OctaneRender™ 3.0 for Houdini™ beta build 3.00.14.0

Forums: OctaneRender™ 3.0 for Houdini™ beta build 3.00.14.0
Sub forum for plugin releases

Moderator: juanjgon

OctaneRender™ 3.0 for Houdini™ beta build 3.00.14.0

Postby juanjgon » Thu May 19, 2016 11:40 am

juanjgon Thu May 19, 2016 11:40 am
Hi,

This is a new beta release of the OctaneRender™ 3.0 for Houdini™ plugin. This 3.00.14.0 build is available for the Houdini 13.0/14.0/15.0/15.5 last production builds for Windows x64, Linux gcc4.8 and OSX 10.10

Alpha and beta version disclaimer
In contrast to v2 we want to do the alpha and beta testing publicly, to get more feedback earlier and to have changes tested more thoroughly. The plan is to let all users with a valid v2 license use the v3 alpha and beta versions until we decide that the beta period has ended and we release the first stable v3. After that you will have to upgrade to v3 or will not be able to use any v3 versions (including alpha and beta versions) anymore.

This is a beta release, so please consider this more a test or development release which may not be stable enough for a production environment.

Beta release 3.00.14.0
https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloa ... _Win64.zip
https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloa ... _Linux.zip
https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloa ... ni_OSX.zip

Standalone version for the network rendering nodes
https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloa ... _3_win.exe
https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloa ... _macos.dmg
https://render.otoy.com/customerdownloa ... _linux.zip

New features of OctaneRender™ 3.00
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=51679

Documentation (not updated with the new Octane 3 features yet)
http://render.otoy.com/manuals/Houdini/

=============================================
RELEASE 3.00.14.0
=============================================

* NEW PLUGIN FEATURES:

- New feature to build an scalar grid from the vector magnitude of a set of vector components grids. This magnitude grid can be used as absorption, scattering or emission.

* PLUGIN BUGS FIXED:
- Volume attribute OCTANE API MSG: Tried to access attribute via invalid ID A_VOLUME_VELOCITY_OFFSET_START error fixed.
- Crash if Houdini can't open the plugin log file. Fixed.

* OCTANE BUGS FIXED:
- Reverts the change made in beta 1 to allow deeper texture trees to fix the excessive memory usage by the kernel contexts (unavailable memory was very high).
- Fixed various issues with the new authentication system.
- Fixed emission on displacement triangles.
- Fixed partial geometry updates on net render slaves, which was crashing slave kernels when triangles with multiple UVs were used and partially updated.
- Fixed shutter time not getting updated sometimes when changing FPS in time controls.
- Fixed baking camera when no UV geometry is available.
- Added support for rendering backfaces when using baking position with baking camera.
- Fixed crash when you enable an info pass while rendering PMC (see viewtopic.php?p=273892#p273892 ).
- Crash during subdivision surface calculation of subdivision level 1.
- Fixed kernel crash when a deep image file is saved.
- Fixed incorrect mapping of 2nd or 3rd UV set on displacement triangles.
- Prohibiting the multiple downloads of the same material from the LiveDB.
- Fixed saving of the SSO license and credentials file in user folders with non-ASCII characters in the path.
- Various other fixes in the SSO authentication.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Re: OctaneRender™ 3.0 for Houdini™ beta build 3.00.14.0

Postby dinf » Fri May 20, 2016 10:35 am

dinf Fri May 20, 2016 10:35 am
Hi Juanjo,

thanks for the 15.5 update! Coming from C4D/Octane, this lets me now work with Houdini Indie and Octane and the new volumetrics of 3 beta.
Exciting, and a totally new workflow to me, after exporting VDBs to Cinema.
Hope I'm right here to write, seems to be a bit empty :) Be pleased to move if I'm totally wrong here.

Making a few fast tests I have som issues. Probably you can help, that would be great.
- When starting a new scene, simply a grid and a sphere with texture lighting, no materials, sphere and grid are mostely in a strong pink color. This isn't always. Is this due to not having any materials assigned? After that materials will show - mostely as well. Had some seconds when pink came back.
- Since there is OctaneC4D and Standalone 2.x and 3.x running, Houdini didn't ask for licensing (I think it is, right?). Due to the pink, my first thought was the licensing is in a demo manner, so I tried to deactivate the OctaneH Plugin. While the state of the Button and text stayed as before, saying still "Deactivate", I could see in my licenses online, that both, OctaneH and Standalone, where switching to "deactivated". Strange behavior, seeing that both standalone versions, 2.x and 3.x, also stayed green (connected). Starting a Standalone version switched the online state back to "Deactivate", but the Houdini Plugin Button is still greyed out, while I can render in H with OctaneH 3 beta, without any watermarks, so it is no demo mode.
- Loading the Testscene you made here viewtopic.php?f=101&t=53943#p273335 and opening the IBR lets crash H immediately with an "Fatal error: Segmentation fault". Since I'm very new to Houdini (made a few simulations and exported them, no rendering etc.) I don't know where to put it.
| Win 10 | 64 GB RAM | AMD 5900X | RTX 3080 12 GB| C4D 21| C4Doctane v2022.1.1|
dinf
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Fri May 20, 2016 10:53 am

juanjgon Fri May 20, 2016 10:53 am
Hi! You are right, the pink surface means that the object doesn't have a valid material applied on it. This is a "warning" to see what objects don't have a Octane material yet in a scene. You need to add a material SHOP node and set it in the object.

This scene is too old, from an early beta build. Try the attached one.

-Juanjo
Attachments
octane_explosion.rar
(69.25 KiB) Downloaded 246 times
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby dinf » Fri May 20, 2016 11:01 am

dinf Fri May 20, 2016 11:01 am
Hey Juanjo,

you are answering fast, thanks :)

juanjgon wrote:Hi! You are right, the pink surface means that the object doesn't have a valid material applied on it. This is a "warning" to see what objects don't have a Octane material yet in a scene. You need to add a material SHOP node and set it in the object.

Good to know that it is meant this way, thanks. Yes, as written above, after adding a valid material the pink disappeared. But it did also for a short while before, that made me unsure

This scene is too old, from an early beta build. Try the attached one.

Oh, hey great, thanks, works fine now!

And do I have to make minds about that licensing thing?
dinf
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Fri May 20, 2016 11:08 am

juanjgon Fri May 20, 2016 11:08 am
The Houdini "Deactivate" button will be removed in the future. With the new licensing system it is not useful anymore. The license is activated when you launch Houdini, and is deactivated when you leave it.

-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby dinf » Fri May 20, 2016 11:47 am

dinf Fri May 20, 2016 11:47 am
OK, thanks, great to hear :)
dinf
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer