First interior scenes renderings - Need advices

Forums: First interior scenes renderings - Need advices
Discuss or ask critique about your current works
Forum rules
Important notice: All artwork submitted on our public gallery forums gallery forums may or may not be used by OTOY for publication on our website gallery.
If you do not want us to publish your art, please mention it in your post clearly. (put a very red small diagonal cross in the left right corner of the image)
Any images already published on the gallery will be removed if the original author asks us to do so.
We recommend placing your credits on the images so you benefit from the exposure too, and use a minimum image width of 1200 pixels, and use pathtracing or PMC. Thanks for your attention, The OctaneRender Team.

For new users: this forum is moderated. Your first post will appear only after it has been reviewed by a moderator, so it will not show up immediately.

This is necessary to avoid this forum being flooded by spam.

First interior scenes renderings - Need advices

Postby aquelito » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:05 am

aquelito Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:05 am
Hello there,

I have purchased Octane few months ago and I am just starting playing with it.
I will use it to render mainly interior scenes.

Enclosed renders have been rendered into Sketchup, using the plugin.

The first picture enclosed is a later render, using a different floor texture. I do not really like the result on this one, especially the lights...
The three last renders are from the same "batch". Seems better to me.

I used Sketchup ambient light, as well as spots lights emittors (using an IES file).

The renders are around 8000 passes and are postprocessed with Nik Collection Sharpener.

I would like to get your advices to improve the renders, especially

- the lighting,
- white wall treatment,
- FOV, that is how to blur the foregroudn and focus on the background

Thanks !
Attachments
salon.png
lol_e_lol.jpg
cool_cool.jpg
warm_and_fuzzy.jpg
Win 10 / XMG Core 14 / dGPU GTX 1650 + eGPU RTX 2070 Super / Octane for Sketchup
aquelito
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: First interior scenes renderings - Need advices

Postby enricocerica » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:03 am

enricocerica Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:03 am
I guess you are using Direct Lighting AO, I would suggest to use Path trace or PMC instead or Direct Lighting diffuse to have indirect light. Also if you really want to use DL AO reduce the AO distance, I guess you are using 3 (default) reduce it to 2.
Your walls are glossy, probably to much, use diffuse or reduce the glossyness and increase the roughness to avoid too much reflection to get a better natural effect. Be aware that glossy materials may produce lot of fireflies. You could also create a mix material with a glossy mat and a diffuse one with a few emitting light to increase the overall lighting on the walls.
Try to get better textures to avoid repeating.
Sunlight produces hard shadows, use HDR instead or increase the sun size to blur the shadows.
Place portals with normals pointing inside, put them in front of the windows inside the room (not outside !), once the portals are placed you could also decide to convert them in emitter planes to increase the lighting entering in the room.
If you get too much fireflies with windows glasses using specular meterial you could also use glossy material with alpha set to ~0.12 and ior set to 1.
Last edited by enricocerica on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Modeling system : I7 32GB Windows 10 & Fujitsu Celsius H720
GPU : 1x Gigabyte GTX580 3GB + 1x MSI GTX780 3GB + 1x PALIT GTX780 6GB +1x Asus Stix GTX1070 8GB
http://www.myline.be
enricocerica
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Marvez » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:54 pm

Marvez Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:54 pm
Aquelito, WOW the Master has shared some great insight, thanks for posting so could learn as well
I7 5820K 16MB RAM SSD850PRO GTX 970/780
Marvez
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby aquelito » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:34 am

aquelito Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:34 am
enricocerica wrote:I guess you are using Direct Lighting AO, I would suggest to use Path trace or PMC instead or Direct Lighting diffuse to have indirect light. Also if you really want to use DL AO reduce the AO distance, I guess you are using 3 (default) reduce it to 2.
Your walls are glossy, probably to much, use diffuse or reduce the glossyness and increase the roughness to avoid too much reflection to get a better natural effect. Be aware that glossy materials may produce lot of fireflies. You could also create a mix material with a glossy mat and a diffuse one with a few emitting light to increase the overall lighting on the walls.
Try to get better textures to avoid repeating.
Sunlight produces hard shadows, use HDR instead or increase the sun size to blur the shadows.
Place portals with normals pointing inside, put them in front of the windows inside the room (not outside !), once the portals are placed you could also decide to convert them in emitter planes to increase the lighting entering in the room.
If you get too much fireflies with windows glasses using specular meterial you could also use glossy material with alpha set to ~0.12 and ior set to 1.

Great, thanks a lot Enrico !

I am indeed using DL AO because it's way way faster than PMC on my tiny computer (only one 750 Ti). I've purchased a GTX 970, we'll see if PMC is an option time-wise.
Thanks a lot for your advices on portal and the sun settings ; hard shadows were indeed my main issue.

I could retrieve the wall material from Octane demo files ; I'll try the other settings asap.
Win 10 / XMG Core 14 / dGPU GTX 1650 + eGPU RTX 2070 Super / Octane for Sketchup
aquelito
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Works In Progress