OctaneRender for LightWave Initial Overview

Forums: OctaneRender for LightWave Initial Overview
Read about News and Updates regarding Octane Render in this forum.
Forum rules
For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.
This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

Re: OctaneRender for LightWave Initial Overview

Postby juanjgon » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:24 pm

juanjgon Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:24 pm
OctaneRender for Lightwave introduction video:



-Juanjo
Computer Graphics Software Developer
Octane plugin development and support: LightWave and Houdini
User avatar
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer
 
Posts: 7038
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:01 pm
Location: Spain

Re: OctaneRender for LightWave Initial Overview

Postby mikadit » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:43 pm

mikadit Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:43 pm
Nice!
Thank you.
mikadit
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 10:49 am

Re: OctaneRender for LightWave Initial Overview

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:28 am

FrankPooleFloating Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:28 am
Sorry if this has been asked before: could you be rendering something in LW Octane on one GPU AND be rendering something else in Octane Standalone on another GPU?... I do not think I would hardly ever do this, but would be good to know if I was in a real pinch - and needed to multitask my renderings to get out of a jam...

Thanx Juanjo
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || Blender Plug || LightWave Plug|| Blender E-Cycles
User avatar
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 1659
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:48 pm

Re: OctaneRender for LightWave Initial Overview

Postby pinochio » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:24 am

pinochio Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:24 am
This is looking very very nice, Juanjo.
And a few questions:
1. When do you think the public beta will come out?
2. Documentation wise, I was thinking how the docs will look like. Closer to the octane documentation, with an explanation of the Octane features and the sister lightwave implementation? Will we be able to translate the same settings in lightwave implementation from the standalone version? Also, maybe explanations compared to the lightwave standard nodes?
3. Maybe not from the V1.0, do you think that`ll be possible to automaticaly export/convert octane scenes and/or materials to the lightwave implementation? And the other way around too?
4. Maybe some videotutorials? :)
5. And of course, demo/example scenes?

Thanks again, for your work.
This is getting harder and harder to wait. :)
pinochio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:57 am

Re: OctaneRender for LightWave Initial Overview

Postby juanjgon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:31 am

juanjgon Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:31 am
FrankPooleFloating wrote:Sorry if this has been asked before: could you be rendering something in LW Octane on one GPU AND be rendering something else in Octane Standalone on another GPU?... I do not think I would hardly ever do this, but would be good to know if I was in a real pinch - and needed to multitask my renderings to get out of a jam...

Thanx Juanjo


I think that you can open more than one rendering session without problems.

-Juanjo
Computer Graphics Software Developer
Octane plugin development and support: LightWave and Houdini
User avatar
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer
 
Posts: 7038
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:01 pm
Location: Spain

Re: OctaneRender for LightWave Initial Overview

Postby juanjgon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:37 am

juanjgon Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:37 am
pinochio wrote:This is looking very very nice, Juanjo.
And a few questions:
1. When do you think the public beta will come out?
2. Documentation wise, I was thinking how the docs will look like. Closer to the octane documentation, with an explanation of the Octane features and the sister lightwave implementation? Will we be able to translate the same settings in lightwave implementation from the standalone version? Also, maybe explanations compared to the lightwave standard nodes?
3. Maybe not from the V1.0, do you think that`ll be possible to automaticaly export/convert octane scenes and/or materials to the lightwave implementation? And the other way around too?
4. Maybe some videotutorials? :)
5. And of course, demo/example scenes?

Thanks again, for your work.
This is getting harder and harder to wait. :)


Hi,

1- really soon ;)
2- I am now writting the docs. In this first stage, while public beta, they are going to be available online as a reference HTML docs. Later Otoy team will write a PDF like the ones available for Standalone and the other plugins.
3- You can't load Standalone scenes into Lightwave, but all settings are the same ... you work inside Lightwave with the same nodes and the same parameters and settings you have in the Standalone app.
4- I have the first one online: https://vimeo.com/60763976
5- I will make some basic demo scenes along public beta testing process.

-Juanjo
Last edited by juanjgon on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Computer Graphics Software Developer
Octane plugin development and support: LightWave and Houdini
User avatar
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer
 
Posts: 7038
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:01 pm
Location: Spain

Re: OctaneRender for LightWave Initial Overview

Postby pinochio » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:48 am

pinochio Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:48 am
juanjgon wrote:
3- This may be very complex, even impossible. Octane render has nothing to do with LW render, there are a lot of compatibility issues, a lot of materials not supported, all LW CPU nodes not supported, etc. ... you must think that Octane is other engine, and needs it's own scene, lighting and materials setup.

-Juanjo


Thanks for answers.

Regarding nr. 3: If the automatic conversion is not possible it means the settings inside the lightwave version and standallone version may be more or less different?
The second part of the second question it was wrongly placed. I think it was more related to question nr. 3: Will we be able to translate the same settings in lightwave implementation from the standalone version?

Cheers,

P.S. - The answer to the first question it was totally unsatisfactory. I was expecting a very precise date. :(
I`m joking. I think, no matter how excited we are, being ready when it`s ready is the best approach, inclusive for us, the customers. So, in my IMHO, take your time and release it only when you think it`s right.
pinochio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:57 am

Re: OctaneRender for LightWave Initial Overview

Postby juanjgon » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:58 am

juanjgon Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:58 am
pinochio wrote:Thanks for answers.

Regarding nr. 3: If the automatic conversion is not possible it means the settings inside the lightwave version and standallone version may be more or less different?
The second part of the second question it was wrongly placed. I think it was more related to question nr. 3: Will we be able to translate the same settings in lightwave implementation from the standalone version?

Cheers,

P.S. - The answer to the first question it was totally unsatisfactory. I was expecting a very precise date. :(
I`m joking. I think, no matter how excited we are, being ready when it`s ready is the best approach, inclusive for us, the customers. So, in my IMHO, take your time and release it only when you think it`s right.


Sorry, I didn't understand well your 3 question ... I was thinking about convert Lightwave scene to Octane scenes. You can't load Standalone scenes into Lightwave, but all settings are the same ... you work inside Lightwave with the same nodes and the same parameters and settings you have in the Standalone app.

-Juanjo
Computer Graphics Software Developer
Octane plugin development and support: LightWave and Houdini
User avatar
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer
 
Posts: 7038
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:01 pm
Location: Spain

Re: OctaneRender for LightWave Initial Overview

Postby pinochio » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:38 pm

pinochio Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:38 pm
juanjgon wrote:Sorry, I didn't understand well your 3 question ... I was thinking about convert Lightwave scene to Octane scenes. You can't load Standalone scenes into Lightwave, but all settings are the same ... you work inside Lightwave with the same nodes and the same parameters and settings you have in the Standalone app.

-Juanjo


It was my fault. The 2nd and 3rd question were mixed. Now it`s more clear, I think this was the answer I was looking for.

Regarding the automatic thingy, if the parameters and settings are the same in standalone and lightwave implementation, why is not possible to convert the scene? you can export the obj, camera, etc. Do we have more lightwave specific options and less octane features inside lightwave? If I can do it the manually, it means it can be done automatically too.
To be honest, I don`t think this automatic conversion is necessary, even though it might be useful sometimes. I think I was just thinking out loud. :)
pinochio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:57 am

Re: OctaneRender for LightWave Initial Overview

Postby aw1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:34 pm

aw1 Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:34 pm
@juanjgon

whats the expected release date?

Thanks
Windows 7 Pro, i7 4770, 16 GB Ram, 1TB SSD, Asus GTX780Ti 3GB
User avatar
aw1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:27 am
PreviousNext

Return to News & Announcements


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 13 guests

Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:55 am [ UTC ]