2014 NAB Show: OTOY outlines the future of OctaneRender™,
details forthcoming features for added realism and sophisticated
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – April 7, 2014 – At the annual NAB Show this week, OTOY Inc. announced new
advances in development for its popular OctaneRender™ software that will enable sophisticated
editing of computer-generated scenes. Originally previewed at the NVIDIA GPU Technology Conference
in March, the new features being made public now are focused on achieving increased
realism in renders, and allowing for complex manipulation of scene elements. The new features
- Deformable object motion blur – Combining support for deformable objects and motion blur, this
feature will allow for realistic simulation of specific parts of objects in motion.
- Render pass output for lighting layers – Enabling greater fine-tuning of lighting settings
following rendering, this feature will produce images for each render pass that constitute an
image such as reflections, refractions, normal, direct and indirect lighting, among others.
- Deep compositing pipeline – Through the use of multi-layer EXR files, this feature will allow for
the compositing of ‘deep images’ that contain information about the coverage and depth of each
pixel. Each layer in the EXR file stores a render pass which can then be composited in
- Out-of-core rendering – Scenes that don’t fit into graphics memory will be supported through out
of core rendering, storing currently unused source data in host memory while swapping it into
graphics memory when required.
- User-defined GPU procedurals – The ability to create complex textures and shaders using Lua
code either to pre-calculate them as images or to execute on the fly while rendering.
These features will be included in a forthcoming version of OctaneRender™ sometime after version 2.0.
About OTOY Inc.
OTOY Inc. is the definitive cloud graphics company, pioneering technology that is redefining content
creation and delivery for media and entertainment organizations around the world. OTOY’s Academy
Award®-winning technology is used by leading visual effects studios, artists, animators, designers,
architects, and engineers, providing unprecedented creative freedom, new levels of realism, and new
economies in content creation and distribution powered by the cloud. For more information, visit
- For more on the new features anticipated in OctaneRender™ 2.0 go here.
- Follow OTOY on Facebook and Twitter.
- Download the OTOY logo here.
- Get more images rendered using OTOY software here.