Instancing RBD Object

Forums: Instancing RBD Object
Houdini Integrated Plugin

Moderator: juanjgon

Instancing RBD Object

Postby Seun116_1 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:28 pm

Seun116_1 Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:28 pm
Hi,

So I'm a long time Octane C4d user, so I understand Octane pretty well. I'm just recently getting into Houdini so I'm new to a lot of the way things work together. I have a project where I have like 200+ text objects falling and fracturing using the RBD material fracture node and copytopoints. After I got everything set up and cached, I couldn't render it with motion blur on Octane. I immediately ran out of VRAM and the scene would crash. Is there a way I'm supposed to set up my scene for Octane to render the falling text object as instances? I've been looking online for the past couple days, but I cant seem to find a straight forward demonstration/guide on how to do this. I loaded the scene using Redshift for Houdini and everything worked as it should and rendered with motion blur. I'm a BIG fan of Octane, and I understand it's much different in Houdini than C4d, but I would really love to continue using octane in Houdini and not Redshift. Would really appreciate some help/guidance. Again, I'm completely new to Houdini, so if what I'm asking doesn't make sense, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

Seun
Seun116_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Re: Instancing RBD Object

Postby juanjgon » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:02 pm

juanjgon Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:02 pm
Hi,

Can you please share your scene to take a look at it here? The instancing usually makes no sense in fracturing objects because each piece is unique, so probably the problem is that the scene is becoming too complex to fit in the available VRAM.

Have you enabled the out-of-core feature in the plugin options panel? Now it supports both textures and mesh data out of core rendering, so it could help to render your scene.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seun116_1 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:03 pm

Seun116_1 Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:03 pm
Thank you for the response, Juanjo. What you said about the fracturing objects makes sense. I increased the glue strength on the fracturing objects so they hold together. It seems to load until I preview around 151f when the scene is the heaviest. The crash happens at around 155 samples. I'm on 8gb VRAM and I have out of core enabled (16 gb). It is using some of the out of core RAM but it still ends up crashing.

I've attached the scene below.

Thanks!
Attachments
2020rigid.zip
(174.76 KiB) Downloaded 106 times
Seun116_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby Seun116_1 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:14 am

Seun116_1 Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:14 am
I was doing a little bit more investigating in the project, and I optimized the font node by decreasing the level of detail .5. This seems to have solved the original problem. I'm able to run the IPR with motion blur and render to disk (and it loads much much quicker when I need to reload the scene). I'm still a bit curious why this had to be done for it to run in Octane but Redshift could handle it the way it was originally. Now that I am able to see it with motion blur I notice that the motion blur reveals the cracks on the shatter object before it shatters. Motion blur seems to be the cause because when it's disabled (or decreased) the cracks aren't visible. Wondering if there's a button i'm not hitting for this.
Attachments
withoutmotionblur.jpg
without motion blur
withmotionblur.jpg
with motion blur
Seun116_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:41 pm

juanjgon Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:41 pm
Hi,

Here I can render your scene with a 8GB GPU, as you can see in the attached image. What Octane version are you using? If you work with Octane 2019/2020, the out of core feature should help because now it also supports the rendering of geometry out of core. In any case, I had this feature disabled and the scene fits in my GPU ... the only difference can be that this GPU was not also used for display.

I wonder if the problems with the motion blur could come from the ngons triangulation, that can create non-constant topology among the frames. Have you tried to work with triangles only, triangulating the base objects with the divide sop after fracturing the objects but before running the simulations?

Thanks,
-Juanjo
Attachments
2020_01_07-16_30_16.jpg
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seun116_1 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:36 am

Seun116_1 Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:36 am
Thanks for the response. After about 10 attempts with Cuda Error 2 crashes, it seems to be working now only after I tried to GeForce experience and it updated. It's rendering without out of core. I'm on a 1080 Ti and RTX 2080 (no overclocking on either), on the latest Nvidia driver. I'm also using Octane 2019.1.5.0.

I was also getting "OCTANE API MSG: Tried to access null node pin" in the Houdini console (I don't know what that means).

I tried the divide sop before the sim, but it didn't seem to have any effect on the crack with the motion blur on. I honestly don't know what's wrong, especially with the cuda error 2 happening and now all of a sudden gone.
Attachments
snapshot.jpg
Seun116_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:20 pm

juanjgon Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:20 pm
Are you installing the STUDIO NVidia drivers? The GAME READY drivers don't work fine with Octane. The "Tried to access null node pin" can be related to a wrong node connection or something like that ... these messages usually are not related to crashes or other issues. Can you please share this latest scene with this issue and the motion blur problem?

Thanks,
-Juanjo
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seun116_1 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:02 pm

Seun116_1 Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:02 pm
I'm on the latest studio driver? Should I try rolling back to an earlier one for stability? Still getting infrequent performace, where I'll get the cuda error 2 crash after a couple attempts and then it'll load just fine.

I've attached the latest scene I've worked with below.

Thanks again for the help, juanjo.
Attachments
2020rigid_V2.zip
(174.85 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Seun116_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Postby juanjgon » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:04 pm

juanjgon Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:04 pm
Here I'm using the 441,66 studio drivers. With them, I can render your scene in an 8GB GPU even without enabling the out of core feature.

About your problem with the cracks seams when the motion blur is enabled comes from some kind of issue with the motion "v" velocity point attribute. By default, the plugin computes the deformations motion blur using it, but if it is not available, it tries to compute the motion blur from the mesh deformations directly, something that in your case is possible because the objects have a constant topology. Can you please delete this attribute, as you can see in the attached image? The problems seems resolved when the plugin doesn't use the velocity attribute to compute the motion blur.

Thanks,
-Juanjo
Attachments
2020-01-09 22_59_57-win64-workstation - TeamViewer.jpg
juanjgon
Octane Plugin Developer
Octane Plugin Developer

Postby Seun116_1 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:40 pm

Seun116_1 Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:40 pm
The attribute delete did the trick! Thanks, I'll def. remember that for next time (totally new to Houdini, so that would have never crossed my mind). I don't know what could be going on with rendering the scene, some trys it works and loads for a whole session but then if I re-open the project I get the crash for a while, and then it starts rendering the scene. This project is in the past so it's not really relevant anymore. Next time if I ever run into this, I'll try and optimize the scene as best I can and probably just keep re-trying until it works. Thank's for taking the time to help me work through this! I really appreciate it.
Seun116_1
Licensed Customer
Licensed Customer

Return to Houdini