Since the release of the first experimental build of V4, we have addressed many issues and updated essential systems for plugins to operate. We would therefore like to make the second experimental release of V4, to our customers with V3 licences as a preview.
For introductory material on V4, please see the first release post of V4.
As with all experimental and test releases, please do not use this build for production work, and please note that we still classify this as an experimental release. We cannot guarantee that scenes saved with this version would be compatible with future releases.
- NVIDIA Driver version 387 or higher is required on Windows and Linux, and any CUDA driver for Mac should work that supports CUDA 8.0.
- Octane no longer supports Fermi GPUs.
- We are still working through a lot of changes required to make Network Render operational. This is directly related to AI Scene and AI Light.
- AI Denoiser will not denoise volumes and hairs yet.
Changes since OctaneRender V4 XB1
All changes up to and including those made in 3.08.1 are relevant, as well as the following changes specific to V4:
- Added tiling and multi-GPU support for the AI Denoiser. You can now denoise any resolution up to Octane's maximum, and the Denoiser will consume less memory per device (approximately 450MB per device maximum).
- Updated denoiser AI to be more accurate on recent render pass changes.
- Gained back 90% of the performance we lost due to adding out of core geometry.
- Added Planetary Environment node, which is a flexible Nishita Sky model.
- Fixed a significant and unnecessary VRAM allocation that applied to all meshes.
- Fixed some unnecessary reallocations by the Denoiser.
- Added Universal Material node. Please note that this node is likely to change in the next few releases.
- Fixed slowdown/crash scenario when running out of VRAM while using the Denoiser.
- Fixed some displacement artefacts when using Volta GPUs.
- Fixed a crash in some scenes where there are invalid geometry.
- Fixed a crash that happened when mixing animated scene changes and manual changes to placement and scatter nodes.
- Fixed a crash when changing the number of entries in a scatter node.
- Fixed a possible crash when disabling the AI Denoiser.
- Fixed denoiser pass when using hot pixel filter.
- Fixed denoiser crashes on processors that do not support AVX.
- Improved responsiveness while caching meshes
- Fixed multiple crashes when scrubbing the timeline with a skinned mesh.
- Fixed two AI Light render failures.
- Fixed AI Light processing happening more than once when not necessary.
- Fixed light CDF not being rebuilt sometimes.
- Improve VRAM management and consumption.
- Fixed multiple crashes when using out of core meshes.
- Fixed skinned mesh animation sometimes losing motion blur information.
- Fixed render failures when rendering meshes that have invalid primitives, this happened often when scrubbing the timeline on vertex animations and skinned mesh animations.
- Fixed render failures when making changes in scenes that have displacement primitives, hairs, or spheres.
- Fixed emission being ignored when adding emission nodes to existing materials.
- Improved performance of AI Light.
- Fixed motion blur sometimes incorrectly using an older frame.
- Denoise on completion is now default.
- Fixed an incorrect render when switching between render targets in certain cases.
- Fixed a bug where some diffuse contribution was added into the transmission pass.
- Fixed a bug where some black pixels appear in some render passes.
- Fixed some artefacts on hairs if vertices were duplicated by mistake.
- Fixed Batch render script.
Downloads for users with a regular license
regular version for Windows (installer)
regular version for Windows (ZIP archive)
regular version for Mac OS X (DMG image)
regular version for Linux (ZIP archive)
Downloads for users with a subscription license
subscription version for Windows (installer)
subscription version for Windows (ZIP archive)
subscription version for Mac OS X (DMG image)
subscription version for Linux (ZIP archive)