I NEED A TUTORIAL

Forums: I NEED A TUTORIAL
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about OctaneVR.

I NEED A TUTORIAL

Postby chesterfield » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:37 pm

chesterfield Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:37 pm
Hello, does anyone know how to render for gear vr?
I presume i need to change the camera to panoramic and the resolution to gear vr.
A tutorial would be great!!
chesterfield
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 1:36 am

Re: I NEED A TUTORIAL

Postby FooZe » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:59 am

FooZe Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:59 am
Hi,

Here are the steps:
1) Set the camera to panoramic
2) Set the projection to cube map
3) Enable side-by-side stereo
4) Set the resolution to Virtual reality -> GearVR stereo cube map (18432 x 1536).
5) Save as 8bpc PNG
6) Put your phone into the gearvr and wait for the oculus app to start.
7) Find and install the ORBX media player (start it and download the samples if you want to).
8) Close the app and put your PNG into /phone/ORBX/media/
User avatar
FooZe
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: I NEED A TUTORIAL

Postby chesterfield » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:16 am

chesterfield Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:16 am
Thank you.

I have a gtx 480 and it is not able to finish the render.

The fan starts to go really loud and problably the card goes hotter than usual and the monitor signal goes out.

I could not finish a test render yet.

Do you know how to solve this?
chesterfield
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 1:36 am

Re: I NEED A TUTORIAL

Postby FooZe » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:08 pm

FooZe Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:08 pm
You could try under-clocking your GPU with something like MSI afterburner or something, or making sure your GPU Fan and heatsink is dust free and there is good airflow through your case and enough space in front of the GPU's fan.
Running some GPU monitoring software should let you see the GPU's temperature as well.
User avatar
FooZe
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: I NEED A TUTORIAL

Postby therealjustlike » Fri May 01, 2015 6:46 am

therealjustlike Fri May 01, 2015 6:46 am
Thanks FooZe for the simple breakdown tut.

I have brought a few scenes from 3dsmax ...high, medium and low object count.
When I choose 9216x1536 (GearVR cube map) they all render fine
When I choose 18432 x 1536 my Octane render viewport goes to grey and doesn't render anything, even though the sample count is slowly climbing.

any more tips?

my system: GTX 770, i7-4770 with 64bit win7
i7-4770k, 16gb, gtx770
User avatar
therealjustlike
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:30 am
Location: oakland, ca

Re: I NEED A TUTORIAL

Postby Rikk The Gaijin » Fri May 01, 2015 7:35 am

Rikk The Gaijin Fri May 01, 2015 7:35 am
therealjustlike wrote:When I choose 18432 x 1536 my Octane render viewport goes to grey and doesn't render anything, even though the sample count is slowly climbing.

File > Preferences
In the Application tab set the Viewport to Software.
Rikk The Gaijin
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:28 pm
Location: Japan

Re: I NEED A TUTORIAL

Postby therealjustlike » Fri May 01, 2015 2:57 pm

therealjustlike Fri May 01, 2015 2:57 pm
Thanks Rikk, that worked :)
i7-4770k, 16gb, gtx770
User avatar
therealjustlike
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:30 am
Location: oakland, ca

Re: I NEED A TUTORIAL

Postby Rico_uk » Fri May 01, 2015 3:57 pm

Rico_uk Fri May 01, 2015 3:57 pm
Is that workflow the same for use with the Max plugin? I've tried it and in Max the Stereo feature doesn't do anything once I select Cube map. I guess the ORBX files can only be exported from Octane Standalone?
Also is animation supported?
Rico_uk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:42 pm

Re: I NEED A TUTORIAL

Postby Goldorak » Mon May 04, 2015 7:50 pm

Goldorak Mon May 04, 2015 7:50 pm
Rico_uk wrote:Is that workflow the same for use with the Max plugin? I've tried it and in Max the Stereo feature doesn't do anything once I select Cube map. I guess the ORBX files can only be exported from Octane Standalone?
Also is animation supported?


You can animate limited FOV er panos and our GearVR can play them back over static cube map or er pano backgrounds. We just added a feature to render a single face at a time, so you can animate up to 60 hz in a single cube face over a static BG. The latter is WIP but should be in the next app update. IN the meantime, the er pano video overlays look good.

Make sure you are using very latest Max plug-in. Are you getting 12 tiles in the render?
User avatar
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:09 pm

Re: I NEED A TUTORIAL

Postby Rico_uk » Tue May 05, 2015 10:25 am

Rico_uk Tue May 05, 2015 10:25 am
Goldorak wrote:
Rico_uk wrote:Is that workflow the same for use with the Max plugin? I've tried it and in Max the Stereo feature doesn't do anything once I select Cube map. I guess the ORBX files can only be exported from Octane Standalone?
Also is animation supported?


You can animate limited FOV er panos and our GearVR can play them back over static cube map or er pano backgrounds. We just added a feature to render a single face at a time, so you can animate up to 60 hz in a single cube face over a static BG. The latter is WIP but should be in the next app update. IN the meantime, the er pano video overlays look good.

Make sure you are using very latest Max plug-in. Are you getting 12 tiles in the render?


I'm using the latest release, Octane camera is set to Cube map (it then renders 6 panels), but changing the stereo dropdown has no effect and still renders 6 panels. Is there anything else I need to change to get it to render 12 panels inside of Max?

I'm also not too clear on the animated backgrounds that you mentioned, is there any documentation on that? Thanks Goldorak
Rico_uk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:42 pm
Next

Return to OctaneVR Questions & Discussion


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:20 am [ UTC ]