Phantom Scatter [1.12.2] Export and press CTRL+V in Octane!

Forums: Phantom Scatter [1.12.2] Export and press CTRL+V in Octane!
Generic forum to discuss Octane Render, post ideas and suggest improvements.
Forum rules
Please add your OS and Hardware Configuration in your signature, it makes it easier for us to help you analyze problems. Example: Win 7 64 | Geforce GTX680 | i7 3770 | 16GB

Phantom Scatter [1.12.2] Export and press CTRL+V in Octane!

Postby Phantom107 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:45 pm

Phantom107 Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:45 pm
Phantom Scatter 1.12.2 is now available!

> Visit the Phantom Scatter website!

Last edited by Phantom107 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 51 times in total.
Phantom107
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Phantom Scatter | Automatized instancing solution

Postby glimpse » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:37 pm

glimpse Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:37 pm
ok, now that's really interesting! looking frward for any progress! =)
glimpse
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rappet » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:42 pm

rappet Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:42 pm
Very interesting indeed :)
I am thinking of how to use it when havong a workflow with a OR plugin :?:
I'll be watching this post closely :mrgreen:
Greetz,
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Phantom107 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:22 am

Phantom107 Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:22 am
Update
I've added completed functions/todo lists to the main post. Different preview size areas and a rotatable camera have been added to the Library program. I will now start work on the OBJ import script.

rappet, as for the workflow with a OR plugin: I have no idea size I do not own such plugin. Is there any way of getting external data in the plugin itself? It's possible for me to export data in another format if that'll work. Programming a custom plugin for your software is no option, I have no experience in those programming languages.
Phantom107
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby rappet » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:36 am

rappet Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:36 am
Hi Phantom107,
SCattering in the plugin works like in the OR Standalone with linking to a csv file.
greetz,
rappet
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby smicha » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:41 am

smicha Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:41 am
Phantom,

As you already know the plugin for converting component data from Sketchup into scatter data in Octane indeed lacks some automation process, i.e., nested components, exporting multiple components at once, etc.

My questions:

0. Do I get it correct?: a model in e.g., SU -> export it as obj -> your plugin -> many objs and scatter data as output?

1. My concern is: if I have 1k copies of a component that has 1m polys I don't export all of the copies to obj - there is no use to do it. I just export a single component and then apply my and TIG's plugin to export scatter data. I am not sure how efficient your plugin will be when it comes to export let's say 100m polys into a huge obj file and then tell your plugin to recognise scatter data from it. Am I missing something? What about reading data from skp files instead of from obj?

2. General idea of the plugin is great. But what if I want to generate some scatter data over a given area. Let's say I want to build grass over custom area in SU. Will it be possible to generate such grass with a use of your plugin? Or it will serve as a 'converter/reader' of already built grass in SU and the plugin will read scatter data from it? Do I make myself clear?

3. I still think that apart from external plugin, a plugin for SU would rock:
- use e.g., sandbox to generate custom area
- fire your plugin and choose e.g., generate grass over the area
- only scatter data and single objs for unique grass are generated. No addition components are visible in SU.

Additionally your plugin may have some presets for grass, trees, crowd, stones, etc, but this is dreaming... :)

Look forward to test your plugin.
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Phantom107 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:06 am

Phantom107 Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:06 am
smicha,

0. My tool does not export OBJs. I exports scatter data. Exporting OBJs would be way too taxing too process as it will create huge filesize and cost a ton of VRAM while rendering! The entire concept of instancing is that you load up models once, and them scatter them around at super low VRAM cost :). You have to create the OBJs used for scattering yourself. So one OBJ for a piece of grass, one OBJ for a tree, one OBJ for a person. This is entirely up to you so you can make whatever you desire.

Say you would want to scatter grass on your lawn. It will work as follows:
- Inside your model, create a material for the grass: let's use "material_grass" as an example
- You export your model as OBJ
- My software scans your OBJ for the material "material_grass" (as defined in the material list), and generate scattering data. It will export this data.
- Inside Octane, you import your OBJ model
- Inside Octane, import a grass OBJ model
- Inside Octane, create an scattering node for the grass and import my software's exported instancing data
- Combine the two with a Geometry Node and you're done! You'll see the instanced grass as well as your own model.
- Render!!

I will provide images to clear this up visually as soon as I have everything functional but I'll need time to figure everything out and code the scripts.

Benefits: fast production pipeline, low VRAM cost, and you can just import your OBJ in my software again to generate new instancing data!

1. See answer 0.

2. Yes, it will be possible to generate grass scatter data. This tool is to create scattering data not OBJ models! See answer 0.

3. I'm sorry, I do not know how to program in ruby (programming language SketchUp uses) so I can't make a plugin. But by keeping it standalone I have full control over the software and people with other modeling programs can use it too!

If this didn't answer your questions please let me know.
Phantom107
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:56 pm

FrankPooleFloating Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:56 pm
Us Lightwave users have incredible instancing and is fully supported by Octane LW plug...
grass, trees etc never, ever looked so f-ing gorgeous.

However, I commend you greatly on your efforts! Many are going to love this and use the
shit out of it. Really, really nice interface too.. You da man!

Good luck bro!
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby resmas » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:11 pm

resmas Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:11 pm
Hello Phantom...great work there. When you have some images let us see.

Cherrs
i7-2600k | SSD Vertex 3 | WD Velociraptor | WS Revolution | 16GB Ram HyperX | PSU LEPA G1600W | 3 X Asus GTX590 |
https://pt-pt.facebook.com/arq.resmas
resmas
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby smicha » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:20 pm

smicha Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:20 pm
Phantom,

I think I get the general idea.

My another question to you is: will your plugin generate scatter data for all object located only on the same/flat surfaces? Or will it be possible to generate scatter data for e.g., grass/trees on valleys, mountains, etc.?
3090, Titan, Quadro, Xeon Scalable Supermicro, 768GB RAM; Sketchup Pro, Classical Architecture.
Custom alloy powder coated laser cut cases, Autodesk metal-sheet 3D modelling.
build-log http://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42540
smicha
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to General Discussion