Octane 2019 For Unreal Engine: First Public Beta + Free tier

Forums: Octane 2019 For Unreal Engine: First Public Beta + Free tier
Sub forum for plugin releases

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Re: Octane 2019 For Unreal Engine: First Public Beta + Free tier

Postby paride4331 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:54 am

paride4331 Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:54 am
adamnerva wrote:
ChrisHekman wrote:For this licence its important to note that you get Enterprise access for the selected plugin.
The all-access part gives you Studio access for the other plugins.


Unfortunately, now I am even further confused. As the attached screenshot shows, I am not given any option to choose a selected plugin. So I am guessing that I can only have more than 2 GPU on the existing octane 4 DCC plugins that I already owned, blender and modo?
This is just too complicated and convoluted. And the linked FAQ doesn't help at all. Going to pass on octane for now, but thanks for trying to help.


Hi damnerva,
All-acess annual extension is assigned to one license, It does not matter whether you are using Bleder or Modo.
Regards
Paride
Win 7 / i7 5930 - 32gb / 1 x quadro K620 / 2 x Evga Titan X Hybrid
User avatar
paride4331
Octane Guru
Octane Guru
 
Posts: 2678
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:19 am

Re: Octane 2019 For Unreal Engine: First Public Beta + Free tier

Postby agentinfinity » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:34 am

agentinfinity Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:34 am
Hi,
First of all, excellent plugin. Doesn't feel like a beta release at all.
Some feedback
a) Glass materials seem to have an issue.
This is with the window glass object set to visible inside the editor
Image
And this is with the window visibility turned off. (Notice the sunlight.)
Image
Side note : 10/10 material conversion. All the materials in that are just your basic starter content materials.

b) Substance materials in the scene make the whole thing crash. But you've already got feedback on that. I was just wondering if it's because the materials are unsupported or some other reason. If they are unsupported, any chance they will be in a future update?

c) Displacement materials don't seem to work. Just renders as a flat plane. Like so
Image
agentinfinity
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:41 am

Re: Octane 2019 For Unreal Engine: First Public Beta + Free tier

Postby bepeg4d » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:10 pm

bepeg4d Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:10 pm
Hi,
about glass, in Octane you need to enable the Fake Shadow option in the Specular material, but you also have to add thickness to your glass (1cm or less), or it reacts like a magnifying lens.
If you don’t want to add thickness to your glass, you can use a dark Glossy material, with Falloff node in Opacity.
There should be an example in LiveDB called Architectural Fake Glass, or something similar.
ciao Beppe
User avatar
bepeg4d
Octane Guru
Octane Guru
 
Posts: 6685
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:02 am
Location: Italy

Re: Octane 2019 For Unreal Engine: First Public Beta + Free tier

Postby ChrisHekman » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:16 pm

ChrisHekman Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:16 pm
agentinfinity wrote:Hi,
First of all, excellent plugin. Doesn't feel like a beta release at all.

Thanks :)

agentinfinity wrote:Some feedback
a) Glass materials seem to have an issue.

There are some issues with converting translucent materials as they have a bunch of quirks that we have to approximate.
The new build will have a few fixes that might fix this issue, but for now we advice using the octane materials for glass and translucent materials.

Would it be possible to share your scene with us? So that I can check what is going wrong?

agentinfinity wrote:b) Substance materials in the scene make the whole thing crash. But you've already got feedback on that. I was just wondering if it's because the materials are unsupported or some other reason. If they are unsupported, any chance they will be in a future update?

The crash was because the material conversion was making an assumption about 2D textures that wasnt true when substance texture are used in a material.
Substance is using texture formats that are an issue at the moment. We are working on supporting it.

agentinfinity wrote:c) Displacement materials don't seem to work. Just renders as a flat plane. Like so

The problem is that the displacement nodes do not support OSL as an input. Im checking if it is possible to use OSL with vertex displacement.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: Octane 2019 For Unreal Engine: First Public Beta + Free tier

Postby agentinfinity » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:11 am

agentinfinity Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:11 am
ChrisHekman wrote:There are some issues with converting translucent materials as they have a bunch of quirks that we have to approximate.
The new build will have a few fixes that might fix this issue, but for now we advice using the octane materials for glass and translucent materials.
Would it be possible to share your scene with us? So that I can check what is going wrong?

Good tip. I'll try that. Also my internet has been really slow the last week so I don't think I can upload the project. But the glass mesh had width less than 1cm if that's what you were interested in.

ChrisHekman wrote:The crash was because the material conversion was making an assumption about 2D textures that wasnt true when substance texture are used in a material.
Substance is using texture formats that are an issue at the moment. We are working on supporting it.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it might have had something to do with the non-default behavior of substance materials.

ChrisHekman wrote:The problem is that the displacement nodes do not support OSL as an input. Im checking if it is possible to use OSL with vertex displacement.

Ah I see. Well thanks for the updates. Appreciate it. Looking forward to the next few releases.

Cheers :D
agentinfinity
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:41 am

Re: Octane 2019 For Unreal Engine: First Public Beta + Free tier

Postby agentinfinity » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:14 am

agentinfinity Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:14 am
bepeg4d wrote:Hi,
about glass, in Octane you need to enable the Fake Shadow option in the Specular material, but you also have to add thickness to your glass (1cm or less), or it reacts like a magnifying lens.
If you don’t want to add thickness to your glass, you can use a dark Glossy material, with Falloff node in Opacity.
There should be an example in LiveDB called Architectural Fake Glass, or something similar.
ciao Beppe

The glass mesh does have thickness. Turns out it's a material conversion issue. But I'll check out the example you said. Always good to know.

Cheers :D
agentinfinity
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:41 am

Re: Octane 2019 For Unreal Engine: First Public Beta + Free tier

Postby twobee13 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:16 pm

twobee13 Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:16 pm
Its amazing, but octane doesnt support atmospheric fog or ExponentialHeightFog in unreal . Fog is so important for render. Is there any solution for this problem if dont use vdb fog ?
twobee13
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Re: Octane 2019 For Unreal Engine: First Public Beta + Free tier

Postby viktor.spadi » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:56 pm

viktor.spadi Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:56 pm
Hey All,

fist of all, very nice integration into Unreal Engine!
Was playing around with it quite a while now.

Is there any chance, that you guys expose the GUI/Settings APIS to Blurprint functions?
I would love to set some settings via blueprints or save the rendered image data to other render targets for further use.
This would absolutly expand the possible use cases (expecialy with scripting) for power users (like for unreal studio and architecture visualisation)

Greetings
Viktor
viktor.spadi
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:47 am

Re: Octane 2019 For Unreal Engine: First Public Beta + Free tier

Postby ChrisHekman » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:25 pm

ChrisHekman Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:25 pm
Is there any chance, that you guys expose the GUI/Settings APIS to Blurprint functions?
I would love to set some settings via blueprints or save the rendered image data to other render targets for further use.
This would absolutly expand the possible use cases (expecialy with scripting) for power users (like for unreal studio and architecture visualisation)


Blueprint API is something we defeinitly want to implement and is on the timeline.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team
 
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Re: Octane 2019 For Unreal Engine: First Public Beta + Free tier

Postby elcy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:20 pm

elcy Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:20 pm
Hi,
I have test Octane with an Unreal scene, and it's gorgious and stable, thanks !
However, I have the same problem than ''jonathantsay'' but i export my ORBX from Modo.
When I try to slide the ORBX file in the window, it show me only the ORender icon.
It's the same things with an ORBX from the Standalone.
But when I click the ORBX file in the Content Browser, I don't see the Nodegraph of OR, but the material graph of Unreal.
Is it clear ...?
Thanks for your answer ... Patrice
elcy
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:32 pm
PreviousNext

Return to Releases


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:04 pm [ UTC ]