OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB1

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB1
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB1

Postby Notiusweb » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:59 pm

Notiusweb Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:59 pm
This is a more generic glitch I am finding:
Scenes loaded or copied into 2019 XB1 that were created 2018 sometimes will not have loaded Specular, Roughness, or Metallic materials loaded in.
I say sometimes because sometimes it does work and they are loaded in, other times not. Have not identified a pattern so far. For example I can load a scene and it will not have the roughness texture, values, and settings loaded in.
Then I will immediately open again as a new scene and it will have them.

I'll save these scenes as a new version inside of 2019, and then report back if the same thing still happens.
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
User avatar
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:51 am

Re: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB1

Postby linograndiotoy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:07 pm

linograndiotoy Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:07 pm
Notiusweb wrote:This is a more generic glitch I am finding:
Scenes loaded or copied into 2019 XB1 that were created 2018 sometimes will not have loaded Specular, Roughness, or Metallic materials loaded in.
I say sometimes because sometimes it does work and they are loaded in, other times not. Have not identified a pattern so far. For example I can load a scene and it will not have the roughness texture, values, and settings loaded in.
Then I will immediately open again as a new scene and it will have them.

I'll save these scenes as a new version inside of 2019, and then report back if the same thing still happens.


I think it's probably too early to report issues. 2019 XB1 still needs a lot of work. It's good for exploring the new features but we can expect several issues, crashes and limitations that will be solved in future builds.
Last edited by linograndiotoy on Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:10 pm

Re: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB1

Postby Notiusweb » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:42 pm

Notiusweb Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:42 pm
linograndiotoy wrote:
Notiusweb wrote:This is a more generic glitch I am finding:
Scenes loaded or copied into 2019 XB1 that were created 2018 sometimes will not have loaded Specular, Roughness, or Metallic materials loaded in.
I say sometimes because sometimes it does work and they are loaded in, other times not. Have not identified a pattern so far. For example I can load a scene and it will not have the roughness texture, values, and settings loaded in.
Then I will immediately open again as a new scene and it will have them.

I'll save these scenes as a new version inside of 2019, and then report back if the same thing still happens.


I think it's probably to early to report issues. 2019 XB1 still needs a lot of work. It's good for exploring the new features but we can expect several issues, crashes and limitations that will be solved in future builds.


Yeah, but I want it fixed NOW :twisted:
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
User avatar
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:51 am

Re: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB1

Postby wallace » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:50 pm

wallace Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:50 pm
Notiusweb wrote:So, in summary:
1 - Universal w/Specular + Transmission gives artifacts, and
2 - the 2019 Denoiser is more prone to showcasing these artifacts than 2018 Denoiser was.
3 - Layered Material offers ways avoiding the artifacts, which will bypass the 2019 Denoiser's tendancy to showcase them

** I personally feel like the 2019 Denoiser is almost too heavy with the blurring, but whatever, I can slide the Blend to what I like.
I do prefer the way the 2018 one kept detail in situations I have come across thus far, but I admit have not done any volume stuff really.... Thus, the 'value-add' of an improved volume denoising, to me, is just a heavier blur that takes away more detail. And AI is not going to fix this, it just does the denoising as it was told to do given the scene I am rendering. It will not figure out a better way to denoise it after successive restart of the render.


Universal material's transmission was equivalent to Specular transmission (think specular material), it never was diffuse transmission.

I have added an option for you to specify Universal material's transmission to be Diffuse transmission, you simply select "Lambertian" in the "Transmission Mode" option under Transmission Layer inside Universal material.
User avatar
wallace
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:38 pm

Re: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB1

Postby wallace » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:53 pm

wallace Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:53 pm
funk wrote:I'm just loading some of my previous bug reports into 2019 and noticed this scene looks completely different:
viewtopic.php?p=358812#p358812

2019_vs_2018_medium.png


Investigating this problem currently, I noticed it already while fixing it in 2018.1.

I'll let you know once I have found out what the issue is.
User avatar
wallace
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:38 pm

Re: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB1

Postby Notiusweb » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:46 pm

Notiusweb Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:46 pm
wallace wrote:
Universal material's transmission was equivalent to Specular transmission (think specular material), it never was diffuse transmission.

I have added an option for you to specify Universal material's transmission to be Diffuse transmission, you simply select "Lambertian" in the "Transmission Mode" option under Transmission Layer inside Universal material.


OH!!! This is a big deal for me, I am testing and works great! :o
Not only is there the layered option to use, but a more versatile Universal!
THX!!!!
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
User avatar
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:51 am

Re: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB1

Postby wallace » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:04 pm

wallace Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:04 pm
Notiusweb wrote:OH!!! This is a big deal for me, I am testing and works great! :o
Not only is there the layered option to use, but a more versatile Universal!
THX!!!!


Glad it's helpful, let me know if there're any more issues.
User avatar
wallace
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:38 pm

Re: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB1

Postby vijay_thirukonda » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:11 pm

vijay_thirukonda Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:11 pm
galleon27 wrote:There is an issue with vertex displacement. It acts differently on different file formats. Both renders use the same material.
The model was exported from Houdini.


Thanks for the bug report. Could you please send me the scene for testing?.
vijay_thirukonda
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:42 pm

Re: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB1

Postby vijay_thirukonda » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:15 pm

vijay_thirukonda Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:15 pm
funk wrote:The vertex displacement "mid level" doesnt seem to be working correctly.

Im applying a displacement to a sphere, and it works fine with the old texture displacement using mid level 0.5.

The new vertex displacement mid level shift the sphere towards one side (almost like I'm move the sphere)

Select the "mat1 default" material group and swap between the new and old displacement

NOTE: If you set mid level to 0 on both displacement nodes, the sphere matches (no position shift)



Thanks for the bug report. I'll look into it,
vijay_thirukonda
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:42 pm

Re: OctaneRender™ 2019.1 XB1

Postby linograndiotoy » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:34 pm

linograndiotoy Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:34 pm
Notiusweb wrote:
linograndiotoy wrote:
Notiusweb wrote:This is a more generic glitch I am finding:
Scenes loaded or copied into 2019 XB1 that were created 2018 sometimes will not have loaded Specular, Roughness, or Metallic materials loaded in.
I say sometimes because sometimes it does work and they are loaded in, other times not. Have not identified a pattern so far. For example I can load a scene and it will not have the roughness texture, values, and settings loaded in.
Then I will immediately open again as a new scene and it will have them.

I'll save these scenes as a new version inside of 2019, and then report back if the same thing still happens.


I think it's probably to early to report issues. 2019 XB1 still needs a lot of work. It's good for exploring the new features but we can expect several issues, crashes and limitations that will be solved in future builds.


Yeah, but I want it fixed NOW :twisted:



Ahahaha....oh, me too! :D
linograndiotoy
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:10 pm
PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:17 pm [ UTC ]