POP multiple Instances

Forums: POP multiple Instances
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

POP multiple Instances

Postby derekhanz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:19 am

derekhanz Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:19 am
Hello,

I have a particle simulation that needs 10 different instances randomly applied to the particles.

How do you apply multiple geo and materials to instances?

thank you

R
derekhanz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: POP multiple Instances

Postby juanjgon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:24 am

juanjgon Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:24 am
Hi,

You can use the "instance" point attribute to set the master object to be used at each point. You have more details in the docs:
https://docs.otoy.com/Houdini_Plugin_Manual_HTML5/HoudiniPluginManual.htm#Houdini/Instancing.htm%3FTocPath%3DHoudini%2520Supported%2520Features%7C_____6

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby derekhanz » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:16 pm

derekhanz Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:16 pm
Yes but how do I randomize materials on these instanced points?

thanks
derekhanz
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:55 am

juanjgon Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:55 am
I'm afraid that currently this is not possible in Octane. The instances materials can't be overridden. You are going to need to have several copies of the same object, each one with one material, and instance them randomly.

At shading level, you have the Random Color VOP, that computes a random value for each instance. Perhaps with this node, you could build a shader with several materials mixed using the material mixer node. This node can also be used with the gradient node and others to render shader variations on each instance.

Hope this helps,
-Juanjo
Attachments
image002938.jpg
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby doca » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:16 pm

doca Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:16 pm
juanjgon wrote:Hi,

You can use the "instance" point attribute to set the master object to be used at each point. You have more details in the docs:
https://docs.otoy.com/Houdini_Plugin_Manual_HTML5/HoudiniPluginManual.htm#Houdini/Instancing.htm%3FTocPath%3DHoudini%2520Supported%2520Features%7C_____6

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Maybe little oftopic question: can I export instanced geometry (on particles, stamped... whatever) in ORBX and render them in standalone? Of course, with animation, not only single frame.
If yes, is it exported as baked geometry or like Octane instances/scatter?
doca
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:49 am

juanjgon Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:49 am
Yes, you can export the animated scene to an .orbx file. You only need to enable the export options in the ROP node and render the scene. The instances will be exported as Octane instances, storing in the .orbx file only the master object and the Octane scatter information.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby doca » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 pm

doca Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 pm
juanjgon wrote:Yes, you can export the animated scene to an .orbx file. You only need to enable the export options in the ROP node and render the scene. The instances will be exported as Octane instances, storing in the .orbx file only the master object and the Octane scatter information.

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Thank you Juanjo,
I managed somehow to export it in orbx and to get scatter nodes in standalone, but other problem occurred, and the problem is that scatter is exported in only one frame, it is static. Everything else has animation, but scatter no. Instances are not moving. Am I doing something wrong or I understand you wrong about scatter animation? I need to preserve point animation over what I do scattering.
doca
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:49 am

juanjgon Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:49 am
Yes, I see. Probably this is a limitation in the scene export functions perhaps related to the fact that the number of particles can be not the same in all the frames, so the object animation at point level is not possible. In this case, the only solution is to export a .orbx file for each frame, but I'm not sure if this is something useful in your workflow.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby doca » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:24 pm

doca Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:24 pm
juanjgon wrote:Yes, I see. Probably this is a limitation in the scene export functions perhaps related to the fact that the number of particles can be not the same in all the frames, so the object animation at point level is not possible. In this case, the only solution is to export a .orbx file for each frame, but I'm not sure if this is something useful in your workflow.

Thanks,
-Juanjo

Damn, but is it possible somehow to export/render sequence of csv files (as we have only csv)?
doca
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:06 am

juanjgon Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:06 am
Hmm, I don't think so. Perhaps writing a script in Houdini to export this kind of files from Houdini could be possible, but not directly from the plugin.

Sorry for the question, but why do you need to export the scenes to Standalone, to render them in a farm or in the cloud? ... I'm afraid that in scenes with changes in the objects topology, export a sequence of .orbx files is the only solution currently.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Next

Return to Houdini