Viewport & fbx materials compatibility / shader override

Forums: Viewport & fbx materials compatibility / shader override
Sub forum for feature requests etc

Moderator: JimStar

Viewport & fbx materials compatibility / shader override

Postby ivankio » Sun May 15, 2016 7:34 am

ivankio Sun May 15, 2016 7:34 am
Working with archviz, I have 3 big problems with Octane (besides the non-mayan plugs) that I wish for improvement:
1. maya like triangulation: the need to triangulate my geometry every time I'll do a render then revert the triangulation to continue working on clean geometry is a hassle.
2. viewport material appearance when working and making changes (specially transparency for windows)
3. exporting materials with plugged textures and color parameters for other packages

The thing is: Octane renders are never the only output of my projects. Specially now with VR. Often I send the project to Unity or Unreal. But exporting FBXes with Octane Materials they go all gray. It's hard to manage that. I wish the FBX could go plugged with the basics parameters like blinns that even embed textures on the FBX.

The best thing would be a WYSIWYG viewport shader for the Octane Material, but I get that materials are kinda like oranges and apples between different renderers.
So a reasonable workaround Vray and mentalray have for a long time are "material overrides" in the shading group or the materials (kinda like Octane's current approach to camera settings in Maya). I can have a material that Maya handles well (like blinn or even a shaderFX) plugged in the regular surface shader, and I plug the 3dparty shader for the renderer as an override in the attributes of the shading group or material. This way we would stay less miserable when someone would request modifications to the projects and be able to iterate faster.
octane_vrayMtlOverride.jpg
GTX 1080 8gb, GTX 970 4gb, I5 4590, Z97-E, 32gb RAM, Win 10 64bits, Octane for Maya
ivankio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Viewport & fbx materials compatibility / shader override

Postby calus » Sun May 15, 2016 10:05 am

calus Sun May 15, 2016 10:05 am
ivankio wrote:1. maya like triangulation: the need to triangulate my geometry every time I'll do a render then revert the triangulation to continue working on clean geometry is a hassle.

Not sure what is your use-case here (Nurbs, triangulation winding order, smooth mesh preview, subdiv crease ?)
But actually for every type of geometry, the Maya tesselation is very easily accessible for plugins,
and I never understood either, why it was not used by the octane plugin. :?
E.G : For smooth preview, the Maya tesselation is just the outSmoothMesh attribute of the mesh node...

ivankio wrote:2. viewport material appearance when working and making changes (specially transparency for windows)

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=52995
In the meantime, you can use this script.
It adds to the octane materials a "hardware Shader" attribute where you can plug a Maya shader to override the display in viewport 2.0.
(Though, it doesn't solve your issue for export)
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby ivankio » Sun May 15, 2016 6:32 pm

ivankio Sun May 15, 2016 6:32 pm
The triangulation of concave polygons. I have lots of those on walls and some furniture.
octane - triangulation.JPG

Very nice of you sharing that script. Thank you.
GTX 1080 8gb, GTX 970 4gb, I5 4590, Z97-E, 32gb RAM, Win 10 64bits, Octane for Maya
ivankio
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby calus » Sun May 15, 2016 7:03 pm

calus Sun May 15, 2016 7:03 pm
Right, concave n-gon are not supported by the Octane renderer.
The plugin use its internal obj exporter, not a very smart exporter ... :?
(Ngon are not tesselated)
But actually when the plugin use alembic to export geometry, concave ngon are supported !! :D

So for rendering, maybe the plugin should also use his alembic exporter instead of his obj exporter.
This would solve the ngon issue but also subdiv with crease :mrgreen: !

Anyway there's a lot of of room for improvement, I bet Kai will make it a lot smarter.
Pascal ANDRE
calus
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to User Requests