Issues getting proper Glossiness/Roughness rendering

Forums: Issues getting proper Glossiness/Roughness rendering
A public forum for discussing and asking questions about the Octane for Unity Alpha

Moderator: ChrisHekman

Issues getting proper Glossiness/Roughness rendering

Postby jpetty7317 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:09 pm

jpetty7317 Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:09 pm
Hi all,

As I have mentioned in my previous posts on this forum, our content is never embedded in the scene. It's all pulled from a server and assembled at runtime. Right now I have most everything looking exactly as it should using the Unity Standard shader to be digested by Octane. Except, I'm noticing a horrible difference in our content where Glossiness information in our Metallic Gloss maps doesn't seem to be getting used at all. I see there have been mixed results with Metallic Gloss maps in the past here and I have indeed tried some of the methods suggested like setting Metallic to 1 BEFORE assigning the texture, but to no avail. Interesting thing to note, is I do get proper Metallic Glossiness values when using the Unity Standard Shader sliders. but if there is a map in the Metallic Gloss slot, then I do get proper (non)metallic values, but no Glossiness/Roughness contribution from the Alpha channel contents. I'd like to say the material node graph is setup properly, but we're just not getting anything. I've inserted a few screenshots below to demonstrate what I'm seeing. In each of the first two images, the render on the left is from our internal content validation view, in order to demonstrate how the red leather on the chair should look, as compared to the PBR Viewport in the middle.

Unity v2019.2.5f1
Octane v2019.1.1 (6000101)
Plugin v1.2.0.1377

1) Left: Content Validation, Middle: PBR Viewport, Right: The Alpha channel of the Metallic Gloss map plugged into the Unity Standard Shader

2) Left: Content Validation, Middle PBR Viewport, Right: Unity Standard material inspector showing emprt Metallic Gloss Map slot and slider values set to M - 0.0 and G - 0.8

3) Material Node graphc focusing on the Metallic Gloss map RGB and Alpha Image nodes.
jpetty7317

Re: Issues getting proper Glossiness/Roughness rendering

Postby ChrisHekman » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:18 am

ChrisHekman Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:18 am
I recreated your shader settings, but I am not getting the the same results. Could you share your asset with me?
ChrisHekman
OctaneRender Team
OctaneRender Team

Postby jpetty7317 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:59 pm

jpetty7317 Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:59 pm
Hi there Chris,

I appreciate you offering to take a look. Again, I feel I'm missing something or maybe there is an authoring issue with the map itself? In any case, I have attached a zip file with the .fbx and all textures for assembling each material. on it. Everything should be named properly. I also provided a screenshot for each material to show how it's (generally) setup in the standard shader inspector.

A couple things to note:
1) The _Color on both materials is a linear converted half gray (.2195, .2195, .2195)
2) For each of the _DetailAlbedoMap textures, you will want to set the Power on their texture nodes to 4.5947380 <- This, combined with the first step is how Unity seems to blend base color with detail albedo
3) For the _MetallicGlossMaps, you will want to make sure that you set the UV Transform Scale to match the values in the _DetailMapScale node for both the RGB and Alpha nodes (hence my other post)

In the ideal world this SHOULD produce the look on the left side of the screenshots I posted above. Also, for some visual reference, the averaged grayscale value for the Glossiness channel in the Red Leather metallic gloss map is 0.69. So you can use that value to test sliders vs texture during your examination. Thanks again. Very much appreciated!

Asset download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=19ez1y8CVm-cXJQXSEF_xWrMiBkrYOwhL
jpetty7317

Postby jpetty7317 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:31 pm

jpetty7317 Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:31 pm
Wanted to also send over another more straight forward asset that exhibits the issue to an even stronger degree since it is ALL metal.

Asset download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1h643R37HRb75r1RhBefE5MZJ-uJpguSW
jpetty7317

Postby jpetty7317 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:02 pm

jpetty7317 Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:02 pm
Apologies for the inundation of replies here, but I did have a question in regards to colors. You may note in my reply where I supply the Red Chair asset, I mentioned doing a linear conversion on the materials _Color which starts as a half gray. I also mentioned having to set the Power of the Detail Albedo Map to 4.5947380. All of this is done under the guise of reproducing the way the Unity Standard shader blends base (albedo * _color) color and detail albedo.

I was curious if you had any input on whether or not this is even necessary or information on how you handle this in digesting Unity's Shader/Material properties into Octane. Should I leave it all alone? Press on with what I'm doing?
jpetty7317

Postby jpetty7317 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:34 pm

jpetty7317 Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:34 pm
Hi again!

I have done a lot more testing on this front with some other test assets and it seems I stand corrected on on some front. It does indeed appear to be the case that the Alpha channel for the metallic map is coming through just fine and is providing it's data through the Alpha Image node. However, beyond that things seem to get a little wonky. I have provided my test texture and a screenshot of the results I am seeing in the Unity scene.

The texture is full of roughness variation in the alpha channel, while providing a mix of both full white and fully black in the RGB for both metallic and nonmetallic material variation. In the screenshot, the inspector on the right shows the simple Standard shader setup. The top two views are the Unity Scene view and the Game view. As you can see, the material shows nice roughness variation across the entire surface, both metallic and dielectric alike. The PBR view is the lower view, and there you can see the issue. Surface roughness variation only seems to be getting applied/shown when the material is metallic, which explains my previous posts here since the whole chair is either leather or wood. I would like to think the desired result would be to parody the look of Unity's materials from this perspective, so I am curious if there is anything I can do with the texture or on the code side to make this happen. Or is this technically a bug in the automated material node builder when working with the Standard shader. Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Unity 2019.2.5f1
Octane plugin v1.2.0.1377
Octane v 2019.1.1(6000101)

Test texture asset: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1GU1w5otK3KmIsVfHfr_4GGI9NL6ydBjV

Material Albedo _Color: (77, 77, 77, 1.0)
jpetty7317

Postby brubey » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:54 pm

brubey Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:54 pm
I would like to bump this thread to see if there has been any progress made on this issue. I am currently running into the same problem. Metallic materials are showing proper roughness values, while non-metallic materials are disregarding the roughness all together. I have attached a few screenshots illustrating the issue. The table pictures has a metal top, and wood sides. I have removed all texture contribution excluding metallic and roughness. As you can see, the unity standard material renders properly in the viewport, but the octane render seems to ignore the roughness on the wood since it is non metallic.

http://imgur.com/PEfEKah
https://imgur.com/SBZ0Smu

Here is the material graph. I can see that the metallic map is being used to switch between 0 and 1 in the mix amount, but that seems to be disregarding the roughness in material #2.

https://imgur.com/Pq8JIf7

Any help getting this issue resolved would be greatly appreciated.
brubey

Return to Octane for Unity