SOLUTIONS TO COMMON ISSUES
1) Make sure your NVIDIA drivers are up to date.
2) Refer to the Troubleshooting section of the manual at https://docs.otoy.com/ModoH/ModoPluginManual.htm#Modo/Troubleshooting.htm
3) Cuda error 999 - failed to load shader code: Multiple definition of 'cpSptStatistics' in 'cuda_teturemode' means that your plugin version is too old for the Nvidia drivers that are installed, so update to the latest version of the plugin.
Windows : Modo11, Modo12 and Modo13 on Window Vista, 7, 8 or 10 64bit
OSX : Modo11, Modo12 and Modo13 on Macintosh OS X 64bit El Capitan onwards
Linux : Modo11, Modo12 and Modo13 on 64bit Linux
To use this version, you need a GPU of compute model 3.0 or higher. Support for Fermi GPUs (like GTX 4xx and 5xx) has been dropped. Also make sure you use a driver of version 419.17 or higher and if you are working on Mac OS that have a CUDA driver installed that supports at least CUDA 9.1.
For Network Rendering, you must use the Octane slave release from the Octane Standalone installer which matches the exact Octane version of the plugin you are using.
If you have a support issue, pls provide the following information:
- Modo version
- OctaneRender for Modo version (ie. 220.127.116.11)
- Operating System (ie. Win XP, Vista, 7, 8)
- Amount of RAM
- Graphics Card(s) - model (ie. GTX 580, 3GB)
- Nvidia driver version
Prior to reporting issues, please try Modo->System->Open User Folder->Shutdown Modo->then delete the MODO[version].CFG file and restart Modo.
The most important part of resolving a problem is me being able to re-produce that problem. So pls provide as much detail as possible in order for me to do this, and if the problem is specific to the scene, send me the scene.
For more information
- Read the on-line manual, including the FAQ, Troubleshooting Guide and Limitations sections
- Watch the video tutorials at https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=59793
- Watch the video tutorials at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRCItLUW7oheOp5vCGgkCCw
- Watch the amazing PixelFondue videos at https://render.otoy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=59793
- Post your question on this forum thread
Current TEST build (Octane 2019.1.5)
- For users with an Enterprise subscription license
For users with a Studio subscription license
Previous TEST build (Octane 2019.1.5)
- For users with an Enterprise subscription license
For users with a Studio subscription license
- Fixed a number of small issues introduced in release 158
- Revised the render status window to only show relevant information, and also provide details for when render region is on
- Compiled with Octane 2019.1.5
- Added support for U & V Tile Offset for image maps during on-the-fly material conversions and with Octane Overrides. As Modo and Octane apply UV rotations, translations and scaling in different orders, applying a rotation, scale and translation to a Modo Texture Locator will not render correctly in Octane. I have submitted a feature request to Octane to help resolve this.
- Added texture locator support for UV options on light textures
- Added Object Motion Blur support for Mesh Instances. When the Mesh "Object Motion Blur on Instances" channel is enabled, the visibility of the mesh and instances CANNOT be animated, and the visibility state will be taken from frame 0 and apply throughout the animation. if "Object Motion Blur on Instances" is not enabled, the visibility of the mesh and instances is determined at the CURRENT FRAME being rendered (as happens currently).
- Fixed bug where Animation Samples Per Frame values other than 1 were not working correctly if object motion blur was enabled for that replicator
- Added UI Hints to the Octane material node Dispersion pins
- Improved the rendering statistics window so that it now shows the Info passes being rendered after the beauty pass (useful on complex, slow rendering scenes)
- Fixed issue where Octane Proxies could not be edited or saved if they were an instance source mesh
- Fixed issues associated with saving animations with the Deep Image EXR save format
- When rendering animations with "Export Render Passes As Discrete File" ticked, the frame number and the render pass name have been swapped in the filename (ie. renderpass is now before frame number)
- The octane.save and octane.renderAndSave command arguments have changed for exr 32 bit formats to exr32, exr32renderpasses, exr32tonemapped, exr32tonemappedrenderpasses, so update any scripts you have which use the old arguments
- The plugin now saves the Octane version to the scene was saved with.
- Fixed issue where the octane.createUdim command was not working
- Added support for the octane.importLiveDb command to import the new OTOY Procedural Textures (however to do this, you need to select an Octane Override prior to executing the octane.importLiveDb command
- The Gradient node now provides up to 10 position/value pair inputs. Set the number of inputs that you are using via the Control Points property
- Animating Kernel->Light Linking now work when rendering animations with Object Motion Blur enabled
- Animating Octane Near Clip Depth (and other Octane Camera pins) now work correctly when Camera Motion Blur is enabled
- Mesh Items parented to on-the-fly converted Modo Lights will now update correctly with the light visibility is changed
- Change mouse-wheel scrolling to be more consistent in the percentage that is zoomed when the rendered image is smaller than the viewport panel
- Added the Add Material Pins button to the Octane Mesh properties. This adds any Material In pins from the ORBX file to the Proxy Mesh schematic node, so you can specify the Octane material in the Schematic. This Mesh item must be on a Schematic Workspace, and that Workspace must be selected and visible.
- Added the Reload Material Each Frame checkbox to the Octane Override. If enabled, when the Modo frame number is changed when rendering an animation in Octane or scrubbing the timeline, this material will be reloaded (so it can be animated).
- octane.importLiveDb now supports importing materials with Gradient nodes
- Compiled with Octane 2019.1.4
- The Particle Id of the source mesh of an instance now has it's Particle Id loaded into the Octane Scatter node.
- Added limits (0.0 to 30.0m) to the Mesh item Curve Radius so stop an Octane crash
- Fixed issue where Enum and Greyscale Color input nodes were not being created for OSL Textures
- The "Save Render" button now allows the Alt key to be pressed in order to save all render passes (incl the Beauty pass) as discrete files
- Added the Volume Gradient and Volume Medium nodes from Octane Standalone, and Medium nodes can now be plugged into Octane Overrides in order to more easily setup the Octane material for Volumes
- Added support for material picking of Volumes
- EXPERIMENTAL: Added the octane.importLiveDb which uses the Octane Standalone LiveDb window to select and load materials as Octane Overrides. Importing LocalDb and LiveDb materials with Octane Gradient nodes is not currently working correctly.
- Compiled with Octane 2019.1.1
- Animating the Film Offset and Aperture now works correctly if Camera Motion Blur is enabled
- Fixed a number of issues causing Octane Log errors with Composite and Layer materials and the Vertex Displacement Mixer.
- Changed the Material Picker to catch the right mouse click, which popups a list of all the materials under the cursor, which the user can select from. NOTE: Emitter Materials from on-the-fly lights are not pickable
- Fixed issue where Toon Directional Lights were not working
- Other minor bug fixes
- Compiled with Octane 2019.1
- Changed the Mesh item property "Reload Mesh Each Frame When Animating" to "Reload Mesh Each Frame", which when enabled now reloads the mesh when scrubbing the timeline.
- Fixed a number of minor issues with Modo properties/channels not matching Octane nodes
- Added Copy/Paste to the OSL camera.
- Revised button naming and help text for all OSL nodes (ie. OSL Camera, Vectron, etc)
- Fixed issue where some of the Octane node creation buttons were not visible (problem introduced in 2019.1.0.150)
- Compiled with Octane 2019.1 RC5
- Fixed the Material Picker not working correctly in some situations
- Fixed error with connecting node to the Composite Material
- Added Preferences option "Display Error On Invalid Pin Connection" to suppress the error dialogs resulting from making invalid pin connections in the schematic
- Added Copy and Paste buttons for OSL Texture, OLS Projection and Vectron nodes
- The plugin will now check if there is a new version available. This check occurs once per day.
- Adding an Octane Override now results in a neater Schematic node layout
- Resolved bug with Object Motion Blur on Replicators. NOTE: Object Motion Blur on Replicators only works if there are the same number of Replicator source transforms for every frame. So particle sources will not render with Object Motion Blur (so use octane.saveAnimation and render in Octane Standalone in this case).
- Added Kernel->Animation->Refresh Replicators When Scrubbing The Timeline. If particle sources are used for Replicators, then the Replicator transforms cannot be loaded into the Octane Scatter node. In this case, tick this option if you want the Replicator transforms to be reloaded into Octane everytime you change the Modo timeline.
- Compiled with Octane 2019.1 RC3
- Added Vertex Motion Blur support. To enable this, use Kernel->Animation->Camera and Object Motion Blur ON, Kernel->Settings->Use Modo Render Cache ON, Modo->Camera->Motion Blur->OFF, Kernal->Animation->Use Modo Shutter Speed OFF and manully set the Shutter Speed
- Fixed bug where certain OCIO settings were preventing the Project and UV Map pins being set with on-the-fly material conversion
- Added support for Modo Image Sequences in Octane Overrides. To use this, drag the image sequence clip into the Octane Override schematic panel, and then connect the "pattern" chanenl to the Image node filename pin
- Fixed a bug associated with the on-the-fly conversion of Physically Based Modo Materials
- Compiled with Octane 2019.1 XB2
- Rigged values can now be entered into many of the Environment and Camera properties
- Fixed issue where the Universal material Index pins where not being imported when using the octane.importLocalDb command
- Fixed issue where the Denoiser render passes and some of the Lighting render passes could not be viewed
- The Environment texturemap now has the Modo colorspace applied
- Removed the Viewport Navigation button, since the changes made in 2018.1.3.145 make this feature redundant
- EXPERIMENTAL: The render no longer stops when changing from having 2 Octane Viewports open (ie. the OctaneRender layout and the Octane Viewport floating window) to 1
- Added the String Value Octane node
- Added support to the on-the-fly conversion of Modo Area Lights with an image in the Light Color effect. If the Alpha Channel of the image is "Use" and the image has an alpha channel, it will be applied to the emitter. If the Light Material has a color and the Blend Mode is Multiply, this color will be multiplied with the image
- Added 5 new Material Layer nodes from Octane 2019.1
- Added the Vertex Displacement node from Octane 2019.1
- Added Layered, Composite and Shadow Catcher material nodes from Octane 2019.1
- Added the Round Edges node from Octane 2019.1. Any previous Octane version Rounded Edge Radius settings on material will be lost
- Added Layer pins to the Diffuse, Glossy, Specular, Metallic and Universal material nodes
- Added the Round Edges node from Octane 2019.1. The on-the-fly material conversion now uses the Round Edges "Accurate" mode, so there is no longer a need to tick Weld Vertices on the mesh to render round edges.
- Added new Kernel pins Affect Roughness and Max Subdivision Level from Octane 2019.1
- Added Affect Roughness and Max Subdivision Level to the Kernel settings as Octane 2019.1