only: exports just the active camera for each frame, without geometry
* samples & preset option is added in case of stills too
* Instances export can be automatic or manual. In auto mode it exports all PS on active layers (even if emitter is hidden for rendering). "Write dupli objects to file", will export the particle visualization object to obj/mtl each frame. (you might want to disable this for animations, unless the viz object itself is animated)
* Mesh node to render: is the name of a geometry node to render inside Octane. Usually this will be some Geometry Group node, but can be any geometry node. If the name is invalid, Octane will complain, if you leave it blank it will be the name of the .obj of the scene.

Installation

Disable your old exporter (and instances addon if you have it), save settings, close Blender, delete the old folder from ./addons (and octinstances.py if you have it), copy the new folder, enable addon (its called OctaneRender Community Plugin now).

Test on backed-up scene :D

Current version 1.51 Changelog here
octanerender_v151.zip
(68.55 KiB) Downloaded 554 times

old versions
octanerender_v150.zip
(65.97 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
Last edited by matej on Thu May 22, 2014 8:12 am, edited 6 times in total.
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Community Plugin 1.50 - fixed for Octane 1.5+

Postby ROUBAL » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:12 pm

ROUBAL Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:12 pm
Wow ! Thank you very much ! I have a big lack of sleep and planned to go to bed sooner than usual, but I can't resist to switch on my workstation and try this new exporter ! ;)

EDIT : So far, I hadn't exported the camera with the previous exporter, as I mainly worked Inside Octane Standalone. So this time I have exported a simple cubes scene with the camera, and the behaviour is weird imho : the regular camera connected to the Old Mesh Preview Render Target is not influenced by the export, and the actual camera view as set up in Blender is obtained when selecting the exported obj node ... which is not supposed to contain the camera and has no output pin for the camera obviously ! Also, I can't save this camera location, and if I add other objects to the scene through Geometry Group, I lose the camera framing using the render target... I get the same behaviour with the exporter 2.02 version... Is the camera export broken, or do I misunderstand something ?

The first time I also got an error message saying that the Output folder had forbidden signs or spaces... and now it works. Weird !
French Blender user - CPU : intel Quad QX9650 at 3GHz - 8GB of RAM - Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. Display GPU : GeForce GTX 480 (2 Samsung 2443BW-1920x1600 monitors). External GPUs : two EVGA GTX 580 3GB in a Cubix GPU-Xpander Pro 2. NVidia Driver : 368.22.
ROUBAL
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kavorka » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:20 pm

kavorka Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:20 pm
Awesome!

I'll have to test it out this weekend :)
Intel quad core i5 @ 4.0 ghz | 8 gigs of Ram | Geforce GTX 470 - 1.25 gigs of Ram
kavorka
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby simdal » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:59 am

simdal Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:59 am
Thank you very much ! works fine for me.
Win 10 64, 4xGTX780ti 8xTeslaK80, Octane, Blender, Archicad
simdal
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby necko77 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:42 am

necko77 Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:42 am
Thank you Matej
ArchiCad, Blender, Moi3d
GTX 580 3GB
Win 7, 64 Bit
necko77

Postby matej » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:12 am

matej Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:12 am
@Roubal, the camera parameters are passed through command line arguments. Previously in the old .ocs & Octane versions, those command line parameters would be assigned to the camera node that was connected inside the "preview configuration" macro. But this is not the case anymore, now the camera params are assigned to some default camera node "behind the scenes", that is used to render when you click on a geometry node. The "old preview configuration" doesn't seem to do anything in the new .ocs scenes.

Sadly that means you cant use render targets with this exporter, because whatever the camera settings in the render target, will overwrite the exported camera settings. I had a script that could read or write any camera node from the .ocs in the past, but that was coded for the old .ocs structure and would need to be rewritten. Maybe something can be done with Lua scripting inside Octane, I'll check it out, but I'm a bit behind regarding Lua scripting. It's definitely a functionality I need too and will certainly try to make it happen.

@all, I forgot to mention that this version renders animations slightly slower, because it does rendering & exporting sequentially (while the original script is exporting the next frame while the current one is rendering). I intend to fix this too, I just wanted to throw out a working exporter asap and do optimizations later.
SW: Octane 3.05 | Linux Mint 18.1 64bit | Blender 2.78 HW: EVGA GTX 1070 | i5 2500K | 16GB RAM Drivers: 375.26
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ROUBAL » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:09 pm

ROUBAL Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:09 pm
now the camera params are assigned to some default camera node "behind the scenes",

@matej : Yes, It is what I had understood by experiments.

Anyway, thank you for your efforts !
French Blender user - CPU : intel Quad QX9650 at 3GHz - 8GB of RAM - Windows 7 Pro 64 bits. Display GPU : GeForce GTX 480 (2 Samsung 2443BW-1920x1600 monitors). External GPUs : two EVGA GTX 580 3GB in a Cubix GPU-Xpander Pro 2. NVidia Driver : 368.22.
ROUBAL
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby matej » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:46 pm

matej Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:46 pm
1.51 Update (download at the top of the first post)

* Speedup in exporting animations. It's now properly exporting the next frame geometry, while the current one is rendering in Octane, like the old exporter did. Which considerably speeds up animation export.

* Render targets & camera export. Besides a geometry node, you can now specify a Render Target node to render inside Octane. The current camera settings are now updated for that render target, ie. whichever camera node is connected to that RT, it gets updated via a Lua script. The Lua script file is generated on the fly for each frame.
plugin151.png
plugin151.png (16.73 KiB) Viewed 7109 times

Geometry node - name of a geometry node to render inside the .ocs. Usually its a Geometry Group type, but can be any one. If it's not specified, the .obj node name is used
Render Target - name of a RT node to render inside the .ocs. If it's specified, the geometry one is ignored. If its not specified, the geometry one is used.
Export camera - if you want to export the current Blender camera settings. If a RT is specified it will update the Camera node of that RT else it will update the "default" camera node "behind the scenes".
Export resolution - if you want to overwrite the res. setting in the RT node inside the .ocs

Get accustomed to properly name your nodes, if two have the same name, the behaviour is unknown ;)
cgmo.net
matej
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby kavorka » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:18 pm

kavorka Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:18 pm
Awesome!!

I love that we can choose render targets now. That was a big feature lacking before.

Now animations might just work if you have a geometry group. (I havent been able to test yet)

Question, is it possible for the project name, render target, etc, to have a drop down menu that shows everything you have used till now? Or maybe even something like the material editor where to add a render target.

That way you dont need to remember what they were or make sure they are spelt right.
Intel quad core i5 @ 4.0 ghz | 8 gigs of Ram | Geforce GTX 470 - 1.25 gigs of Ram
kavorka
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ROUBAL » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:42 pm

ROUBAL Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:42 pm
I have not yet tested for animations, but the ability of saving the camera/render target is a great improvement ! Well done ! Thank you very much Matej ! :P
ROUBAL
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Blender