We have made many improvements since XB0 and we're happy to bring you XB1 of 2022.1.
We're also releasing XB1 for MacOS, but as mentioned previously, please be aware that there are some known render regressions we are working on. Also, at the moment it is not possible to use CUDA render nodes with MacOS standalone.
The MacOS builds below will only work correctly on MacOS12 and Apple GPUs.
Edit (5/5/22): We are aware of at least one driver issue on MacOS 12.0.1, which causes a complete crash to reboot. We recommend you to use the latest stable MacOS 12.
As with all experimental builds, we advise to not use this release for production purposes. We are trying to, but we can't guarantee that scenes saved with this version will be compatible in future releases.
Changes since 2022.1 XB 0
- Added an option to toggle bump/normal mapping for the ambient occlusion AOV.
- Compositing for output AOVs will now happen on the GPU - this is much faster but uses more GPU memory and can be turned off in device preferences.
- Added more to the Procedural effects texture node:
- Blaschke product
- Fire emitter
- Fractal 3
- Sun surface
- Added unary Vectron operators, Clip and Offset.
- Added binary Vectron operators Ink, Inset, and Intersect.
- Added Bounds, Radius and Transfer material to Vectron Subtract node.
- Added Bounds to Vectron Union node.
- Added Vectron domain operator node.
- Added a compression rate setting to the batch render job.
- Added new texture nodes to generate fields: Angular field, Planar field, Shape field, Spherical field
- Added Vectron primitives: Box, Capsule, Cylinder, Prism, Sphere, Torus, Tube
- Added a "Unit volume" geometry node
- Added additional Length and Normalize vector operators to the Unary math operation texture node
- Added utility nodes for float, int and bool primitive values in the Values category: Float to int, Int to float, Lookat to transform, Boolean logic operator, Float relational operator, Int relational operator, Binary math operation, Unary math operation, Range, Rotate, Float merger, Float component picker, Float if, Int merger, Int component picker, Int if
- Updated the volume import preferences to support loading of grids that are not assigned to a specific use case (like scatter, absorption, etc.) yet. Standard volume mediums can select these grids by name on a per-medium-instance basis.
- Lua API: in saveImage3, saveRenderPass3, saveRenderPasses3 and saveRenderPassesMultiExr3 the exrCompressionType argument is replaced with
the formatOptions argument which accepts a table with options. A numeric value is still interpreted as a compression type.
- Added a "Legacy blend mode" alpha operation and a force pre-multiply opacity pin to the composite AOV layer node.
- Added Instance position projection node.
- Added a "no shading" option to clipping material.
- Image nodes now have a Border mode for U and V separately.
- Volume to texture node can now read 3-channel VDB grids.
- The Read VDB node can now access VDB grids by name.
- Prevent the power input of a texture (when it is used as a normal map) being evaluated as a normal.
- Version conversion to the new single scatter factor input on medium nodes is more accurate.
- Modified the Standard surface SSS implementation to avoid the confusion in forward anisotropy changing the observed albedo.
- Added light linking to toon shading for toon lights.
- Implemented single scatter events in volumes.
- Removed legacy emission pin from emission nodes and goes back to their old behavior.
- Tangent normal now always shows the shading normal with bump/normal mapping applied.
- Added diffuse transmission thin wall option to universal material.
- Improved performance of hair rendering, which is now faster and uses less memory, and behaves correctly when animated.
- Added real-time mode (lightning button on render viewport). In this mode, if possible, the film buffer is never moved between the host and the device. This means that compositing has to be done on the GPU, and it also enables a "real-time" display, which will display rendered images faster. These features require more VRAM to be available. It does not have a large effect on MacOS because Apple GPUs have Unified Memory.
- Added ability to choose premultiplied alpha for EXR files saved by batch rendering script or batch render job.
- Added voxel interpolation settings to Standard volume medium including nearest-neighbor, trilinear and tricubic.
- The Mesh volume node now works with Standard volume mediums.
- Standard volume medium channels now support color data (except for the temperature channel).
- Added support for the 'Channel' emission mode to Standard volume medium.
- Experimental support for photon mapping in medium and volumes.
- Added native ACES tone mapping without the need for OCIO.
- Increase maximum photon depth to 256 for pure specular materials
- Cinema4D noises are now available in all plugins.
- Increased the maximum framerate of various animation scripts to 1000 fps.
- Improved spacing of tonemap intervals near start of rendering.
- Added fake shadow and refract alpha to Standard surface material.
- Enabled the denoiser for the Photon tracing kernel.
- Fixed possible crash while loading a new project.
- Fixed scene file color space being ignored sometimes.
- Fixed random walk SSS seams when using nested dielectrics.
- Fixed a crash when trying to use the Edit menu when using Octane UI via a plugin.
- Fixed an issue where a material with subsurface scattering and fake shadows enabled renders too dark, when it is inside another material with fake shadows enabled.
- Fixed render hang when using the baking camera with displacement triangles.
- Fixed a crash while opening certain scenes that were created in an older version.
- Fixed a crash when deleting an input to a Vectron node.
- Fixed crash when loading Vectron sample scene.
- Fixed Vectron rendering issues when size pin is disconnected.
- Fixed handling of transforms when using Vectron transforms in a texture shader.
- Fixed transforms sometimes being applied more than once to a Vectron node.
- Fixed an issue when copy-pasting a geometric primitive.
- Map range output AOV node will now allow the output minimum value to be higher than the output maximum value.
- Fixed transparent border around render region when using the info channels kernel.
- Fix artefacts in Z-depth front pass where multiple volumes are close to each other.
- Fixed missing tooltips in windows created by plugins.
- Fixed the node search box appearing behind the node graph editor window when created by the plugin.
- Fixed rendering black pixels when light opacity or general opacity is 0.
- Fixed universal material transmission type not updating correctly for back faces if material layers are used.
- Fixed universal material too bright when metallic green or blue channels are above 0.
- Track frame rate and optionally show it in the render viewport status bar.
- Fixed a crash when you delete a volumetric light that is connected to a render target, when rendering has already started.
- Fixed incorrect starting frames when using batch rendering.
- Fixed clipping material casting a shadow when light general visibility is not 1.
- Fixed standard surface subsurface layer (without specular) breaking when used on multiple meshes.
- Fixed accurate rounded edges rendering incorrectly on Turing devices.
- Fixed glossy material inside glass rendering incorrectly with nested dielectrics.
- Fixed motion blur for USD geometry.
- Fixed USD animation not working on a copied USD geometry archive.
- Fixed a crash loading USD scenes with curves.
- Fixed unnecessary geometry re-processing times when switching between universal camera nodes, if you use vertex displacement and the texture has inputs outside the root of the texture node tree.
- Fixed vertex displacement on Ampere devices.
- Fixed smooth terminator not working with multiple toon, quad, or sphere lights.
- Fixed net rendering with AI light update causing tile seam artefacts.
- Fixed crash when a material/object layer map node has a scatter on surface as input.
- Fixed crash of net render nodes if the scene uses MLT and info AOVs.
- Fixed broken render passes export UI after previously saving deep EXR when deep image is no longer enabled.
- Fixed incorrect subsampling of shadow passes.
- Fixed a composite AOV bug where changing layer opacity caused incorrect results.
- Fixed render jobs only working once sometimes.
- Fixed scene updates when changes are made with Cryptomatte AOV being tonemapped in the background.
- Fixed artefacts in cryptomatte passes if using net render and render region.
- Fixed crash when a user instance ID cryptomatte AOV is being saved.
- Fixed a missing pin when loading an Alembic file.
- Fixed blend mode alpha operation of composite output AOV node which was causing blending operations to produce an incorrect result.
- Fixed AI light update making scenes heavy on emitting primitives very slow.
- Fixed render failure when using too many scatter on surface.
- Fixed white square in the viewport on Linux in some situations.
- Fixed light linking through transparency surfaces giving unexpected results.
- Fixed FBX geometry normals.
- Fixed render failure when using a texture with Sample pos. to UV projection for vertex displacement.
- Fixed render failure when using clay mode and mix material together.
- Fixed incorrect focus on input linker when "Show in graph editor" is selected for a material node that is connected to a scene node graph.
- Fixed emission with "visible on diffuse" disabled not working with universal material coating.
- Fixed loading of FBX images with relative paths.
- Fixed skeletal animation not working if a joint node is not animated.
- Fixed net render crash caused by AI light.
- Fixed image exposure settings being ignored on image and color output AOVs.
- OSL: Fixed value for P if a Vectron node is created from a Volume to texture node.
- OSL: Fix possible crash when using a constructor to assign a struct variable
- Add an input for photon rays to the ray switch node, and support raytype("photon") in OSL
- OSL: textures can now create texture inputs that are evaluated as normals. This is achieved by declaring the input as a
normalin the OSL shader, and adding the
[[ string widget = "color"metadata.
Downloads for Enterprise subscription users:
OctaneRender Enterprise 2022.1 XB1 for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Enterprise 2022.1 XB1 for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Enterprise 2022.1 XB1 for Linux
Octane X Enterprise 2022.1 XB1 for MacOS
OctaneRender Enterprise 2022.1 XB1 Node Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Enterprise 2022.1 XB1 Node for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Enterprise 2022.1 XB1 Node for Linux
Octane X Enterprise 2022.1 XB1 Node for MacOS - coming soon
Downloads for Studio subscription users:
OctaneRender Studio 2022.1 XB1 for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Studio 2022.1 XB1 for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Studio 2022.1 XB1 for Linux
Octane X Studio 2022.1 XB1 for MacOS
Your OTOY team