OctaneRender™ for LightWave™ 1.5 beta - build 1.25.0

Forums: OctaneRender™ for LightWave™ 1.5 beta - build 1.25.0
Newtek Lightwave 3D (exporter developed by holocube, Integrated Plugin developed by juanjgon)

Moderator: juanjgon

OctaneRender™ for LightWave™ 1.5 beta - build 1.25.0

Postby juanjgon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:51 pm

juanjgon Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:51 pm
Hello,

This is a new release of the OctaneRender™ for LightWave™ plugin, Version 1.5 beta, build 1.25.0 - released for Lightwave 10.x and 11.x Windows x32 and x64 and for LW 11.x OSX.

Please, remember that this release is a beta. Could be very useful a report of any problems you could find while using this new version.

Download plugin links:
http://render.otoy.com/customerdownload ... indows.zip
http://render.otoy.com/customerdownload ... .0_OSX.zip

Octane 1.5 new features introduction video:
https://vimeo.com/82954226

How to install the plugin (Windows):
- Download the install file, you can see that inside it there are the plugin for all Lightwave versions, the octane.dll and octane.dat files (for x32 and x64) and a custom LW menu bar file
- Copy the octane.dll and octane.dat files into you install Lightwave/bin directory
- Add the plugin from Lightwave Layout, select the plugin for your Lightwave version (10.x or 11.5 or 11.6)
- Install the custom menu bar to get access to the Octane features

How to update the plugin (Windows):
- It is like install the plugin again (copy the .dll and .dat files to the Lightwave/bin directory and add the plugin and menu bar again), but you must be sure that there aren't any octane master plugins running in the Layout before try to add the plugin again. There is a live master plugin needed to start/stop the engine that must be closed to allow plugin reinstall.
- This build uses the new Octane SDK 1.25, if you are working with Windows please be sure that you update the Octane.dat and Octane.dll files inside your Lightwave/bin folder.

How to install the plugin (OSX):
- Download the install file, you can see that inside it there is the plugin and a custom LW menu bar file
- Add the plugin from Lightwave Layout
- Install the custom menu bar to get access to the Octane features

How to update the plugin (OSX):
- It is like install the plugin again (add the plugin and menu bar again), but you must be sure that there aren't any octane master plugins running in the Layout before try to add the plugin again. There is a live master plugin needed to start/stop the engine that must be closed to allow plugin reinstall.

*NEW FEATURES IN THE 1.25.0 RELEASE*
- New coordinate system (world or local) inside the projection node.
- Now all procedurals works by default in local coordinate system. To work with a procedural in world space coordinates user can plug a projection node in the procedural node projection input and set the world space there.
- Added an option to the info channel kernel to allow the rendering of bump/normal mapped normals (in modes "Shading normals" and "Wireframe").
- Added support for native motion blur in the camera FOV parameter. Only visible in final rendering, IPR can't show the FOV MB currently because the IPR camera has it's own FOV parameter to control the zoom.
- OSX release

*BUGS FIXED IN THE 1.25.0 RELEASE*
- Hide the user account password in the LWSN logs
- Layout crash if user edit a Octane light parameter while one or more non Octane lights are selected. Fixed.
- Delete an image in the LW image editor crash Octane render. Fixed.
- Crash after close the IPR window. Added a resetProject() command before close the IPR window to try to fix it.
- Fix the coordinate space mode in camera mapping node.

Enjoy it :)
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender™ for LightWave™ 1.5 beta - build 1.25.0

Postby FrankPooleFloating » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:10 pm

FrankPooleFloating Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:10 pm
Thanks J ;)

Do we need to install the menus again?.. Nothing has changed to warrant this, right?.. and if you can let us know anytime that we do not need to do the menus anew, that would be cool...
Win10Pro || GA-X99-SOC-Champion || i7 5820k w/ H60 || 32GB DDR4 || 3x EVGA RTX 2070 Super Hybrid || EVGA Supernova G2 1300W || Tt Core X9 || LightWave Plug (v4 for old gigs) || Blender E-Cycles
FrankPooleFloating
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:20 pm

juanjgon Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:20 pm
FrankPooleFloating wrote:Thanks J ;)

Do we need to install the menus again?.. Nothing has changed to warrant this, right?.. and if you can let us know anytime that we do not need to do the menus anew, that would be cool...

Yes, sorry ... menu is the same, in fact if you have the 1.23.2 installed you only need to replace the plugin file and the Octane.dll and Octane.dat

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby funk » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:14 pm

funk Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:14 pm
Thanks for the update Juanjo!

I just noticed Octane lights set to portal are not working correctly. Light from the environment texture is not passing through them (as if they casting shadow). I had a room where all windows were covered by portals and very little light was getting in. If I use geometry and apply a portal material to it, it works fine.

I think I found a workaround until it's fixed:
1. Change the light type to something other than portal
2. Check "shape cast shadow"
3. Switch the light type back to portal

The portal stops casting a shadow
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:12 am

juanjgon Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:12 am
funk wrote:Thanks for the update Juanjo!

I just noticed Octane lights set to portal are not working correctly. Light from the environment texture is not passing through them (as if they casting shadow). I had a room where all windows were covered by portals and very little light was getting in. If I use geometry and apply a portal material to it, it works fine.

I think I found a workaround until it's fixed:
1. Change the light type to something other than portal
2. Check "shape cast shadow"
3. Switch the light type back to portal

The portal stops casting a shadow

Thanks for report it. In the next release all light sources are going to have the cast shadows option disabled by default, including the portal lights.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby juanjgon » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:23 am

juanjgon Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:23 am
In fact now all lights have the "cast shadow" option disabled. I suppose that you enabled it when light was not a portal and later you change the light type.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby funk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:59 am

funk Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:59 am
Cast shadow is disabled by default as you said. With the portals, I have to actually ENABLE it for light to pass through them, so something funny is going on.

Here is a simple scene that has a portal sitting in the middle of some geometry. You can see half the geometry is darker than the other because the portal seems to be blocking light. If you change the light type and ENABLE "shape cast shadow", then go back to portal light type, the scene looks fine.
Attachments
portal-bug.jpg
portal_test.zip
(12.96 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:25 am

funk Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:25 am
Just to be sure, I installed 1.20.6 again and rendered the same scene. The portal works fine.

It seems this bug was introduced in 1.23.2
Attachments
portal-1206.jpg
portal-1206.jpg (15.86 KiB) Viewed 5465 times
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby BorisGoreta » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:30 pm

BorisGoreta Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:30 pm
332.21 driver just stops at "UPDATING SCENE IN GPU ..." with a black image always, I can close IPR and continu working but I can't get any image to appear. Previous drivers work fine.
BorisGoreta
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:24 pm

juanjgon Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:24 pm
BorisGoreta wrote:332.21 driver just stops at "UPDATING SCENE IN GPU ..." with a black image always, I can close IPR and continu working but I can't get any image to appear. Previous drivers work fine.

Here I am working with 332.21 and Windows 7 without problems. Are you working with Windows 8 or 8.1? and F9/F10 rendering works?

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Next

Return to Lightwave 3D