Octane plugins and OctaneRender are digitally signed, which ensures that the binary is legitimate and has not been corrupted or modified (I.e. it's safe to install and use).
This should not affect the installation or usage of our software, but there might be some issues in some cases, that should be easy to fix.
The error "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file..." (example below) can be caused by a number of factors, including:
- The installer was corrupted during download (Try re-downloading the installer).
- (Win 7 only): Your system has not been updated to support SHA-256 signatures, please follow the steps below to update your system:
1) Download and install the Windows 7 SP1 update utility from Microsoft here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... px?id=5842
2) Download and install Security Update KB3033929 from Microsoft here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=46148
- The installer/application has been modified after download (This can be an indication of a virus on the machine)
- Windows defender and/or other Anti-Virus programs may not recognize our certificate as 'trusted', so you may need to Install a certificate manually.
To check if our certificate is recognized by Windows, or to install it, you can right click on the installer file (eg: OctaneRender_for_3ds_Max_3.08-RC1_-_5.02.exe),
and open the tab 'Digital Signatures'. You should see "OTOY, Inc." as Name of signer.
Click on the Details button, (it should display 'This digital signature is OK.')
The 'View Certificate' allows you to install this certificate manually.