Putting it all together, a walkthrough script. UPDATED

Forums: Putting it all together, a walkthrough script. UPDATED
Forum for OctaneRender Lua scripting examples, discussion and support.

Re: Putting it all together, a walkthrough script

Postby bepeg4d » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:44 pm

bepeg4d Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:44 pm
wow, great script, thanks mb for sharing :)
i have a little issue with the "Orbit Up/Down", at max-down the camera reach the 90° and then go back fore some frames.
you have the same issue as grimm with an error when a nested rt is selected:
Capture-st129-03.JPG

Capture-st129-03b.JPG

i would like to have a boole for enabling and disabling the sun animation part or in a separated advance tab like in the latest grimm's script ;)
anyway very good and useful, thanks again ;)
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby MB » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:05 pm

MB Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:05 pm
Beppe

i have a little issue with the "Orbit Up/Down", at max-down the camera reach the 90° and then go back fore some frames.

If I am understanding you, you seem to be saying that the orbit Up/Down slider actually is moving through an angle greater than 90 degrees. I cannot reproduce this, can you explain it in more detail?

To efffectively disable the Solar annimation you can set the Start Hour and End Hour to the same value and all frames will be rendered at that particular time. If you download the lates version of the script, available on the original post, it now supports a texture environment node which means you could create a walkthrough using an HDR background for instance.

I had used grimms code as a basis for this application as it provided a fabulous head start, so if his script has some issues, i'm not surprised this script has the some of the same ones. It seems your render target is a macro and I can't tell if it has all the right components, i.e. an environment and a camera node.
Could that be the issue?

Best

Mark
Last edited by MB on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 11, 2x Intel I9, 64GB Ram, 2x GTX 1080 TI, 1 x RTX 380 TI, Oculus Quest 2
MB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby bepeg4d » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:03 pm

bepeg4d Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:03 pm
hi,
try with this simple scene, it's an orbx file, import it and ungroup:
grimm-test3.rar
(5.32 KiB) Downloaded 323 times

i have tried with rt3 and this settings but it jump back a bit at the end:
Capture-st129-04.JPG

only rt3 and rt5 doesn't give errors, in the newest version, grimm has solved the issue:
http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=37489&start=100#p169647
ciao beppe
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru

Postby pixelrush » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:41 am

pixelrush Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:41 am
Thanks for the update. Small issues I noticed:
When I 'start' my render the preview settings strip isn't greyed out. also 'positions' at the bottom.
If I 'stop' a preview, and also with 'reset' the solar settings are no longer greyed out, even though its not using the sun.

Edit : I did some renaming and shuffling for my own benefit, a pic of which I leave you for consideration.
Its a pity Octane doesn't allow orbit up/down past 90 deg. (why Otoy guys?) because I wanted to do a barrel roll and you cant. :(
Attachments
rename.jpg
i7-3820 @4.3Ghz | 24gb | Win7pro-64
GTS 250 display + 2 x GTX 780 cuda| driver 331.65
Octane v1.55
pixelrush
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MB » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:30 pm

MB Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:30 pm
bepeg4d wrote:hi,
try with this simple scene, it's an orbx file, import it and ungroup:
grimm-test3.rar

i have tried with rt3 and this settings but it jump back a bit at the end:
Capture-st129-04.JPG

only rt3 and rt5 doesn't give errors, in the newest version, grimm has solved the issue:
http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=37489&start=100#p169647
ciao beppe

Since the camera in Octane can't be more than '90' degrees over the target, once that condition is reached, the animation reverses itself (i'm guessing this is a feature of the :setanimator function on a camera.) Your seeing this issue whenever you are looking up, i.e. the camera is below the target at the start of the frame sequence.

At some point i can put in a trap to prevent the user from moving the slider more degrees than it would take to get directly below the target.

Best
Last edited by MB on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 11, 2x Intel I9, 64GB Ram, 2x GTX 1080 TI, 1 x RTX 380 TI, Oculus Quest 2
MB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby MB » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:43 pm

MB Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:43 pm
Edit : I did some renaming and shuffling for my own benefit, a pic of which I leave you for consideration.
Its a pity Octane doesn't allow orbit up/down past 90 deg. (why Otoy guys?) because I wanted to do a barrel roll and you cant. :([/quote]

I like some of your ideas and you will see them reflected in my next version.
I work for a large architecture firm, our octane users don't know anything much about photograhic and motion picture terminology so i am trying to keep the UI industry nuetral so to speak, hence avoiding words like Gimbal and Dolly.

best
MB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby stratified » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:06 pm

stratified Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:06 pm
Hi Mark,

I don't know exactly what you mean by orbiting up and down. There's no limitation in Octane. I think (just guessing here) that at some point in the animation the camera direction and the camera up vector are parallel. We take a cross product of those to get the cam's right vector. If the vectors are parallel, the right vector is 0. In this case you would slightly perturb the up vector. If this is what's happening we can help you with that.

Barrel rolls are possible, have a look at this script:

http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=37562

cheers,
Thomas
stratified
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby MB » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:39 pm

MB Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:39 pm
stratified wrote:I don't know exactly what you mean by orbiting up and down. There's no limitation in Octane. I think (just guessing here) that at some point in the animation the camera direction and the camera up vector are parallel. We take a cross product of those to get the cam's right vector. If the vectors are parallel, the right vector is 0. In this case you would slightly perturb the up vector. If this is what's happening we can help you with that.

I had a complaint that if you set orbit down to 90deg, the animation would reverse direction if you started out looking up. In octane standalone you can only look straight up, or straight down, and everything in between, but you cant rotate 360 degress over the top of the model. I think this is very good behaviour btw.

However if you set up the orbit in the script so that it attempts to go beyond straight up or straight down, it hicups, then reverses direction, its not a big deal, the user need not tell it to orbit as far, and it won't happen. I'm guessing thats the way you have chosen to handle it. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

I haven't implemented yet, but i'm assuming barrel rolls can be done by rotating the up direction of the camera thru 360 or more degrees.

best
MB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pixelrush » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:25 pm

pixelrush Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:25 pm
> I think this is very good behaviour btw.

I think it is a good idea to limit up/down for usual navigation behaviour but for lua I think it could be open to 360. For lua you are programming the path not doing manual navigation. It shouldn't be necessary to workaround with flipping things IMO.
i7-3820 @4.3Ghz | 24gb | Win7pro-64
GTS 250 display + 2 x GTX 780 cuda| driver 331.65
Octane v1.55
pixelrush
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby stratified » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:48 am

stratified Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:48 am
pixelrush wrote:> I think this is very good behaviour btw.

I think it is a good idea to limit up/down for usual navigation behaviour but for lua I think it could be open to 360. For lua you are programming the path not doing manual navigation. It shouldn't be necessary to workaround with flipping things IMO.

This isn't a limitation of Octane it's mathematics. The cross product of 2 parallel vectors is 0. You can't view up or down in a scene without modifying the up vector of the camera.
stratified
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Lua Scripting