activation license pre23 and Internet?

Forums: activation license pre23 and Internet?
VIP Information, news and announcements regarding new Octane Render commercial products and releases.

activation license pre23 and Internet?

Postby chris_solo » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:59 pm

chris_solo Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:59 pm
Hello I'm registered for version pre23 to get my ID and my password (in the login of the home page),
so when I start Octane render, I noticed that when the window of dialog appears to put them, so after it says it can't to connect to the server?
my computer should it necessarily have an internet connection to be able to run pre23 Octane render?
how to make this version works on my machine?

and so, is there a slightly more detailed documentation that came with version 22B?

thank you for your reply
chris_solo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: activation license pre23 and Internet?

Postby radiance » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:28 pm

radiance Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:28 pm
Hi,

The 2.3 versions require an internet connection to be used.
It has been announced in the customer news forums since a few weeks, before we released the first pre 2.3 test releases.

If you are using a firewall, simply allow the application to access the server live1.refractivesoftware.com (note that there will be more servers coming with next releases, so please read release notes, these are not production releases, we cannot guarantee they will work for you, please use 2.2b for production work)

We are working on a new manual (completely new) for 2.3 which is at approx 75% finished and is much more complete, and has pdf bookmarks etc...

Radiance
Win 7 x64 & ubuntu | 2x GTX480 | Quad 2.66GHz | 8GB
radiance

Postby chris_solo » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:51 pm

chris_solo Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:51 pm
Hi Radiance :)

thank you for your quick and accurate reply,
I totally understand the reasons for the activation system but I hope that in future we will activate his license without being connected to the internet ... like other software providers that do this (Pixologic for example).
I'm in that situation because I was no network card in my pc and I decided not to have a connection because of virus and other problems ...and so I don't know much about hardware or computer problems and therefore it limits the probleem for me ;)
to make the internet I have a laptop pc that enough for me.
I hope that for the v1.0 stable version (which will replace the pre2.3) will have this system activation.

I'm a little disappointed because I really liked about the new features of new materials and other, because in 22b is available as three matéraiux (diffuse, glossy ..) and it's hard to create materials ... or so I really miss clues about it.

Another question: I bought a version of during your special offer (49euros), he must repay a supplement to have version v1.0?

thanks for your reply ;)
chris_solo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:48 pm

radiance Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:48 pm
Hi,

you get all the 1.x versions for your purchase.

you should simply hook up your machine to your internet connection and put a cheap linksys or dlink 30 euro router between the internet cable and your machine.
configure the firewall (it should be documented with your router), just switch it on and allow outgoing traffic to live1.octanerender.com and deny everything else.

that will give you access to octanelive, but no internet access, no viruses or any other security issues.

I understand a few people have an issue with our decision but when you'll see what octanelive really is in 2-3 months you'll never want to go back, trust me on that.

Yours,
Radiance
radiance

Postby chris_solo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:20 pm

chris_solo Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:20 pm
Hi Radiance,
thank you for your answer, another question:
What octanelive?

+
Chris
chris_solo
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:53 pm

radiance Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:53 pm
chris_solo wrote:Hi Radiance,
thank you for your answer, another question:
What octanelive?

+
Chris

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3095

and sharing materials with your friends and other customers, drag and drop, and much other things ;)
octanelive is the backend 'service' that does all this, and is fully free for customers of octanerender.

Radiance
radiance

Postby dave62 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:17 am

dave62 Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:17 am
"I understand a few people have an issue with our decision but when you'll see what octanelive really is in 2-3 months you'll never want to go back, trust me on that."

Please overthink the decision, that the final release will only work with an existing internet connection. There are a lot of places on earth without any available connection!
There are a lot of ways to protect your software, eg using dongles or just standard activation as it was the in the versions before pre23.
If i had known that before, i am not shure about my decision about purchasing octane.
PLEASE, PLEASE make a possibility to use it offline. ->no connection means no rendering. .."use a cellphone with bluetooth... not alot bandwith" ... got to be a bad joke:( its totaly absurd that you need a connection for rendering!? If your interenet is broke, you cant work anymore. -i really cant believe that , must be the first of april.

If its your final decision to go that way, please add a big big hint for everyone before purchasing: "you have to be online to use that software".
Please, some dongle... anything, but this way..is no way.

thx dave:(
- Mint 10 64bit nvidia drv 260.19.29/cudatoolkit3.0 intel q6600, 4gbRAM, GTX470 1,2GB
- Mint 10 64bit/ Win7 64bit nvidia drv 260.19.29/cudatoolkit3.2 amd X6, 16gbRAM, 2x GTX580 3GB
->Octane 2.44/ Blender2.5x
dave62
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby radiance » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:25 am

radiance Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:25 am
In the sixties banks used one large IBM system and many terminals over international networks for financial transactions, even in many poorer countries.

Just as a reference, if you want to understand the future you have to analyse the past and present.

Radiance
radiance

Postby Jaberwocky » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:46 am

Jaberwocky Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:46 am
I personaly have no problem with a link to a permanant internet connection for rendering.However as i have a good stable broadband line that isn't going anyware then i may be in the minority.However Dave does have one valid point.It should be made clear that this is one of a minimum set of system requirements on the home page in order to run the software along with use of only Nvidia cards and the current Nvidia Driver version for prospective purchasers of the software.Very much like Ubisofts requirements clearly labled on the front of Assassins Creed 2 - PC Game software that require that game can only be run on machines with an internet connection.Especially at the moment where the demo lags behind the latest Beta and does not need an internet connection to operate.
CPU:-AMD 1055T 6 core, Motherboard:-Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 AM3+, Gigabyte GTX 460-1GB, RAM:-8GB Kingston hyper X Genesis DDR3 1600Mhz D/Ch, Hard Disk:-500GB samsung F3 , OS:-Win7 64bit
Jaberwocky
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby dave62 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:06 am

dave62 Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:06 am
In the sixties banks used one large IBM system and many terminals over international networks for financial transactions, even in many poorer countries.

Just as a reference, if you want to understand the future you have to analyse the past and present.

i have no clue what this has to do with your licensing system?
in the 21st century there are several other copy-protection ways wich are much customerfriendly!

would you buy a screwdriver wich works only when light is switched on?

dave

edit: dont get me wrong, this a great piece of software you made!
This is just some constructive criticism to make octane better (or even usefull to me and maybe some others) and i think at this stage its still possible to make changes.
Life could be easy, lets make it complicated. but why?
I thought autodsk would do so with their licensingsystem, but radiance and the posse..hmm
Sometimes hightech seems to mean: solve easy things the most complex way you can imagine...
- Mint 10 64bit nvidia drv 260.19.29/cudatoolkit3.0 intel q6600, 4gbRAM, GTX470 1,2GB
- Mint 10 64bit/ Win7 64bit nvidia drv 260.19.29/cudatoolkit3.2 amd X6, 16gbRAM, 2x GTX580 3GB
->Octane 2.44/ Blender2.5x
dave62
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Next

Return to Commercial Product News & Releases (Download here)