Instance vs Scatter

Forums: Instance vs Scatter
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Instance vs Scatter

Postby modjtaba » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:13 pm

modjtaba Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:13 pm
Hi
I have a question about maximum instance count in houdini octane.
10 million scattered objects in octane makes houdini exit even without any crash! is 10 million a top limit???
Thanks
modjtaba
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Instance vs Scatter

Postby juanjgon » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:31 pm

juanjgon Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:31 pm
I can't remember the limits related to the supported number of instances, but perhaps the problem is that you are running out of GPU RAM. Have you tried to enable the out of core feature? This could help. If the plugin crashes, you could enable and check the Octane log file to see if there is some information about the problem on it.

If you are rendering small sphere type particles, you should use the particle rendering feature, that can hold a huge amount of particles, a lot more than using instancing.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby modjtaba » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:55 am

modjtaba Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:55 am
Hi juanjgon
Yes I've enabled out of core and it jumped out again...
modjtaba
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby snakeboxmedia » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:14 am

snakeboxmedia Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:14 am
Make sure your instances are not overlapping!! VERY important and octane doesn't like it.

if you make a small sphere and scatter 1 mill simple objects so they are packed and intersect, octane will crash instantly. if you take the same setup but scale up the sphere until the 1 mill objects do not touch each other, it will render easy and fast. not sure what your setup looks like, but worth keeping in mind.
snakeboxmedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby modjtaba » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:31 am

modjtaba Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:31 am
snakeboxmedia wrote:Make sure your instances are not overlapping!! VERY important and octane doesn't like it.

if you make a small sphere and scatter 1 mill simple objects so they are packed and intersect, octane will crash instantly. if you take the same setup but scale up the sphere until the 1 mill objects do not touch each other, it will render easy and fast. not sure what your setup looks like, but worth keeping in mind.

Then I wont reach simple goals like a dense jungle or trees. will mean we should set octane aside from lots of scenarios ... :|
modjtaba
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:43 am

juanjgon Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:43 am
I've seen Octane crashing with overlapped instances, but only if they are really near full overlapped. I mean thousands of instances near or at the same place. Rendering a dense jungle or trees should not be a problem at all if the instances fit in the available VRAM. As I've said I'm not sure if there is a limit for the number of instances, but I suppose that at least 10M is enough for a jungle ;) ... and perhaps this limit is only in one object. I mean if you configure several instancers probably the number of total instances is limited by the available VRAM only.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby snakeboxmedia » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:09 pm

snakeboxmedia Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:09 pm
modjtaba wrote:
snakeboxmedia wrote:Make sure your instances are not overlapping!! VERY important and octane doesn't like it.

Then I wont reach simple goals like a dense jungle or trees. will mean we should set octane aside from lots of scenarios ... :|

sure you can, I rendered this no problem.

https://vimeo.com/357988108

you just have to setup your instancing correctly.
snakeboxmedia
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seun116_1 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:08 pm

Seun116_1 Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:08 pm
snakeboxmedia wrote:
modjtaba wrote:

sure you can, I rendered this no problem.

https://vimeo.com/357988108

you just have to setup your instancing correctly.

Been using Octane in C4d for a long time and I'm literally brand new to Houdini (like a week). What's the proper way to set up instancing so Octane can handle it? I have a rbd simulation with a lot of falling objects (they're all the same) but I can't render it in octane because the scene exceeds my VRAM (8GB). I'm assuming instancing would help this, but I can find any resource that shows how to set this up in Octane for Houdini. Would love some help!

Thanks!

Seun
Seun116_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:04 pm

juanjgon Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:04 pm
I've just replied to your question in the other post, so we can continue talking about it there.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Return to Houdini