User custom shaders bug is...

Forums: User custom shaders bug is...
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

User custom shaders bug is...

Postby adamnerva » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:50 pm

adamnerva Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:50 pm
the biggest issue with the Octane plugin for Unity right now. I am building out a render test scene, but every time I come back to it, all of my custom shaders are wiped.

And for me, the second biggest issue would be poor conversion of the Unity standard shader (no tiling, no detail textures, no gloss maps, etc), and so custom user shaders are an absolute necessity for every surface, not just special cases.
adamnerva
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: User custom shaders bug is...

Postby Goldorak » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:42 pm

Goldorak Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:42 pm
adamnerva wrote:the biggest issue with the Octane plugin for Unity right now. I am building out a render test scene, but every time I come back to it, all of my custom shaders are wiped.

And for me, the second biggest issue would be poor conversion of the Unity standard shader (no tiling, no detail textures, no gloss maps, etc), and so custom user shaders are an absolute necessity for every surface, not just special cases.

Good feedback. Converting standard shaders (or standard specular shaders) should work with detail textures (this specifically added in Octane to handle Unity assets). Gloss map is just an inverse roughness map and this too should work. We'll look into both of these issues ourselves, but any specific scene data you could share might help isolate what is going on more quickly.

Custom shaders created in Unity are still a WIP as we figure out where this goes in the spectrum from std. Unity material auto-conversion -> pure ORBX material importing. Even so, anything we expose as values the Unity Editor panels should work, so if that's broken it's a bug we should track and fix ASAP.
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby adamnerva » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:25 am

adamnerva Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:25 am
Yes, a gloss map is an inverse roughness map. In Unity they are packed into the alpha channel of the metalness map. In Octane for Unity, they don't render at all.

As for the detail maps, only the detail albedo renders, detail normal maps do not render.

As for custom user shaders, they are not saved between octane sessions. They get wiped.
adamnerva
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby matt87 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:42 pm

matt87 Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:42 pm
Agree with OP. Really wanted to try out a recent 360 project I did in Unity. Was very impressed with the Otoy samples, so couldn't wait to try it. Was disappointed pretty quickly:

- No terrain shading
- No speedtree integration
- Tiling broken (no one tested that before release, really?)
- Only Standard Shader supported
- Not really clear how to achieve simple but important effects (atmosphere etc)

Was really interested to see my project rendered in 360 by octane, but if I have to go through the entire scene and switch all my shaders around, then figure out all the problems I'd already solved in the first place (lighting, custom water, terrain shading), then not sure why I would bother? I could just do that in Maya or Max. Don't want to sound harsh, but this really doesn't feel like a integration, more of a bolt on. Understand it is very early days but one of the biggest flaws with this idea is that so many people use custom shaders/solutions for complex problems - water, terrain etc- I really can't see how you guys can "convert" peoples scenes to work with Octane on the fly.

I always hoped the idea behind this would be to add greater visual fidelity to existing Unity scenes, but it actually seems like you'd need to start from scratch with Octane always in mind and make all your decisions based on what would work with it.
matt87

Postby ChrisHekman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:02 am

ChrisHekman Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:02 am
adamnerva wrote:Yes, a gloss map is an inverse roughness map. In Unity they are packed into the alpha channel of the metalness map. In Octane for Unity, they don't render at all.

As for the detail maps, only the detail albedo renders, detail normal maps do not render.

As for custom user shaders, they are not saved between octane sessions. They get wiped.

I looked into the custom user shader issue. Part of the saving mechanism was removed in the latest T1 sdk. Ill see if we can get it back in asap.
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby jakzun » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:55 pm

jakzun Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:55 pm
"... it actually seems like you'd need to start from scratch with Octane always in mind and make all your decisions based on what would work with it."

i'm cool with that - thanks for the heads up - it needs to be added to the manual/tuts - as well as making it CLEAR you must be online for Octane to work

i'm getting my first renders and i'm wildly excited by the possibilities - tho', 7.5 minutes per frame is rough - i need to do some tweaks, obviously

i salute this effort and i will support them and i am grateful we will one day have this for Unity - and, WORKING

so, i know all your feedback has been invaluable - let us see if if makes a difference
jakzun

Postby Glader » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:12 pm

Glader Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:12 pm
ChrisHekman wrote:I looked into the custom user shader issue. Part of the saving mechanism was removed in the latest T1 sdk. Ill see if we can get it back in asap.

Any update on this? Pretty important to be able to persist created octane materials between loads.
Glader
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Goldorak » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:16 pm

Goldorak Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:16 pm
Glader wrote:
ChrisHekman wrote:I looked into the custom user shader issue. Part of the saving mechanism was removed in the latest T1 sdk. Ill see if we can get it back in asap.

Any update on this? Pretty important to be able to persist created octane materials between loads.

We're working on this now!
Goldorak
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Return to Octane for Unity