We are happy to share a new release candidate of Octane 2020.1. This means that this release contains all features planned for the stable build once it is released but we may still go through more iterations to solve any issues as required. Please be aware this is still not a stable release so please do not use this for production purposes.
This release includes a number of bug fixes and improvements including most of what has been reported by you in previous builds. There are still some outstanding issues that could not make it to this release but we are making good progress and they should be coming in the next release. Thank you all for your support.
Should you find any issues with this release please report using this thread so we can make sure we provide you with the best feedback.
Make sure to use a NVIDIA Studio driver with version at least 435.80 for Windows or 435.12 for Linux to enable support for RTX hardware acceleration. There are no OSX drivers that currently support RTX.
2020.1 RC3 has superseded this build.
Changes since OctaneRender 2020.1 RC1:
- Performance improvement when using fast rounded edges with RTX geometry.
- Make the ground in the Hosek daylight model dark when the sun is down.
- Added sun intensity parameter to daylight and planetary environments.
- Added opacity pin to shadow catcher material.
- Fixed scenario in which geometry processed using RTX would be displayed in the wrong order.
- Fixed scenario in which mediums would be not displayed correctly when mixing RTX and non-RTX primitives.
- Fixed wireframe info pass with RTX on.
- Fixed resolution lock when using DPI scaling.
- Fixed slider and value bounds on the "fov" and "focal length" camera nodes.
- Fixed inability to use extra UV sets with media.
- Fixed issue causing planes to not to be displayed when they are the only objects in the scene.
- Fixed issue causing info passes to get stuck at sample zero.
- Fixed a bug where enabling shadow pass makes the main render pass's surfaces a lot brighter.
- Fixed broken undo after replacing a node with some scripted node graphs.
- Fixed incorrect import of some Alembic data using vertex attributes.
- Fixed an issue with double-sided surface when using mix material, where the backface and the frontface should have its surface shaded equivalently.
- Fixed illegal memory access happening during scene compilation with meshes producing very large vertex buffers.
- Fixed issue that caused geometry that is on an inactive render layer to become visible behind a surface with a specular material with "affects alpha" on.
- Fixed some scenarios producing wrong results due to alpha sampling not properly working with multiple layers inside a mix material.
- Fixed artifacts with vertex displacement when the geometry has no UV and projection type is set to mesh UV.
- The FBX library is not bundled as a dynamic library anymore.
- Replaced button acronyms by actual names in the controls preferences dialog.
- Change the category of sphere and quad light nodes to "Sphere light" and "Quad light" respectively.
Downloads for Enterprise subscription users:
OctaneRender Enterprise 2020.1 RC2 Standalone for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Enterprise 2020.1 RC2 Standalone for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Enterprise 2020.1 RC2 Standalone for Linux
OctaneRender Enterprise 2020.1 RC2 Standalone for OSX
OctaneRender Enterprise 2020.1 RC2 Slave for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Enterprise 2020.1 RC2 Slave for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Enterprise 2020.1 RC2 Slave for Linux
OctaneRender Enterprise 2020.1 RC2 Slave for MacOS
Downloads for Studio subscription users:
OctaneRender Studio 2020.1 RC2 Standalone for Windows (installer)
OctaneRender Studio 2020.1 RC2 Standalone for Windows (ZIP archive)
OctaneRender Studio 2020.1 RC2 Standalone for Linux
OctaneRender Studio 2020.1 RC2 Standalone for OSX
Your OTOY NZ team