OctaneRender™ 2020.1 RC2 [superseded by 2020.1 RC3]

Forums: OctaneRender™ 2020.1 RC2 [superseded by 2020.1 RC3]
A forum where development builds are posted for testing by the community.
Forum rules
NOTE: The software in this forum is not %100 reliable, they are development builds and are meant for testing by experienced octane users. If you are a new octane user, we recommend to use the current stable release from the 'Commercial Product News & Releases' forum.

Re: OctaneRender™ 2020.1 RC2 [latest 2020.1.x]

Postby wallace » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:51 pm

wallace Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:51 pm
funk wrote:BUG: Diffuse material emission with a specular material layer not working as expected.

If you have a diffuse material with emission, adding a specular material layer (thin layer), stops the emission color from showing, even when the layer has opacity.

1. Load the ocs and right click > render the diffuse material
2. Unplug/plug in the specular layer a few times to see the difference
3. Plug the specular layer in, and set layer opacity to 0.

When the specular layer is disconnected, the material looks red from the emission.
When the specular layer is connect the material looks dark. I would just expect the material to look red, with a clearcoat on top.
If you drag the layer opacity from 1 to 0, I would expect more of the red to start showing up, instead the material is black.

NOTE: It works as expected using a universal material with built in coating.

EDIT: After playing around with this more, I found it works if you set the diffuse material transmission to white. You dont need to do this with the universal material + coating though, so I still think this may be a bug (especially with layer opacity set to 0).

This is an importance sampling issue, if you increase the diffuse reflection color to non zero, you will see emission.

I can see this can be improved to work more like universal material however, so I'll fix this and put it in the next version.
wallace
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby wallace » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:49 pm

wallace Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:49 pm
funk wrote:I just want to be sure this doesn't get missed. I reported it in the RC1 thread, but it happens in RC2 as well:
viewtopic.php?p=378656#p378656 (has an orbx attached)

There seems to be a regression in 2020 which causes more noise in glass

Hi funk,

Glad to report back we have looked deeper into this issue and found the underlying problem.

A fix will be in place for next version.
wallace
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby roeland » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:32 am

roeland Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:32 am
Notiusweb wrote:Hey Otoy team -
With Groom Hair, is there a way that an import setting could be added to adjust the default hair strand length?
We have width, would be awesome if we could adjust length in the ABC settings!!!!

THX!

An Alembic export will bake your Groom Hair strands to a fixed geometry, after that you can't really make them longer or shorter anymore.

The width will also be loaded from the Alembic file if the exporter writes it, but since this is optional you can specify a value for those files where it is not written.
roeland
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby Notiusweb » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:44 am

Notiusweb Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:44 am
roeland wrote:
With Groom Hair, is there a way that an import setting could be added to adjust the default hair strand length?
We have width, would be awesome if we could adjust length in the ABC settings!!!!

THX!

An Alembic export will bake your Groom Hair strands to a fixed geometry, after that you can't really make them longer or shorter anymore.

The width will also be loaded from the Alembic file if the exporter writes it, but since this is optional you can specify a value for those files where it is not written.

No, but then make one of those things for the length too.
Because it's just pulling in an integer and then Octane allows you to override it...that's what makes the width optional.
Like the width sometimes comes in way way too thin at like a 0.00001 value or something, but then in the Octane ABC settings I can override it to 0.1, giving me the thickness.

So, make a strand length override thing.
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby funk » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:30 am

funk Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:30 am
Thanks Wallace!
Win10 Pro/ Ryzen 5950X / 128GB / RTX 4090 / MODO
"I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live" - Jesus Christ
funk
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby mojave » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:37 am

mojave Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:37 am
tobydalsgaard wrote:Bug:

Slave machine fails when Z-Depth is selected in render passes.

Tried a few different scenes, tried every sample mode and image format. Disabled all other passes one at a time. It was narrowed down to the Z-Depth causing the issue.

Not sure how to get a more elaborate view of what is failing on the slave, please let me know and I can provide that as well.

Hi tobydalsgaard,

I have tried to reproduce the issue you describe but had no luck. Could you share via PM your specific master/slave drivers, HW and device/out-of-core settings. Also any scene even if it seems trivial that can be used to show the issue may be of help.

Thank you.
mojave
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby galleon27 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:52 am

galleon27 Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:52 am
Notiusweb wrote:
roeland wrote:

THX!

Because it's just pulling in an integer and then Octane allows you to override it...that's what makes the width optional.
Like the width sometimes comes in way way too thin at like a 0.00001 value or something, but then in the Octane ABC settings I can override it to 0.1, giving me the thickness.

I don't think it works like that. A width attribute is a float value. Length attribute would be editing the position (vector) of the points which you cannot do as the geometry is fixed. Length attribute is not a float value. It is just a slider in your dedicated DCC that alters the position of points.
Win 10 64bit // GTX 4090 + GTX 3090 // 5900x // 64GB // SideFX Houdini // C4D
galleon27
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Notiusweb » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:48 pm

Notiusweb Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:48 pm
galleon27 wrote:
Notiusweb wrote:
roeland wrote:

I don't think it works like that. A width attribute is a float value. Length attribute would be editing the position (vector) of the points which you cannot do as the geometry is fixed. Length attribute is not a float value. It is just a slider in your dedicated DCC that alters the position of points.

So then what am I supposed to do?
Just go back into the host app and adjust the length and export out another new length ABC file????
THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!!!!

(I gotcha, thx.)
Win 10 Pro 64, Xeon E5-2687W v2 (8x 3.40GHz), G.Skill 64 GB DDR3-2400, ASRock X79 Extreme 11
Mobo: 1 Titan RTX, 1 Titan Xp
External: 6 Titan X Pascal, 2 GTX Titan X
Plugs: Enterprise
Notiusweb
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby vijay » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:56 pm

vijay Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:56 pm
grimm wrote:I'm seeing an issue with the denoiser when combined with upscaling and volumes. The denoiser doesn't denoise the edges of the volume with upscaling enabled.

Jason

Hi Jason,

I'm gonna look at into this issue. Could you please send me a sample scene?. Thanks
vijay
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby karl » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:21 pm

karl Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:21 pm
funk wrote:I also reported this in the RC1 thread. Octane is rendering this HDRI incorrectly.
viewtopic.php?p=377892#p377892 (orbx attached to that post)

This is currently a limitation of Octane's HDR texture support - values are clamped to 65504 which is the maximum value of a half-float. We plan to support full 32-bit float HDR textures in a future version.
karl
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

PreviousNext

Return to Development Build Releases