Sky Dome (...not Visible Environment)

Forums: Sky Dome (...not Visible Environment)
Blender (Export script developed by yoyoz; Integrated Plugin developed by JimStar)

Sky Dome (...not Visible Environment)

Postby Whispermode » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:53 pm

Whispermode Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:53 pm
Octane Environment and Visible Environment are great for sky backgrounds, but have their limits with animation, because they are tied to the camera position.

...i.e. if you dolly or track, the whole world moves with you. Which looks crazy.

So... I've created a sphere (Sky Dome) around the scene, and textured it with an HDRI through an emission node to get the same background, and all stays still regardless of camera move. Perfect, but with one problem: It blocks out all other environment light, and Octane Daylight.

This does work pretty well as an environment on its own, but it creates a lot more noise, so I'm trying to optimise...

Question: Is it possible to make the sphere transparent, so it lets environment/Daylight through, has no effect on the scene, but still shows as a backplate?

Thanks.
Whispermode
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Sky Dome (...not Visible Environment)

Postby ChrisH » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:40 pm

ChrisH Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:40 pm
You can set the Opacity of the Diffuse material/node to 0 and then enable "Transparent Emission" on the Emission node
Windows 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 2100X 8 core 3.70GHz - 32GB RAM - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Octane Prime - Blender Plugin user

Metal IOR values for Octane (with .blend library): https://chris.hindefjord.se/resources/rgb-ior-metals/
ChrisH
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby J.C » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:57 pm

J.C Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:57 pm
Whispermode wrote:
Question: Is it possible to make the sphere transparent, so it lets environment/Daylight through, has no effect on the scene, but still shows as a backplate?

Thanks.

I did similar setup a few times. I used render layers. One layer with scene and on the other there was sky only. Composed both in AE afterwards.
CPU – i9 13900KF, 128GB RAM, GPU – RTX 4090
System – Windows 11
My Behance portfolio, Blender plugin FB support group
J.C
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Whispermode » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:06 am

Whispermode Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:06 am
ChrisH wrote:You can set the Opacity of the Diffuse material/node to 0 and then enable "Transparent Emission" on the Emission node

Interesting. I'll give this a try. Thanks, Chris.
Whispermode
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Whispermode » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:07 am

Whispermode Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:07 am
J.C wrote:
Whispermode wrote:

Thanks.

I did similar setup a few times. I used render layers. One layer with scene and on the other there was sky only. Composed both in AE afterwards.

Thanks, J.C - this makes sense. I'll give it a go after Chris's suggestion.
Whispermode
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Whispermode » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:40 pm

Whispermode Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:40 pm
Whispermode wrote:
ChrisH wrote:You can set the Opacity of the Diffuse material/node to 0 and then enable "Transparent Emission" on the Emission node

Interesting. I'll give this a try. Thanks, Chris.

Chris - I couldn't get this to work, but solved it with the Raytype OSL with some pointers from a MODO thread. Setup looks like this:

Sky Dome with Raytype.JPG

...no idea what it's doing, but it works.

I'm still interested in your version, though...
Whispermode
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ChrisH » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:21 pm

ChrisH Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:21 pm
I think I misread your question the first time.

You can see what I meant in my first answer see the attached screen shot.

If you just want it as a backdrop you can try to disable "Shadow Visibility" on the Sphere in the Object Data settings (This should work fine with opacity at 1 etc):
Octane_ShadowVis.png

Then it won't obstruct the environment light. But NB: When you do this the "environment" (like the sky) won't be visible in reflections, but the light (the sun) will be.

If you want to have the HDRi visible in the reflections and refraction you have to have "Visible on Specular" enabled on the Emission node.
Attachments
Octane_TransEmit.png
Windows 10 Pro - AMD Ryzen 7 2100X 8 core 3.70GHz - 32GB RAM - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Octane Prime - Blender Plugin user

Metal IOR values for Octane (with .blend library): https://chris.hindefjord.se/resources/rgb-ior-metals/
ChrisH
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Blender