Corrupt orbx file when saved as a package.

Forums: Corrupt orbx file when saved as a package.
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Corrupt orbx file when saved as a package.

Postby MB » Mon May 02, 2022 2:18 pm

MB Mon May 02, 2022 2:18 pm
Has anyone encountered this:

Saving a scene as a package writes a corrupt orbx file that subsequently cannot be opened.
It appears that it is all of the image files that get corrupted, so when subsequently opening the orbx file any image texture based materials will not load. if you unpack the package, all of the image file types in the 'assets' folder (jpg, tiff, png) will not open in an image editor.

Does anyone have a fix for this or know what causes it to happen. Not positive but I think it only happens when overwriting a package that has been previously saved.

thx
Windows 7 Enterprise, 2x Intel Xeon X5650 2.66 GHz, 24GB Ram, GTX 590, Quadro 5000, Quadro K4200
MB
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Corrupt orbx file when saved as a package.

Postby Zay » Tue May 03, 2022 5:35 am

Zay Tue May 03, 2022 5:35 am
Which Octane version are you using?

You can try this. Unpack the .orbx. Close Octane. Do your image editing. Open the unpacked .ocs and make the changes and then pack it again.
Win 11 Pro | i5 12600K | 32GB ram | 2x GTX 1080Ti + 3080Ti - studio driver 516.94| Modo/Blender/ZBrush/Daz/Poser
Zay
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby pegot » Wed May 04, 2022 6:29 pm

pegot Wed May 04, 2022 6:29 pm
Yes I have had a few instances where my ORBX files were corrupted though I think my issue may be slightly different.

My problem occurred on ORBX files exported from Octane Blender after a night of rendering in Stand Alone. When I checked the job in the morning the rendering completed successfully but after saving the file (to ensure my changes in SA to the ORBX were kept) and upon trying to reopen the saved ORBX, Octane could no longer find paths to the internal assets. See attached screen shot.

Screenshot 2022-03-19 111101.png

The assets are still in the ORBX file though as file size does not change and, in fact, all the assets could be unpacked and later manually re-linked.

This issue occurred at least 4 or 5 times for me and always when I was rendering an ORBEX from my file server. Don’t know if that, and the fact that the computer goes to sleep after some time of inactivity after the render completes, has anything to do with it.

If devs want to take a look at my ORBX file PM me.
Win 10
3.7Ghz i9 10900k / 64GB
ASUS STRIX Z490-E
PSU: PowerSpec 850Wd
RTX 3090 Asus Tuff

Network rendering:
Win 10
4.2Ghz i7 7700k / 64GB
AsRock SuperCarrier
PSU: EVGA 1200w
RTX 3080 Ti EVGA Hybrid
RTX 3080 ASUS Tuff
GTX 1080ti SC Black (wc)
pegot
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby john_otoy » Wed May 04, 2022 6:51 pm

john_otoy Wed May 04, 2022 6:51 pm
MB wrote:Saving a scene as a package writes a corrupt orbx file that subsequently cannot be opened.

Hi MB. I think you may have already submitted your corrupted orbx to support? Would it be possible to get a zipped copy of the original scene and its files, so we can try running an export here?
Please PM me, or reply to support if you've already contacted them.

pegot wrote:Yes I have had a few instances where my ORBX files were corrupted though I think my issue may be slightly different.

Hi pegot. I have PMed you.
john_otoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby abstrax » Wed May 04, 2022 8:28 pm

abstrax Wed May 04, 2022 8:28 pm
It's the first time I hear of those problems. I had a look at the ORBX from pegot and it consists mostly of 0s. What is interesting though is that in both cases, the OCS file inside the package is intact while all assets are corrupted. The assets are still there and seem to have the correct sizes, but only contain garbage. Not sure what to make of it.
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is. - Yogi Berra
abstrax
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to General Discussion