wireless nodes

Forums: wireless nodes
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

wireless nodes

Postby gah5118 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:17 pm

gah5118 Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:17 pm
It would be great if there was a way to create "wireless" node connections. This would make things look cleaner and a lot easier to grab things when it gets really hairy.

A possible solution that i would think would be doable, would be a hotkey and/or button making the node connections visible or not. This way, once you have things set up the way you would like, you no longer are dealing with a mess of connections.

Also maybe a way to selectively show node connections... for example, select a material and press a key to show only its connections.

Another thing that would be useful is when selecting a part with a picker, to have a hotkey to focus, snap or highlight where that node is located. This would be particularly useful when your scene is loaded with tons of materials since when you zoom out far enough, you can't see where it's located. (I have worked on projects with up to 150 materials and it was a nightmare)
Windows 8.1 | i7 950 | GTX 780ti | 24gb ddr3
gah5118
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: wireless nodes

Postby gah5118 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:28 pm

gah5118 Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:28 pm
revisiting this idea.

functionality can work as follows

node wires can be dimmed to clearly see the nodes. when mouse over node groups, the associated wires un-dim. Furthermore, it's really frustrating if you have some node groups that are "behind" the wires when trying to grab the node. Generally you have to fight with disconnecting nodes in the process. Instead, when there is a node group behind the wires... the nodegroup should take priority and allow for easy grabbing without the wires interfering.
Windows 8.1 | i7 950 | GTX 780ti | 24gb ddr3
gah5118
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to General Discussion