First of all, apologies for the delayed release and for the lack of communication on the forums. It wasn't planned, but we had to sort out various important problems in Octane and its ecosystem (still not finished for OSX and Linux yet) and this took a lot longer than we hoped for
With this release we should be back to the normal release schedule. We are trying to wrap up this development cycle as quickly as possible. In parallel we also have been working on (hopefully) exciting new features. More about these soon.
This build fixes a whole suite of bugs and adds various improvements. We are still working through a couple of problems on OSX and Linux, but hope to be able to release 3.08 RC 1 for OSX and Linux this week, too. And last but not least, the offline licensing mode is disabled in this version, but will be available again in the stable version.
For an overview of all new features of 3.08, please read the new features thread.
All changes since version 3.08 TEST 6:
- Added support for Volta. Since we have to use CUDA toolkit 9.1 for that, you may have to update your graphics driver.
- Added a light direction pass which estimates the direction from where most of the light is coming.
- Added an irradiance beauty pass.
- Added pin "Irradiance mode" to the direct lighting, path tracing and PMC kernel nodes, which works similar to clay mode, but is only applied to the first bounce, disables bump and makes samples that are blocked by back faces transparent. (In case you are wondering: This is required for baking in Unity).
- Added 5 volume passes which record properties of volumes, the environment medium and specular materials with IOR of 1 and transmission of 1. These will not be recorded in the SSS anymore, allowing you to compose volume passes on top of the residual surfaces passes (like Diffuse, Reflection, etc.):
- Volume mask: Records all absorption of volumetric media up to the first (surface/volume) bounce. It needs to be multiplied with the sum of all surface passes.
- Volume: Records all contributions of scattering media excluding the emission. Needs to be added to the product of the volume mask and surface passes.
- Volume emission: Records all emission of volumetric media up to the first (surface/volume) bounce. Needs to be added to the product of the volume mask and surface passes.
- Volume Z-depth front: Records the start of the Z-depth interval of volumes up to the first bounce.
- Volume Z-depth back: Records the end of the Z-depth interval of volumes up to the first bounce.
- Added wavelength dependendent IOR for to the metallic material. There are now three different modes you can choose from:
- Artistic: Ignores the IOR settings and uses the Schlick approximation to calculate the Fresnel term. The specular color is rendered as it is specified in the pin "Specular color".
- IOR + color: Uses the (complex) IOR specified in the pin "Index of refraction" to calculate the reflection of the material and applies only the tint of the specular color channel.
- RGB IOR: Uses the three complex IOR input values (which correspond to 650nm, 550nm, 450nm wavelengths) to approximate the reflective spectrum of the metal.
- Added sheen to the glossy and the metallic material nodes.
- Added support for the 2nd and 3rd UV channels in displacement mapping.
- Added meta tags to allow OSL shaders to explicitly set up the default projection type for projection inputs (see "Point inputs" in https://docs.otoy.com/osl/input%20types/index.html).
- Added pin "Displacement direction" to the displacement node which allows you to choose which displacement vectors should be used.
- Added an OSL baking camera node (required for the Unity plugin, see "Using the baking camera" https://docs.otoy.com/osl/camera/index.html).
- Improved accuracy of Fresnel of the metallic meterial.
- Improved the RGB to spectrum conversion, which slightly reduces the noise for highly saturated RGB colours (especially when used in scattering / absorption media).
- Various improvements of the OSL and Lues editors in the Standalone, like asking for a reload when the code in a node item got changed or showing the name of the currently edited node item.
- The progress bar while loading Alembic files shows now the actual progress.
- Delayed the ORC authentication to avoid that the Octane startup hangs for several seconds.
- Disabled ORC integration in net render slave builds (causing weird logging messages).
- Replaced the DPI settings of the material preview with an object size you can specify directly.
- Trying to improve displacement mapping in various corner cases and to improve handling of degenerated UV triangles in displacement.
- Fixed normal orientation of displaced triangles if the UV map is mirrored.
- Fixed missing GI clamp of beauty render passes.
- Fixed ignored toon lights which were connected with an object layer map node.
- Fixed vertically flipped order in the instance colour texture node.
- Fixed incorrect evaluation of mix textures in the normal channel.
- Fixed sampling of the Ward BRDF.
- Fixed incorrect rendering of gradient texture with a control point set at 1.0.
- Fixed tangent vector calculation on sphere primitives.
- Fixed corner cases in metallic reflection with IOR set to (0, 0i).
- Fixed various issues of OSL over network rendering.
- Fixed OSL
pow()function for a negative base and integer exponents.
- Fixed type casts from OSL
int, which was rounding instead of truncating and which happened in some (random) circumstances.
- Fixed the default projection for procedural texture nodes to use world space (as in 3.07).
- Fixed loading of bool input values of OSL shaders from OCS files.
- Fixed appearance of integer OSL inputs without any bounds (no slider is shown in that case).
- Fixed OSL shaders with array inputs.
- Fixed default colours of the triplanar texture inputs.
- Fixed the object space mode of texture projections.
- Fixed switch between material node types to not copy over roughness between diffuse and glossy/specular/metallic materials.
- Fixed kernel failure when a preview of an unconnected material linker is rendered.
- Fixed a crash when you try to use the gizmos in a scene with a baking camera.
- Fixed missing toon light linker nodes.
- Fixed issue that would cause LiveDB thumbnails to not to be downloaded in some cases.
- Fixed crash while loading Alembic files with curves and incosistent width information.
- Fixed (rare) crash in
- Lua: Added option
octane.PROPS_RENDER_START.restartwhich allows a Lua script to define if
octane.render.startshould restart or continue rendering. Until now it was always restarting.
- Lua: Added
octane.package.getFileList()to determine the complete list of all files stored in an ORBX package.
Downloads for users with a regular license
regular version for Windows (installer)
regular version for Windows (ZIP archive)
regular version for Mac OS X (DMG image) - coming soon
regular version for Linux (ZIP archive) - coming soon
Downloads for users with a subscription license
subscription version for Windows (installer)
subscription version for Windows (ZIP archive)
subscription version for Mac OS X (DMG image) - coming soon
subscription version for Linux (ZIP archive) - coming soon
Your OTOY NZ Team